A Message For Corporate

Nauzhror

Service Advocate, Formerly GSA
I know corporate reads these forums, which is good in this case. I want them to read this, and to know how stupid their new price change restrictions are.

Recently they added restrictions to the POS limiting what kinds of price changes you can make. The problem is that it isn't consistent, at all, it isn't well understood, and it creates a hostile environment for TM's.

Some departments can no longer have their price adjusted more than 25%. This was the maximum amount I could decrease the price of a Dyson at least anyway, I assume it is the case for other restricted items as well.

What this means is that a Dyson for example that is $449.99 cannot be price adjusted to anything below $337.49. By anyone. This is not a TM restrictions that a TL can override, it is a restriction in place for all employees.

Today I had a guest come in who received a Dyson vacuum. It was $449.99, they had gotten it for $224.99 as part of a 40% off sale combined with some other circle offer recently. It was defective. We no longer have an exchange option, which means the only way to handle an exchange is to return the item and resell it to them. The problem I am sure is evident, I can't lower the price of the new vacuum to $224.99. In the end we had to call corporate and have them send the guest a replacement vacuum.

Another scenario: Walmart has the Air Pods on sale for $69. There is no reason we should not be matching the sale.

It is in stock, sold by Walmart, does not require Walmart+, is not a clearance price, or a lightning deal. It meets all the criteria our pricematching policy outlines.

So we just pricematch it, right? Nah. You try and the register tells you to get fucked. Or at least it did, originally.

Yesterday it wouldn't let me match the sale price, today it did.

What this suggests is that when someone calls corporate and complains that a price match that should work doesn't, it gets changed, eventually.

The problem is that it's inconsistent. We are going to run into scenarios where someone comes in, tries to do a pricematch, gets told no, sorry, we can't do it. Then someone else will come in later and request the same pricematch, and it will work fine. Odds are, this is going to get back to some of the first guests, where someone they know will let them know they were able to match the price afterwards, and this will anger the first guest, and potentially result in them accusing us of discriminating against them. It's just a whole can of worms we shouldn't have to deal with.

Restricting TM's price adjustment capabilities is fine. Restricting TL's is not. Monitor the price changes TL's make, if they make changes that appear to be egregious, take action against them, but don't handcuff them and make it so no one in the store is capable of helping guests when it is perfectly reasonable to do so.

The other weirdness is that it's by no means a thing with all items. I changed a $200 Air Fryer to $5 without it stopping me. Clearly that's not sensible. I'd never really sell it at such a price, but I merely wanted to see if it would let me to try and figure out how the restrictions worked and what items were impacted by them.

Last edited:
Might the overall policy be changing, exactly because of what @Hardlinesmaster points out? Walmart often offers high-demand items for crazy-low prices to get customers in the door. (I'm a little surprised that Apple would allow them to sell at such low prices, assuming it's exactly the same product offered by other retailers?) It's part of how they drive competitors out of business or at least out of town.

Might the overall policy be changing, exactly because of what @Hardlinesmaster points out? Walmart often offers high-demand items for crazy-low prices to get customers in the door. (I'm a little surprised that Apple would allow them to sell at such low prices, assuming it's exactly the same product offered by other retailers?) It's part of how they drive competitors out of business or at least out of town.
I just fundamentally don't think the register should ever block a team lead from making a price adjustment. This also doesn't only affect price matches. It affects price adjustments of any kind, including sign/label error, missed circle, damaged item, etc.

Blocking TM's is fine, but the human should always have the final say when it comes to machine vs human. There are scenarios where price adjustments that might normally seem like a no-no have a valid reason to be done.

This one got me the other night. A game was advertised for $10 down from $60. Wasn't correct in the system though it was correct by shelf label and by zebra scan as being on sale. So I rang it up unidentified and asked the electronics dude to inventory audit one off. Only way I could think of.

Please do not offer ODTM to new hires. The taglines on Indeed and other sites read, "Work as little or as much as you like." Literally had people arguing they didn't even want to work 4 shifts entire season. When we stated they had accepted the offer for seasonal work center and not as ODTM, they wanted to know why something like this might be posted by corporate when in reality why would any store offer someone a job in which they could work one shift every 4 weeks, so 2 times during the season.
A better idea.
Invest in building up your workers and pull from stores that have excess workers. Better yet, permit all workers, just not ODTMs to work at other stores. This would come in handy when in Jan and Feb there will be no payroll and every newer TM thinks they are being targeted. They are not, this is just the beast of retail and it's cyclical payroll. I am sure the myTime for Target engineers can think of algorithms to ensure people work mainly at their own stores and not impose liability. I know this has been posed before so not sure what the hangup is corporate when you are literally looking for workers in a tight market.

