Answered GM responsibilities

Hi, I just finished my first week training schedule for GM of D/C (bedding furniture/home decor) and I'm still a little shaky on what exactly my responsibilities are.

All I've been doing is zoning and doing reshops for my 5 hours shifts. My trainer taught me how to backstock and how to pull things from the back, but either I haven't had to do that or I just don't know when I should. As far as I'm concerned my area looks good and I'm getting the reshops out in a decent amount of time (for a beginner). I haven't been yelled at or anything and my trainer keeps telling me to not stress too much about Target and just do my job and go home, the same advice which I received from my cashier trainer (nicest lady I've ever met in my life).

Maybe it's because I haven't had any opening or closing shifts yet, the earlier I've gone in was at 12 and the latest I've left was at 10, but am I missing something here? I spend 5 hours just zoning and doing reshops so at times it feels like there's not much for me to do but stand around and wait for a guest to ask a question or wait until some rude guests leave an area a mess so I can go zone it. Any tips for keeping myself busy so it doesn't look like I'm not doing anything?

Id expect your second week of training should fill you in on the rest. A typical day would be for you
1. Zone/Reshop
2. 1 for 1 pulls
3. Truck push

There are more stuff like pricing, sales planners, ect. Dont be afraid to ask your trainer questions.

You maybe a closing expert.
sounds like it. however most times a closer comes in at our store they will have part of the truck to complete and the order of routines is reverse truck push, one4one's, then reshop/zone. If you are scheduled before 3pm your an EXPERT for the day in whatever area you've been assigned. You'll be expected to zone/reshop for 30min to an hour, complete one4one's, and then push truck. In a 5 hours shift, this should give you a solid 3 hrs to push truck, most areas need around 2 hrs, but occasionally less or more and of course you may have to divide up your time to help other areas within GM. Best thing to do is let your lead know you've arrived and get time goals and expectations when they inspect zone. I will say home decor is not as easy as some leads think, lots of wrapping, box within box, styrofoam, etc... it can take a lot of time to just get the product ready to just go to the floor, this is one area they try the most to de-trash and have ready on FastMovers, but sometimes truck doesn't go smooth, so just expect hectic days, especially with Q4 starting up! Good Luck

You maybe a closing expert.
I wish they would've told me that after my interview or something so I could've asked all the right questions.

sounds like it. however most times a closer comes in at our store they will have part of the truck to complete and the order of routines is reverse truck push, one4one's, then reshop/zone. If you are scheduled before 3pm your an EXPERT for the day in whatever area you've been assigned. You'll be expected to zone/reshop for 30min to an hour, complete one4one's, and then push truck. In a 5 hours shift, this should give you a solid 3 hrs to push truck, most areas need around 2 hrs, but occasionally less or more and of course you may have to divide up your time to help other areas within GM. Best thing to do is let your lead know you've arrived and get time goals and expectations when they inspect zone. I will say home decor is not as easy as some leads think, lots of wrapping, box within box, styrofoam, etc... it can take a lot of time to just get the product ready to just go to the floor, this is one area they try the most to de-trash and have ready on FastMovers, but sometimes truck doesn't go smooth, so just expect hectic days, especially with Q4 starting up! Good Luck
I just checked my schedule for the next two weeks and I don't come in before 3pm once. Does that change anything? Hopefully this coming week my trainer teaches me how do to all that pushing truck stuff regardless just in case I eventually have to close.

I wish they would've told me that after my interview or something so I could've asked all the right questions.

I just checked my schedule for the next two weeks and I don't come in before 3pm once. Does that change anything? Hopefully this coming week my trainer teaches me how do to all that pushing truck stuff regardless just in case I eventually have to close.

Sounds to me that just like Hardlinesmaster said you are a closing expert would should only entail to do reshop and zone. But if you would be at my store I would rather you focus on zone than returns . Trying to do both would only make me do double the work .

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're starting at 3 you're a closer. Zone/reshop/(ad takedown on Saturdays). 1-1s and/or out of stock batches, if your store has time for them (mine doesn't). Maybe some lingering freight if you come in at 3 (when I come in at 5, they've cut off truck push for GM).

They're trying to break up home/domestics a bit at my store, because it's just not possible these days for one person to even get through zone of stationery/office/bedding/bath/lamp/furniture/dec home/storage/kitchen in a 5 hour shift, including reshop, guest service & backing up the lanes. Used to be I could get through zone in a couple hours as long as it was zoned nightly, which left time for pulls & reshop, but these days if I have to do any pulls, I'm toast. The store is just that much more trashed since Covid, for whatever reason.

Do what you can. Focus on the stuff that is most important--take care of reshop, fill empty areas, tidy up the bad areas if you can't get to it all (rugs & towels), and tidy/fill endcaps. If your leaders give you more than you can accomplish, ask for what they'd like prioritized. If they don't suck they'll understand and give guidance.

Back