Archived Giving change for a certain bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we can't open the drawer if someone wants change for a bill, but a lady wanted to pay for her $3 purchase with $60 (3 20s) to get a 50 dollar bill back, I now know she was trying to scam me after I allowed it because she tried to show me that a gave her 2 5s, and 2 ones instead of a 50, a five, and 2 ones. I told her we could review the tape to see and she left and said she would be back, lol if I really gave her the wrong change she wouldn't have left. But is that against the rules? I'm probably not gonna allow it again either way.

I know we can't open the drawer if someone wants change for a bill, but a lady wanted to pay for her $3 purchase with $60 (3 20s) to get a 50 dollar bill back, I now know she was trying to scam me after I allowed it because she tried to show me that a gave her 2 5s, and 2 ones instead of a 50, a five, and 2 ones. I told her we could review the tape to see and she left and said she would be back, lol if I really gave her the wrong change she wouldn't have left. But is that against the rules? I'm probably not gonna allow it again either way.
You most likely encountered a quick change artist. When you look down at the drawer or away she switched the bills you handed her for smaller ones she brought in with her, so quickly you didn't notice. You stopped her scam! Good job.

And whenever you're unsure, put your blinker on ASAP.
If the scammer sees a GSTL/ETL coming over, they usually backpedal pretty quick.
Best practices NEVER allows you to open your drawer to give change.
We always sent folks over to the service desk & only GSTL/GSAs could give out change.

We don't give out change. Period. If you want to break a bill, you gotta buy something.

We don't give out change. Period. If you want to break a bill, you gotta buy something.

Same at my place... and if u have a bunch of change we won't exchange it for bills but we will only take the amount to pay for something like if your buying gum or candy.

Take notice....this TM already had the drawer OPEN for the guest....the guest was buying a $3.00 item.

Anyway, $20.00 bills are often counterfeit bills. If the guest wanted the $50.00 the best thing would have been to give them the change for one bill and then have the guest go to guest services to get the fifty.

There are scammers all over the place. I'm sure that even the best of cashiers get scammed once in awhile.

dani346....you were very wise to tell the guest that the tape could be reviewed...to see what really happened. I've been a cashier for quite a long time and I don't think that I'd ever have come up with such a great answer! Hopefully, if something ever comes up (scammer or not) I hope that I can think fast enough to mention the camera and the tape!

Take notice....this TM already had the drawer OPEN for the guest....the guest was buying a $3.00 item.

Anyway, $20.00 bills are often counterfeit bills. If the guest wanted the $50.00 the best thing would have been to give them the change for one bill and then have the guest go to guest services to get the fifty.

There are scammers all over the place. I'm sure that even the best of cashiers get scammed once in awhile.

dani346....you were very wise to tell the guest that the tape could be reviewed...to see what really happened. I've been a cashier for quite a long time and I don't think that I'd ever have come up with such a great answer! Hopefully, if something ever comes up (scammer or not) I hope that I can think fast enough to mention the camera and the tape!

i use the counterfeit detector pen on almost all 20s and made sure to check hers.

this happened to me when i first started too i believe, and one other time but in slightly different ways. i told the "guest" that i was very sure of what i gave them, and when they tried to say no i gave them a look and told them again that i was sure and they backed off. cashiers have to be aware of what they're doing, i think i'm pretty good at that for the most part. this was the first time i used the reviewing the tape line, i thought it was pretty good, lol now i know what to say if something happens again.

my favorite part of this whole thing was that she tried showing me a 5 dollar bill that was crinkled up (like how people make paper fans), i know for a fact that it didn't come out of my drawer and that she probably had it in her fist.

When in doubt, count it out.

Why not just go to the bank? They usually give you nice new bills.
At my grocery store job, our customer service counter is literally right next to the bank (we can lean over the counter to talk to them) and people still ask us first.

You should of just gave her back two of the 20s and made change from last one. You would of never needed to look down

You must be a high volumn store, we wouldn't even have a 50 in the drawer. Later in the day we would most likely have some 100s. 50s are kind of rare at my store.

unless things changed (pun intended) we were allowed to break a bill provided we had the change to do so.

The best thing to do is leave the payment bills on top of the coins, give the guest their change then put the bills in the slot. Also, say "out of" whatever amount they gave, so your neighbor cashier can hear.

i use the counterfeit detector pen on almost all 20s and made sure to check hers.

Yep, people who have fake 20s generally count on unsuspecting cashiers to rely on that useless pen.

Here's the thing...most counterfeit 20s are made by whitewashing smaller bills...like 5s...and then make them to look like a 20. Since it's the same paper, the pen will tell you it's fine, and you won't look any closer at it to see that it is, indeed, fake.

Yep, people who have fake 20s generally count on unsuspecting cashiers to rely on that useless pen.

Here's the thing...most counterfeit 20s are made by whitewashing smaller bills...like 5s...and then make them to look like a 20. Since it's the same paper, the pen will tell you it's fine, and you won't look any closer at it to see that it is, indeed, fake.

people really do this? i try to take a closer look at all the money i am given, since someone let two clearly fake 100s pass through a few months ago. another thing i look for in 20s is the texture on the shirt. you can feel it on crisp bills.

yea when I worked cash office I found hundreds of dollars worth in counterfeit bills! some looked horrible and clearly fake and others looked so real but didn't have/have the matching 'water mark"

Speaking of counterfeits, we are told we have to take them. We can't question the guest or accuse them of passing fake money. All we can do is accept it and then make a note of when they came through, what checklane and any identifiers so they can check the cameras afterwards.

Speaking of counterfeits, we are told we have to take them. We can't question the guest or accuse them of passing fake money. All we can do is accept it and then make a note of when they came through, what checklane and any identifiers so they can check the cameras afterwards.

that's crazy. when there was a guy trying to use counterfeit hundred dollar bills, the cashier called over the gsa, the gsa called over hehe lod, the lod called over ap, ap denied it and looked at what car he was driving and got the license plate number i'm guessing..

Um, knowingly accepting counterfeit money is a federal crime.

Um, knowingly accepting counterfeit money is a federal crime.

Well it's not like it's always obvious and the theory is that the bill might be legit so falsely accusing them is a potential can of worms. Some of the old 50/100s can be difficult to judge.

At my store, if you have a suspicious bill you must call the GSTL. They will take the bill to another bill checker and run it three times. If it passes, then we'll accept it. Sometimes the bill checker needs to be rebooted or a quick cleaning. IF ti doesn't pass, apologize to the guest and ask if they have another way to pay.

Ever since we got those red bill acceptors/checkers, our suspicious bills from the registers have dropped to almost zero. We might get one once every few months and it usually ends up being a new TM that didn't do what they were supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back