I didn't think Target even did ODTM anymore but maybe that varies from store to store.

In a related matter is a "New Hire" the same as "Seasonal"?
Technically, yes new hires and seasonals are the same thing because both types of team members are given a leash of 90 days and can be termed if they don’t work out at the end of the period or season.

I didn't think Target even did ODTM anymore but maybe that varies from store to store.

In a related matter is a "New Hire" the same as "Seasonal"?
No, most new hires are not considered seasonal, but they do still have a 90 day probationary period during which they can be let go more easily than normal.

I don't see anything about Walmart selling the Airpods Pro for $69, only $169. No way they would sell it at that price, for the the Airpods 2 maybe..
It wasn't the pros. This thread was made weeks ago either way though. You do realize sales last a limited duration, yes?

My store did no price matching on Black Friday or Saturday. Otherwise they did.
We matched on every day, including black friday, just not doorbuster/lightning deals.

The blackout period around the holidays was done away with a few years ago and never brought back.

What irks me is that they implemented this rule with no change in the policy. It seems to be enforced on the department of the item, but no one has been given the list of departments this applies to.

Worse than that, even leaders get the same error as TMs, which should not happen, making an awkward situation when they are trying to fix a valid price match.

What irks me is that they implemented this rule with no change in the policy. It seems to be enforced on the department of the item, but no one has been given the list of departments this applies to.

Worse than that, even leaders get the same error as TMs, which should not happen, making an awkward situation when they are trying to fix a valid price match.
Yeah, if it was TM-only, I'd have no problem with it. My issue is that it can't be overrode, by anyone. We even had an ETL and the SD try, they can't do it either.

It wasn't the pros. This thread was made weeks ago either way though. You do realize sales last a limited duration, yes?

Ok you specifcally said the Pros and edited it out. Again, no one would sell the Pros for $69, doesn't matter when it was on sale.

what frustrates me is we advertise our great holiday price matching deal with signs around the store and ads over our speakers between songs. I'm a TL and three times I have had guests yell at me because I couldn't price match our own prices because it was past the threshold. it was missed sales, online sales, or an exchange (something we don't do but have a huge sign at guest service saying we do). it is embarrassing that we can't override this. guests get mad at and TMs get harrassed and our stores receive bad reviews that hurt the store and company. all for things we very well should be able to price match. if we can't price match, fine, but don't advertise that we can when we literally can't. a phone call to guest relations is not a price match, it's a hassle and a bad review.

what frustrates me is we advertise our great holiday price matching deal with signs around the store and ads over our speakers between songs. I'm a TL and three times I have had guests yell at me because I couldn't price match our own prices because it was past the threshold. it was missed sales, online sales, or an exchange (something we don't do but have a huge sign at guest service saying we do). it is embarrassing that we can't override this. guests get mad at and TMs get harrassed and our stores receive bad reviews that hurt the store and company. all for things we very well should be able to price match. if we can't price match, fine, but don't advertise that we can when we literally can't. a phone call to guest relations is not a price match, it's a hassle and a bad review.
I don’t understand some of these price matches.. we can’t be profitable if we are basically giving these items away. If the system doesn’t allow it tell them to pound sand or go somewhere else. I’m all for making a sale but I’m not going to do it in a way that hurts the bottom line.

If you are a guest that is going to argue over a price match im probably not going to honor it anyway.

I don’t understand some of these price matches.. we can’t be profitable if we are basically giving these items away. If the system doesn’t allow it tell them to pound sand or go somewhere else. I’m all for making a sale but I’m not going to do it in a way that hurts the bottom line.

If you are a guest that is going to argue over a price match im probably not going to honor it anyway.
The point is that whatever policy the registers are upholding are not matching what is on the Target website, causing frustration.

Invest in building up your workers and pull from stores that have excess workers. Better yet, permit all workers, just not ODTMs to work at other stores
i think this is the eventual end goal but i'm afraid on how its going to end since different stores have different leaders with different policies

Back