A Message For Corporate

This happened en masse today at my store.

2 cashiers scheduled until 11am, and then (because of a callout of one person) no one else until 4:30 !!!!!! Normal monday scheduling! Newsflash idiots, THIS IS NOT A NORMAL MONDAY IT IS A WEEK OUT FROM CHRISTMAS! Night scheduling is actually ok. But no, that morning staffing, we don't need that, do we? Not like the kids are all out of school and the moms and dads are gonna be out, right???

Constant backup calls, people from other depts, etc

They had TLs, ETLs, etc, coming in to fill in cashiering. I understand ETLs are probably on salary but JEEZ. Pretty soon we're just gonna have the managers doing everything.
The way they (fail to) schedule in anticipation of long weekends, holidays, spring break, Christmas shopping week never fails to amaze & enrage me at the same time.

The way they (fail to) schedule in anticipation of long weekends, holidays, spring break, Christmas shopping week never fails to amaze & enrage me at the same time.
I imagine it's largely the failure of individual store execution. Many stores do just fine working within the payroll restrictions they are given.

It's very easy to imagine scenarios in which ETL's failed to hire the right number of team members with the right availability to cover elevated Q4 needs.

I imagine it's largely the failure of individual store execution. Many stores do just fine working within the payroll restrictions they are given.

It's very easy to imagine scenarios in which ETL's failed to hire the right number of team members with the right availability to cover elevated Q4 needs.
Friday and Saturday are staffed just fine...I think you've got it here. They're still scheduling like the days were normal.

Oh but FF/OPU/DU can get unlimited overtime. Why would anyone come into the store, we don't need too many cashiers, right?

I didn’t fail to hire . My former store was a hard store to hire $$$$ , and then there was trying to hire overnight an other hard part . So I staffed what I could and then asked for extra 3$ for the team since I wasn’t getting applicants .
The team was happier they got the 3$ extra since most of the newbies can’t handle the shift of the workload .

No christmas bonus, or even a meal this holiday season. Yet inbound gets all the free disrespect that can be given. Yeah love this time of year.
I keep telling y’all, Y’all will be better off when you find a better job and quit Target. The company does not give a fuck about its employees unless you’re a manager.

Friday and Saturday are staffed just fine...I think you've got it here. They're still scheduling like the days were normal.

Oh but FF/OPU/DU can get unlimited overtime. Why would anyone come into the store, we don't need too many cashiers, right?
The only OT in our store is for backroom and GM. Some backroom tms work 60 hour weeks while FF/OPU tms do not get scheduled even 25 hours. (Also, FF/OPU teams consist of at least 2 new tms each week, requiring training (and are then sent to another team to "help out" during their scheduled shifts and at least 2 tms each week quit)

They are seriously watching hours at my store. Like zero overtime, no filling callouts, no shift extensions. For the week before Christmas? It's ridiculous.
Wow, our schedule is made to be bare bones (which is already ridiculous) but at least people can get all the OT they want these last couple weeks. That's crap.

They are seriously watching hours at my store. Like zero overtime, no filling callouts, no shift extensions. For the week before Christmas? It's ridiculous.
That happened at my store once when they overspent on hours early in December thinking that sales would be high enough to increase hours later. Those anticipated sales didn’t happen and Christmas week was no picnic. They even started letting the seasonals go before Christmas.🙁

The only OT in our store is for backroom and GM. Some backroom tms work 60 hour weeks while FF/OPU tms do not get scheduled even 25 hours. (Also, FF/OPU teams consist of at least 2 new tms each week, requiring training (and are then sent to another team to "help out" during their scheduled shifts and at least 2 tms each week quit)
We don't have backroom tms here unless you count the receiving lady

Not too into the loop on these things at my store, but anyone willing to work extra hours this week is welcome to have them, including OT. A couple of our GM TMs really like picking FF orders (and they're good at it, with low INFs and good speed), so they shift over to doing that when needed and other TMs push their truck. I suspect they're a lot better at it than one of our ETLs who does it somewhat often - she's so slow and inefficient that I can't imagine she'd still be there if that's what she hired in for. Don't know how it compares to other stores, but we have a huge number of SFS and DU orders. Seems to work out okay for everyone.

Again, They don’t care for employees. I couldn’t tell y’all how happy I was when my last day working there was over. Job I’m at now is so much better even if it’s got bs there, At least there isn’t as much fuckery.

I wasn't speaking of TMs, I was responding to the statement about TLs doing fulfillment.

