Archived Giving change for a certain bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store, if you have a suspicious bill you must call the GSTL. They will take the bill to another bill checker and run it three times. If it passes, then we'll accept it. Sometimes the bill checker needs to be rebooted or a quick cleaning. IF ti doesn't pass, apologize to the guest and ask if they have another way to pay.

Ever since we got those red bill acceptors/checkers, our suspicious bills from the registers have dropped to almost zero. We might get one once every few months and it usually ends up being a new TM that didn't do what they were supposed to do.

Yeah, we don't have a bill checker.

At my store, if you have a suspicious bill you must call the GSTL. They will take the bill to another bill checker and run it three times. If it passes, then we'll accept it. Sometimes the bill checker needs to be rebooted or a quick cleaning. IF ti doesn't pass, apologize to the guest and ask if they have another way to pay.

Ever since we got those red bill acceptors/checkers, our suspicious bills from the registers have dropped to almost zero. We might get one once every few months and it usually ends up being a new TM that didn't do what they were supposed to do.

We have the red bill checkers but even if a bill fails three times and I call the GSTL they say "whatever just accept it"

The best thing to do is leave the payment bills on top of the coins, give the guest their change then put the bills in the slot. Also, say "out of" whatever amount they gave, so your neighbor cashier can hear.

The problem with leaving the "payment bills" on the coins is that it really messes up with your speed score.
If not the speed score, then the problem is when your are incredibly busy and you have to get guests through the line.

At my old store we had the counterfeit reader machines where you insert the bill and it's red light if fake/green if real. Cashiers were instructed to run bills twice, and if the machine still gave a red reading after the second try, they called me over. Ultimately I would make a final judgment. My store didn't get too many fakes but when we did, I was more than happy to deny them and inform the guest that we cannot accept the bills. I have heard of some stores that are told to take the bills anyway and I think that's crazy.

Speaking of counterfeits, we are told we have to take them. We can't question the guest or accuse them of passing fake money. All we can do is accept it and then make a note of when they came through, what checklane and any identifiers so they can check the cameras afterwards.

Who's the moron that told you that? Double check on that one, because that's totally absurd. AP would have our heads if we did that in my store. NEVER accuse the guest of purposely trying to use counterfeit money. Instead, you use your handy dandy bill scanner, and if it doesn't clear, you don't have to take the money. I like to say, "I'm sorry, I can't take this bill." If they challenge me, I say, "You'll have to take this to your local bank, it may be counterfeit. It's being rejected by our bill scanners." You can also say, "I can't take any bills at all if it's rejected by the scanner."

The bank line is actually true. If you ever find yourself stuck with a counterfeit bill in your wallet that you got in change somewhere, or at an ATM, you're supposed to take it to a bank, whom is then supposed to send it to Secret Service/you can go straight to Secret Service as well. So, fun fact. :p

If you don't have bill scanners, there are a ton of ways to figure out if a bill is fake or not. Check out this bill we got...with the worst watermark ever.
10928932_10204662606177809_8128971100131216920_o.jpg

During my GSA days I was running change over to electronics as a guy was trying to buy a large flat screen with $100 bills.
AP was already looking at the bills & asked me to take a look (since I did CO for 5 yrs).
I felt it (stiff & crackly) & looked it over before saying "Nope".
The guy said "What?! Why?"
I said "You want the short list or the long one?"
He left without buying.
No way we'd be able to do that today.

The problem with the scanners is that they will reject torn bills and accept bills for higher denominations printed on lower paper (ex: when they bleach out the 5 paper and reprint it as a 50.)

Once I realized this, I started using the scanners in combination with examining security strips in the bills.

Once I realized this, I started using the scanners in combination with examining security strips in the bills.
My store had none of the above technologies (no scanners or pens). My check was the "scratch test" on $20 and above. The print is slightly raised on all notes for the clothing area on the front of the bill, so you can quickly scratch the note and feel the print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back