Archived Gift Card Purchase/Return Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is really really weird. I can't imagine what she's doing then. I'd still check for tampering next time she comes in. It's possible she has other merchandise in her car ready to go, and she's bringing in that stuff instead of the new stuff. It would explain how she's moving so fast. Maybe she's buying stuff online for really cheap, and then buying the same full priced stuff in store, and then returning the cheap stuff in place of the expensive stuff?

Does she appear to be mentally healthy? Maybe she's just a retail therapy kind of person. Heh.

It could be a syndicate really dedicated to messing with people's heads! Like, REALLY dedicated!

Seriously that's one of my top theories right now. From our perspective, they aren't making any money, so the only thing they're really doing is transporting merchandise from store to store. And creating reshop for us to put back, of course.

So, I was working the SD last night and a woman came in to return a couple of items that totaled over $1100. She purchased them at a store about 20-30 miles away the same day using gift cards and cash. Her return came up totally in cash. I don't have that type of loot in the drawer and didn't feel comfortable doing the return. I called the GSA, who came over and processed the return. My first inclination was to tell her she had to drive back to the original store and process the return since the purchase wasn't in our system yet, which is what I thought the GSA was going to tell her, but he didn't.

Are the items something they could be stealing AND purchasing? We've had people take towels and put 2 together, fold them back up, and it looks like there's just 1 so only 1 gets scanned. The same with clothes. Or if it's something small, maybe they're just putting them in a bag or purse and walking out with the additional one but actually paying for one. Then they return one.

Also, could it be possible they are paying for PART of the gift cards with counterfeit cash? Or using a stolen debit card? (I honestly don't know, would a debit card show up as cash if you look it up? I know I've had the option to get cash back when I've used mine and didn't have it with me...)

My final suggestion is that they are buying the gift cards fraudulently on the secondary market. There are sites where you can repurchase gift cards for a discount. If they buy them there, then get the balance transferred onto a different card via the purchase/return, it would be difficult to track & they end up with the value without paying for anything...or maybe they're simply buying them from actual people off Craigslist or something with counterfeit cash?

The items are too diverse; most of them could not be stolen and purchased as you suggested. The gift cards are purchased in store with cash.

Are the cards purchased at Store A, purchases made at Store B, then returns made at Store C? If the return is being put on a different GC, I wonder if they are then going to either return to Store A to use the card, call corporate and claim the $$ has been fraudulently stolen off the card, or otherwise somehow try and scam Spot for the original balance?

The solutions that involve editing the receipts don't make any sense, at least to me. When you do a return based on the receipt, you scan the receipts barcode or enter the receipt ID and VCD to pull it up in the system. Editing the paper receipts wouldn't edit what the system knows was on that sale, so what would that gain? Unless it's implied that the GSTL/LOD overrode the return amount to match the (fraudulently edited) receipt, but why would they do that without checking with AP/insidePOS first?
As @commiecorvus said, all of this info can be found on other sites or the dark web so I'll just post this here.

When these people buy something at your store, the server in your store keeps the transaction until the end of the day, then submits it to the target POS network. No other store's POS servers know about that transaction on the same day. But, sometimes people do same day returns at different stores. If they have a receipt, target won't just deny it, the computer will ask for the information it doesn't know (price, tax rate, etc) from the receipt the GSTM has. If they (as others have mentioned) altered the receipt's prices, the computer will be none the wiser when the GSTM inputs the altered price, giving them back more money than they paid.

So, scammer goes to store A and buys a $50 chair. Scammer drives to store B, edits the receipt (IDK how, don't ask me) to say the chair cost $250, then goes and returns it. The GSTM gets the receipt and the item, and scans the receipt. Store B's POS server still hasn't heard from store A's server about the details of that transaction (price, tax rate) so it asks the GSTM for that information. The GSTM enters $250 as the price, and the system gives it back to them on a gift card.

The solution to all of this? Overhaul the POS system so all transactions post instantly to a central POS server, and can be looked up by any store's computer for returns instantly. Of course that would require money and effort, and things are working pretty well right now, so why change it? The registers are already broken enough, this isn't gonna be high on the priority list, if it's even there at all.

They would buy say. $500 camera pay X amount in cash X amount on gift card
They then drive to another target 15-20 minutes away & register was giving them it all in cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back