Archived Go for a promotion, no interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
So late last month a promotional position opened up for my store. I applied for the position as normal. I found out a different position opened up that I feel I am a better fit for a few days after. I went to HR and told them of the interest in the new position that I'm interested in. I got with the ETL of the department to set up an interview. I scheduled a tentative interview on a day that I was off. I say tentative because I was to talk to a different ETL to confirm getting a working shift so that the interview could happen during the extra shift. There was no communication to me to come in for the interview/extra shift. I was unable to come in on this tentative day due to personal problems and did not call to let them know I was not coming in. My next shift in I was regrettably late because I looked at the wrong schedule. The ETL pulls me aside and tells me I am very unreliable and not suited for the promotion. The ETL placed all the blame on me for not coming in on a scheduled day off for an interview.My attendance has not been an issue in the past. I feel that if he didn't hear from me after a certain point HR should have called me in to work. I told him I still wanted an interview and that even though they feel that way I am right for the position. It's an isolated incident that will not happen again. Time passes and I find out the position has been filled and I have not had an interview. Should I call corporate and talk to my STL about this?

I don't think I would call corporate.
Sounds like some major miscommunication but ultimately it falls to you because you want the promotion.
If you want to move up than you will make sure that you are where you need to be for the interview (a half hour early) no matter what.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to agree with commiecorvus....you shouldn't call Corporate, and I really don't feel as though you should complain to your STL either. Though there was some miscommunication, YOU DID NOT CALL to let them know that you wouldn't be able to make it, even if it was a "tentative" date for the interview, plus the next shift you were late. Did you call to say that you were going to be late?
If you don't show for an interview (even if it's tentatively scheduled), and you don't call to let them know that you are unable to make it and try to reschedule, then it does reflect poorly on you.

I'm not trying to sound mean or sound like a troll here, but demonstrate accountability here, learn from this, and prove that when another position opens, wheher it is at your store or another, that you are worth not only the interview, but also the promotion.

I hate to say this, but you blew it. Period. If you wanted the promotion you should have been there. The ETL was right to place blame for you not coming in on a scheduled day off. Calling corporate will do absolutley nothing but stir up trouble. If your ETL's feel like you will call them at the drop of a hat when you are surely wrong you can kiss any further promotions goodbye. Suck it up, and wait for the next time around. In the mean time think of this as an oppritunity to brush up on your interviewing skills.

I as well have to agree with everyone. It's an unfortunate situations for all people involved. But from the sound of it, your the one who made all the arrangements for the interview then didn't take appropriate actions when you couldn't stick to your commitments. Learn from this and take action in your own development.

As others have said - It's YOUR fault. You messed up. This is a position you wanted. You went around making plans with others and then you didn't stick to the plans. You didn't communicate with the leadership team, you didn't show you are responsible enough to even try and hold a higher position. Now since you messed up you want to call corporate and whine? What do you think they are going to do? I wouldn't interview you either. You are playing the victim and everyone sees you are responsible for the mistake. When you grow up and stop trying to place the blame you will see you are wrong. You are clearly not ready for the position.

If you are interviewing to be a team leader, then they are probably going to look for some leadership skills. Not confirming anything, having something come up, and then coming in late the next day (even if it was a bad coincidence) does not scream leadership material.

One of the things I'm slowly learning to do lately is how to be proactive. Turns out, I get a lot more that way....it's taken me a long time to learn that.

That is such a good thing to read, someone learning something and acting on it. OP, you need to pay attention to this.

As others have said - It's YOUR fault. You messed up. This is a position you wanted. You went around making plans with others and then you didn't stick to the plans. You didn't communicate with the leadership team, you didn't show you are responsible enough to even try and hold a higher position. Now since you messed up you want to call corporate and whine? What do you think they are going to do? I wouldn't interview you either. You are playing the victim and everyone sees you are responsible for the mistake. When you grow up and stop trying to place the blame you will see you are wrong. You are clearly not ready for the position.

You could've been a little less hard on him. Clearly everyone has told OP he blew it, no need to rub it in and berate.

If you become an ETL & have to come in to an early AM conference call because of poor performance, this is NOTHING compared to the drubbing you'll get there.
Spot demands a lot from their leadership, be it realistic or not.

As others have said - It's YOUR fault. You messed up. This is a position you wanted. You went around making plans with others and then you didn't stick to the plans. You didn't communicate with the leadership team, you didn't show you are responsible enough to even try and hold a higher position. Now since you messed up you want to call corporate and whine? What do you think they are going to do? I wouldn't interview you either. You are playing the victim and everyone sees you are responsible for the mistake. When you grow up and stop trying to place the blame you will you are wrong. You are clearly not ready for the position.

