CVS is going for a ride

The main pharmacist at my store is almost always late, sometimes significantly so. And one of the main techs is really unprofessional.
But I can't imagine the pharmacy in my store would close - CVS closed the nearest stand-alone store and all those patients were transferred over. How many stores can they close before it's no longer cost-effective and they lose too many customers?

Apparently standalone CVSs are having issues with their pharmacists as well. My local one had 3 pharmacists, and now they are down to 1 and running on limited hours. Huge backorder or wait time on fullfilling scripts. Since I can only go to CVS, I am about tempted to go to their mail order service.

Last edited:
Our CVS shortened their hours recently, closed on the weekends and only open until 6:00pm Monday through Friday.

CVS runs about 1800 locations within target stores. They are closing 66 only in small format stores. These are all stores that have a CVS in a very close proximity and have high cost of rent. CVS in small formats pay 10% of the annual lease. CVS isn’t going anywhere the same way target closing 5-10 small format stores doesn’t mean Target is going anywhere.

I wish Target Pharmacy would come back.
They had the coolest bottle design with flat sides that made it easy to read.
Also different colored rings so family members wouldn't get their meds mixed up.
Staffing was SO much better under them too.
But... I remember having to backup cashier in pharmacy. There was a whole special training and everything...

No thanks

Apparently standalone CVSs are having issues with their pharmacists as well. My local one had 3 pharmacists, and now they are down to 1 and running on limited hours. Huge backorder or wait time on fullfilling scripts. Since I can only go to CVS, I am about tempted to go to their mail order service.
mail order is the way to go. have you looked at mark cuban cost plus?

My prescrption plan is CVS Caremark. I am stuck.
the cost plus stuff is prescription plan agnostic and super cheap; i would encourage you to take a look. they don’t have all meds but they have a huge variety and using it even outside of my insurance dropped my rx cost by about 60% per month

But... I remember having to backup cashier in pharmacy. There was a whole special training and everything...
Our pharmacy ETL would pick a few reliable back-up cashiers, promise them pharm tech training while giving us just enough training to be able to count & fill. If nothing else they got a few extra hours a week during store-wide cuts. Pretty sure they eventually busted her for that tho.

They are closing 66 only in small format stores.
I can totally see this happening at my small format store honestly. While it is a replacement for a CVS that closed literally right across the street from my store, there is another CVS just 0.2 miles away in the same part of town

Back