Archived Giving change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, stupid question....if a guest asks for a couple of dollars in quarters with their change ($19.78 in change back), or fives for their $40 or a ten, a five and five ones for their twenty (both on debit cards cash back), can we honor those requests? I have been, but wasn't sure if that is okay or not.

Ok, stupid question....if a guest asks for a couple of dollars in quarters with their change ($19.78 in change back), or fives for their $40 or a ten, a five and five ones for their twenty (both on debit cards cash back), can we honor those requests? I have been, but wasn't sure if that is okay or not.

It varies store to store. We have a no change policy due to short changers, but I know others that will allow it.

Depends on how your drawer is, money-wise.
Just be careful if they start changing it up after you've got the drawer open. A common tactic for short-changers is to confuse the cashier.
Also, we don't give out rolls of coin. Our GSTLs tell guests that we have a finite supply needed to operate & direct them to the nearest bank.

If you're ever in doubt, just direct the guest to the Service Desk, especially if you sense something fishy.

The training guide for Guest Service indicates that we're supposed to give change, but due to AP issues we've been directed not to give out change once your drawer is closed.

If a little kid comes up and asks for 4 quarters for a buck, sure.
I won't break any other bills, though.

If they ask for it before I open my drawer, I don't have a problem, generally. I do get nervous, though, when I start running low on change and my GSTL/GSA has disappeared off the face of the planet. If I am lucky to ever get change, it takes at least an hour. Fine fun whe you've run out of 20s, 10s, and 5s.

For the longest time, I have been told that cashiers are to never give out change unless the drawer opens. And only then you can only give change for $20. You are to never NO SALE to open the drawer. No sales are always counted and tracked.

Best Practice is to send guests wanting change to Guest Service as they have larger cash funds. They are permitted to give change but it can only be for $20.

And guests cannot write checks for over the amount for change.

GSA/GSTLs are the only ones to do change for rolled coins.

At our store we have a no change policy, unless we're processing a transaction. We tell our cashiers to immediately give change out and close the drawer. We had problems with money shufflers where they'd try and confuse the cashier into giving more money back than they were supposed to.

We tell cashiers to say they aren't allowed to open their drawer, and if the guest has a problem with it, to call us over. Sometimes we'll make exceptions, as long as we know exactly what the guest wants, and it is a reasonable request.

As far as best practice, I think i remember reading that we are supposed to actually give change out, but I think a lot of stores set their own rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
We tell cashiers to say they aren't allowed to open their drawer, and if the guest has a problem with it, to call us over. Sometimes we'll make exceptions, as long as we know exactly what the guest wants, and it is a reasonable request.
^This. If they really just want change, they'll stick around for the GSTL.
If they're playing "confuse a cashier", they'll say "Never mind" & leave.

And most guests understand this. Target gives cashiers a lot more freedom with the register than a lot of stores (ever shopped somewhere where the cashier had to call a supervisor over to void a single item?). If you politely ask the guest to go to the service desk or wait for the GSTL/GSA to come over, most of them will be just fine.

Yes! When I worked at a grocery store, we could only void the very last item. I couldn't believe how easy it was to do here.

I've watched multiple short changer videos out of our store. It is remarkable how good they are. They prey on young ones. We had a guy carry on a 9 minute transaction on a $1.60 soda. He walked out the door with $550. We have had plenty of $200 hits. No change for you....cept for the kid.

Sadly, I had been on my lane for nearly 3 hours when I had that issue today. I am suspecting the request change function is just there to make me feel better.

Don't forget some guests work in pairs & will try to double team confuse you to the max. Thanks to the Forum last year who gave me heads up on how it's done. Plus, the ap-etl who shown all tm's the videos after my store got hit 4 times by the 2 guests in 3 days.

Ours was the chatty guy who, in the midst of a rush, handed a $100 (for a $4 purchase) then - after she had the drawer open - said "Wait, here" & swapped it out for a $5 bill. He kept chatting her up while holding out his hand for his change & the guest behind added their commentary. He stepped away then returned telling the cashier he didn't get all his change, showing her the receipt where she'd keyed in the $100. The guest behind (accomplice) who was now being rung up chimed in as witness.
When they tried it with me, it flopped because I didn't have ANY $100s in my till.

I would give change at a checklane, but I would always ask what specifically they wanted for the big bill before I opened the drawer. And if anyone ever tried anything funny after that, I'd slam the drawer shut. If a short-changer knows you're on to them, they'll usually just leave, even if they've ended up losing money. And it's always fun short-changing a short-changer.

Ive stopped one short change artist total in my time cashiering.

Same here, which is kind of disappointing. I mean yeah, I probably should be happy with a perfect record at 1 for 1, but I wish I'd had more opportunities. As TheWanderer pointed out, if you're better/smarter/more confident than they are, it can be super fun.

I had one try the $100 on a soda on me. I pretended like I couldn't hear him and just went about doing change as usual and shut my drawer. lol.

worked like a charm.

When I have guests that get cash back, I always ask how they want it (2 tens instead of a twenty, etc). We're right off of I90, so they sometimes need change for tolls. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

When I have guests that get cash back, I always ask how they want it (2 tens instead of a twenty, etc). We're right off of I90, so they sometimes need change for tolls. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

I dont think thats the problem nor would anyone have a problem with that. Its when you give them cash and they ask for some type of change after money has been handed.

If anybody ever tries to short change you, hand them their payment back. Put the tendered change back in the drawer. Scan the receipt, hit K6 Fix a Mistake, and then Wrong Payment. Enter in the new amount they're giving you, to ensure exact change is given and you're not short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back