Oh so you're just an ******* in general i see. OP didn't ask you if you would interview him based on the circumstances, or if you thought that he was "ready" for the position. In case you missed it, he asked if he should call corporate. Your lack of reading comprehension makes me question of YOU should've ever been hired to work anywhere.

Oh so you're just an ******* in general i see. OP didn't ask you if you would interview him based on the circumstances, or if you thought that he was "ready" for the position. In case you missed it, he asked if he should call corporate. Your lack of reading comprehension makes me question of YOU should've ever been hired to work anywhere.

Ixnay on the ********
Try to keep the name calling to minimum please, for all our sakes.
Grownups don't need to do that.

And you're probably right after almost a dozen posts telling him the same thing I think the OP has probably got the point.
At least I hope so.

You could've been a little less hard on him. Clearly everyone has told OP he blew it, no need to rub it in and berate.

You replied to the same post twice within a 20 minute time period. Look kid, I understand you got your feelings hurt and you want to lash out and prove you're some internet badass but it's making you stupid. If you look into OP's post you can see he's doing more than asking if he should call corp. He's venting and he's looking for others to agree with him and blame the store management. Why would he call corp? What does he think they are going to do? His comment reminds me of TM's who threaten to call the hotline because they didn't get an availability change approved.

Well stupid rules hates everyone, I don't think I've seen him have anything nice to say in anything he posts..

Anyways @OP, I don't know your situation entirely so I won't judge whether you are a good fit or not for a TL... But anyways, it sounds like there was a breakdown in communication along the lines somewhere, and communication is one of the team commitments. I usually find myself having to follow up on stuff a lot, and even though it may not be my responsibility per se, it helps to avoid bad situations. For example this week I had to switch shifts with one of my GSA trainees, because she couldn't close; my Team Leader was supposed to change it in MAX, but wanted to wait until she was 100% sure we were switching since a week beforehand it was kind of 'tentative'. I had to follow up with her a couple times on it to confirm.

Anyways, best of luck in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP: If you're serious about a promotion, especially at Target, communication is a must. I cannot stress this enough. So many things go wrong when there is no communication. Sure, your ETL could've been less of an ass about it, but like everyone else said, if you want the promotion, you need to be responsible and communicate.

TH12 and Imerzan: Please give it a rest. Spot's neverending stream of BS has driven him past the point of bitterness, to the point of unrestrained bluntness. Please don't light his fuse, it's short enough already. We're here to learn, teach, and vent; not to fight with each other.

I'm not trying to sound mean or sound like a troll here, but demonstrate accountability here, learn from this, and prove that when another position opens, wheher it is at your store or another, that you are worth not only the interview, but also the promotion.

Nice use of an expectation... This is one of those moments the OP can either handle this poorly (and blow any chance of a promotion) or learn from it and use it as a "Tell me about a time you made a mistake" type of interview questions...

TH12 and Imerzan: Please give it a rest. Spot's neverending stream of BS has driven him past the point of bitterness, to the point of unrestrained bluntness. Please don't light his fuse, it's short enough already. We're here to learn, teach, and vent; not to fight with each other.

I'm not that bad am I? I just get annoyed easily because I see what's wrong in a situation (we all do but I am just speaking for myself) and offer help to correct it, correct it, try to correct it, etc. but it never comes back good. I didn't realize I was being that much of an ass on here, I'll tone it down.

I'm not that bad am I? I just get annoyed easily because I see what's wrong in a situation (we all do but I am just speaking for myself) and offer help to correct it, correct it, try to correct it, etc. but it never comes back good. I didn't realize I was being that much of an ass on here, I'll tone it down.

I'm sorry, I probably made you sound a lot worse than you really are. You're a valuable part of our community here, and I respect your opinions and your methods for solving problems. We all work(ed) at Target, bad days are bound to happen. To me, it seems like what's happening is that we're not receiving the ideas you're conveying the way you intend us to (i.e. we get the impression that you're an angry person who hates your job, but maybe you're really not, it was just a bad day). It's like in middle school when you're trying to talk to the pretty girl in the hallway, and you stutter and mangle your words, so you feel like an idiot because pretty girl got a bad impression.

LOL I love how people stop posting/checking the thread they make when they don't get the answer they want...
Hrm..

Sorry. :p

LOL I love how people stop posting/checking the thread they make when they don't get the answer they want...
Hrm..

Sorry. :p

Actually, looking at his/her profile, it looks like they asked the question and never came back to even see any of our answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back