Which honestly, they should. I'd rather see TLs helping in FF and front end rather than sitting around whooping it up in TSC or going out for their 12th cigarette break of the day, or other such bullcrap. You want to be management, well this is what it means. Oops.
I am a team lead. Just because your leaders are crap doesn't mean they all are.
I don't get 40 hours to shoot the breeze every week. I get in, check my emails and the truck, and then I'm out on the floor basically the rest of my shift. I don't mind helping fulfillment or backing up the lanes, but assuming that pulling me instead of a TM is less damaging to other departments is shit. My "something different" is TM work that needs to get done regardless.

I don't get 40 hours to shoot the breeze every week. I get in, check my emails and the truck, and then I'm out on the floor basically the rest of my shift. I don't mind helping fulfillment or backing up the lanes, but assuming that pulling me instead of a TM is less damaging to other departments is shit. My "something different" is TM work that needs to get done regardless.
It's been my experience as a lead at another company that the hourly managers do get pulled in both directions. They must perform leadership duties as well as work on the floor tasking. It sucks but that's retail. I have even seen store managers and ETLs working FF, pushing truck, and ringing.

I've been seeing ETLs up front ringing way more frequently lately. I feel like if an ETL is on the register then something has gone wrong...I appreciate they're willing to do the work but still

Our store offered price matching on Black Friday. Obviously, this involved verifying that the item was not a BF special, was not sold by a "marketplace-type" vendor and was in-stock. I was told it was okay to price match and did so on a couple of items.
this is the way.
you ate him up pookie

Last edited:
I've been seeing ETLs up front ringing way more frequently lately. I feel like if an ETL is on the register then something has gone wrong...I appreciate they're willing to do the work but still
I don't think most of my stores TL and/or ETL even know how to ring.

However you are also paying them more to do a job that a TM can do.

Cutting hours doesn't save you any money if you pay management to do that job.

Why do you keep saying that? The manager is already there. They are getting paid regardless of what they are actually doing.. If they had more TMs on to do those jobs, it would cost them more in payroll to pay those TMs. They aren't calling managers in to do it, the managers are already there. It's just now they are ringing or picking instead of doing something else. That something else will get done another time, maybe lol.

Used to be some tasks had to be completed every day, not anymore. There are days when Style doesn't get zoned at all. Nobody cares. Our basics pogs are shit and have been for a couple years now.

I keep telling y’all, Y’all will be better off when you find a better job and quit Target. The company does not give a fuck about its employees unless you’re a manager.
if its my store its unless youre a *salary manager. hourly TLs at my store are constantly abused and taken advantage of from our SD. I'm against management in general, it's pretty corrupt, but at the same time if they are going to enforce a management system then hourly TLs are paid waaayyyy too little for crap we are held responsible for just because we are "a leader in the building". I'm sorry but I should not be doing the same thing ETLs are doing/working the same hours as ETLs just because we are both leaders because in reality one of those leaders gets way more pay and benefits than I do. target- as all companies- doesn't care about any of it's employees. it's all to make a profit and make the rich richer. but alas, I do be needing the income and insurance they happen to provide me. we live in a society and all that, etc etc...

i agree exactly with what @happygoth said! they are there anyway. also if you're paid like 80k or more a year, cut hours to get a bonus, then I 100% expect your ass to get on a checklane lol delegating tasks isn't leading. supporting your team who gets paid less than you is putting in more of your labor for that higher pay. now, if you are a leader on the front who only supports the front or a leader in fulfillment who only supports picking... then that's an example of a leader doing a TM job for leader pay. but that's a different conversation...

i agree exactly with what @happygoth said! they are there anyway. also if you're paid like 80k or more a year, cut hours to get a bonus, then I 100% expect your ass to get on a checklane lol delegating tasks isn't leading. supporting your team who gets paid less than you is putting in more of your labor for that higher pay. now, if you are a leader on the front who only supports the front or a leader in fulfillment who only supports picking... then that's an example of a leader doing a TM job for leader pay. but that's a different conversation...
"cut hours to get a bonus"

I forgot all about that.

Again, they only have to make payroll by 1 hour to get a bonus. The bonus does NOT increase if they saved 1000 hours. It goes up for every $ over goal in sales. And if they don’t spend all their payroll, they will get less payroll the next year. The SD is strategically spending every hour given without going over. If they miss payroll by 1 hour but made sales goal by a million, they get NO bonus.

Again, they only have to make payroll by 1 hour to get a bonus. The bonus does NOT increase if they saved 1000 hours. It goes up for every $ over goal in sales. And if they don’t spend all their payroll, they will get less payroll the next year. The SD is strategically spending every hour given without going over. If they miss payroll by 1 hour but made sales goal by a million, they get NO bonus.
i admittedly dont know all the details of this so thank you for explaining it! i still stand by my point tho lol that one thing just happens to be another annoying factor 🤣

Back