Archived Gift card hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetargetman

I am a Guest once again!
Tonight I had a woman who tried to buy about $2000 dollars worth of gift cards that were on sale for 90 bucks and my STL stopped her and she wasted about 30 mins arguing to buy them. she then brought her friend to buy some and her to buy them. have any of you had one of these hogs come in?

Yeah, they're resellers. There's no official Target policy limiting quantities on gift cards- it's up to each store to set limits or not. Last time it happened the ETL just let the dude make the purchase.

I know that with Target Giftcards there actually is a legal limit of $5000 that you can purchase, and after that point you have to use some form of organization tax exempt to continue beyond that point. I don't know if that's only for Store Giftcards or if it applies to Visa/MC/AMEX giftcards as well.

(Only know because our store got in trouble for it once lol)

Make them buy 50 each. Make both of them have two transactions of 25 with them signing up for the debit and credit cards.

There's a best practice on it. Check workbench.

Tonight I had a woman who tried to buy about $2000 dollars worth of gift cards that were on sale for 90 bucks and my STL stopped her and she wasted about 30 mins arguing to buy them. she then brought her friend to buy some and her to buy them. have any of you had one of these hogs come in?

We reserve the right, to limit to reasonable household quantities (meaning 4 or 5). We've ALWAYS, had that policy, and this is a great time to enforce it.

Also - Worth Noting. A lot of these "big" gift card spenders, are or have used stolen credit cards to make their purchases in the past. AP should definitely be aware of the situation, and notified so they can get optimal video of the "guests" while there in the store.

I know that with Target Giftcards there actually is a legal limit of $5000 that you can purchase, and after that point you have to use some form of organization tax exempt to continue beyond that point. I don't know if that's only for Store Giftcards or if it applies to Visa/MC/AMEX giftcards as well.

I had a guest buying AmEx gift cards once, and I couldn't (POS wouldn't let me) scan more than $500 worth in a single transaction. This was a couple years ago, so I'm sure things have changed and nobody told me.

Last edited:
I had a guest buying AmEx gift cards once, and I couldn't (POS wouldn't let me) scan more than $500 worth in a single transaction. This was a couple years ago, so I'm sure things have changed and nobody tole me.

I know at some stores, there's a special coding in POS that prevents a guest from purchasing a certain limit, or amount of Visa & Amex gift cards. It's typically a corporate manual pos update, after fraudsters have struck.

According to the cashier training manual, the legal limit on the Visa/AmEx gift cards is five per day per person. Any more than that, the pos will stop you, and you are not to do separate transactions to get around it. But at my store, we require them to buy them on the same sale (if they want to split them up it's because they have stolen credit cards). This means they either won't be able to use them with any of the cards or won't buy as much.

Other than that, the only big ones I have on occasion are the Disney ones, and they are just using the REDCard to get the discount for their vacation (and may use their pharmacy rewards card as well). Those people actually seek me out to do the transaction because they know I'm fast because I know you only have to scan the authorization barcode and move on to the next gift card....so I have them in and out in a quarter of the time it would take the other cashiers to do it.

Correct! It is a FEDERAL regulation that requires individuals not to purchase more than $5000 in ANY form of gift card in one day in any combination of different gift cards. This includes iTunes, Target gift cards, and all others. As others have stated there is also a limit of on the Visa/Amex cards per day also. The system will prevent going over the limit in one transaction but it is up to cashiers to prevent multiple transactions to go over the limit. This is monitored at the corporate level and they will reach out to stores who are having issues following this regulation.

I can't stand resellers. These two were in their phones talking with eachother in what sounded like Chinese and I wish I could have stoped them when he was buying in the limit. But I know what they look like.

Do third party giftcards count towards the daily sales goal? I know regular store ones don't (until they're used).

I had a transaction where a couple was wanting to buy a Target giftcard for $2000 and was paying with check. I politely informed that I would have to get my GSTL to authorize a gift card for that much when a check is used. But the GSTL ended up calling AP to verify the funds for the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back