Archived Giving correct change after wrong amount entered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new at this cashier job after retiring from a totally different job 10 years ago, so I am a senior working again. I am not good at math, in fact I have a mental block if I have to do math in my head, especially under pressure( customers watching). I love that the register tells me how much change to give back....... My problem occurs when I put in the wrong amount of cash the customer has given me and I have to figure it out for myself. I have put in the total instead of the amount of cash they gave me and I get so nervous when I have to give the change back. My question is after I enter the amount of cash and enter it and the drawer opens can I close the drawer and go back and correct the amount of cash given to me. I know this seems so like common sense stuff, but it for some reason is hard for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As long as the correct change is given after typing the wrong amount the drawer will total out correctly. It's obviously not something you want to happen often, but if it does just take your time to make sure you're giving back the correct change. I've had to use a calculator a couple times.

Depends on the amount to my fingers went to town on the keyboard at one point and i ended up owing 500 on a 20 bill 😂 we had to post void that one lmao. For the most part though it will balance if its given correctly

Yeah it’s not a big deal, it happens to the best of us. Just be sure to accurately do the math in your head and all that matters at the end of the day is that the correct amount of cash is in the register :)

Always give correct change... don't even close and reopen drawer. just give what you're supposed to give.

your post indicates this happens with relative frequency. if that's true, slow down and ensure you typed the correct amount of cash.

as for mental math, it helps me to think of it in pieces. like if the total is $37.72 and the guests hands me $50, I think like this:

I need to give them the difference between 37.72 and 50. So really I need to find X in 37.72+X=50.
well, 8 cents gets me to 37.80, 20 more cents gets me to 38. so I know I'm giving them 28 cents in change.
now I'm up to 38 even, so two more dollars is 40, then 10 more is 50.
change is 12.28.

I know that's kind of a roundabout way but it's how my brain works... I also get lost if I try to do it all at once.

The registers do not track change. As long as you provide correct change to guest.

I use a method very similar to Amanda's example if I type the wrong amount in. And this is a perfect example of what the new "common core" math seems to be aiming for the kids to do.

The total is $37.72. Count out pennies to get to the next "big" number. In this case, 3 pennies to 37.75. Next, add a quarter to get to $38. Now add singles to the next "big" number, in this case 2 singles to get to $40. Now a ten to get to $50.

Then I count out how much is in my hand so I can tell the guest how much their change is, and I let them know that I mis-keyed the amount paid in the computer so their receipt will not match what they actually handed me and what they're getting back.

Hi, I am new at this cashier job after retiring from a totally different job 10 years ago, so I am a senior working again. I am not good at math, in fact I have a mental block if I have to do math in my head, especially under pressure( customers watching). I love that the register tells me how much change to give back....... My problem occurs when I put in the wrong amount of cash the customer has given me and I have to figure it out for myself. I have put in the total instead of the amount of cash they gave me and I get so nervous when I have to give the change back. My question is after I enter the amount of cash and enter it and the drawer opens can I close the drawer and go back and correct the amount of cash given to me. I know this seems so like common sense stuff, but it for some reason is hard for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask for a calculator. We keep them at every register for this reason.

Another way to go.....scan the receipt and choose "fix a mistake"......then "wrong payment".........then follow the prompts to get through.......maybe this is not as fast as counting back change, but it can be done this way.

I use a method very similar to Amanda's example if I type the wrong amount in. And this is a perfect example of what the new "common core" math seems to be aiming for the kids to do.

The total is $37.72. Count out pennies to get to the next "big" number. In this case, 3 pennies to 37.75. Next, add a quarter to get to $38. Now add singles to the next "big" number, in this case 2 singles to get to $40. Now a ten to get to $50.

Then I count out how much is in my hand so I can tell the guest how much their change is, and I let them know that I mis-keyed the amount paid in the computer so their receipt will not match what they actually handed me and what they're getting back.
Funny how this is new again. Way back in the days before the register told how much change to give, this is how cashiers counted the change to the customer for every transaction.

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful. I thought I could not have my phone at the register, but after asking I found out it is ok as long as it is used to help do your job, so I am very relieved to know I can use the calculator on my phone.

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful. I thought I could not have my phone at the register, but after asking I found out it is ok as long as it is used to help do your job, so I am very relieved to know I can use the calculator on my phone.
Again though this should be something that happens like once in a blue moon. MAKE SURE you are typing in cash correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back