Archived Going for the PA position

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a morning shift PA position has opened and a team lead suggested I try and get it. I know this may vary from state to state (or is it store to store), but what the general hours of a morning PA and how much of a salary increase would that be? If it's decent, then I know I'm making the right choice.

I'm tired of the bitter, spiteful cliquish behavior of the overnight shift. I'm sure dayside isn't much different, but I don't think it's quite as out of control.

I've been a PA for 5 months now. Due to the fact that I go to college, I currently do mid-day shifts now. However during the summer when I was open 24/7, I would work morning shifts and they were from 6:30 am until 3 pm. Also I received $1.50 raise. I usually average about 38 hours a week

I get 40 hrs per week, work both day and evning shifts... 6AM - 2:30PM and 2PM to 10:30PM. The increase in pay isn't much, it's a move up and you get 40 hers / week and every other weekend off.

I just got promoted to PA about a month ago. For us, opening shift is 6a-2:30, and closing is 2:30-10:30. I got a dollar raise when I started (PA is paygrade 09 I believe). You're busy from the moment you clock in to the moment you leave, but I've really enjoyed it so far. You'll have more responsibility as you're basically in charge of the PFresh area, and it's pretty much all independent work, so if that's the stuff you enjoy definitely give it a shot.

I never interact with our PAs anymore since most of them only work morning shifts but at our store they have been getting around 20 hours a week. We have four and I think some of them don't want to work evenings. It's not a guaranteed 40.

We typically get 40 hrs a week, got a pay raise of $1 (started out at base pay). It's a lot of work, but if you have a good group it's worth it.

I get 40 hrs per week, work both day and evning shifts... 6AM - 2:30PM and 2PM to 10:30PM. The increase in pay isn't much, it's a move up and you get 40 hers / week and every other weekend off.

2 to 10:30 for closing. I can only dream :music2:

We have to be out at 8 for closing and zone everything in Market

Good lord how do you get anything done? Most of the time I don't even start zoning pfresh til 9:45 or 10 cause I have a million other things to do

Good lord how do you get anything done? Most of the time I don't even start zoning pfresh til 9:45 or 10 cause I have a million other things to do

Try the best we can. For closing its work out all the pulls, milk, bananas, zone everything, quick cull in bakery, meat and anything dated produce, and meat coupons. All in a 2:30-8 shift. Its a very hard thing to do and barely anyone can do it that fast. Add that to the fact we usually have 1 person on the entire floor until 6:15 other than electronics and fitting room and we have to help a bunch of guests too. And we go through mini seasonal and seasonal to get to our backroom so theres that.

This past sunday the LODs were getting on the closing Market TMs case about not getting all the "tasks" done. "Tasks" meaning the entire zone. I guess they didnt take into account he was only scheduled 2:30-7 and obviously isnt going to get that done in that ammount of time. They had asked him to go backup when he had perishables out, which he told them, and they responded by saying something like well thats fine you can just help with the CAFs then. So apparently they thought we needed to help the store even more than market had allready even though for the morning opening I helped with ad for 40 minutes, zoned the whole paper section, worked out reshop, and did a full tub of the morning dry grocery autofills because one of our backroom called out and they were way behind. I guess we just didnt do enough to help other areas that day. :huh:

Dont get me wrong though, I love doing pfresh and I love the challenge and working by myself and setting my own standards for what to get done. Pfresh is def a place for someone who enjoys constantly multitasking, working without much direction, and who wants to take on alot of responsiblity.

Last edited:
I'll second what pfreshdude and others have said. PFresh is definitely an area that takes a lot, and you're working alone most of the time. If those appeal to you, then I would say go for it!

It depends on the food culture in your store. If you have management who understand pFresh and what it needs, PA is a great position to have. But if you've got leadership who are clueless about exactly what it entails, it's an awful job. My store has a great food culture so I feel supported by getting the hours and help that I need, but at other stores I've been at, it's a living hell. If your store is the kind that want you to all your tasks AND zone ALL of market in six hours, run screaming into the night. It ain't worth it.

It depends on the food culture in your store. If you have management who understand pFresh and what it needs, PA is a great position to have. But if you've got leadership who are clueless about exactly what it entails, it's an awful job. My store has a great food culture so I feel supported by getting the hours and help that I need, but at other stores I've been at, it's a living hell. If your store is the kind that want you to all your tasks AND zone ALL of market in six hours, run screaming into the night. It ain't worth it.

The problem with my leadership is they expect us to have perfect "closes" and zones in market even though we are only scheduled til 8 most of the time and that just isnt enough time to get everything done. They also expect us to now go around the ENTIRE store before a break, meaning every main aisle and guest service and also talk up the REDcard. If we were scheduled an actual closing with the rest of the salesfloor and get out at 10 pfresh close would go so much smoother and everything would look nice. I feel like it is a frantic stressed filled shift everytime I close.

The other night I just flat out told the LOD I had this many aisles left and I am only scheduled til 8 and can only do what I got done with the ammount of time given, especially since my first 30 minutes were spent on something other than Market that I was dragged into. Than when I got to the back a whole bin of QMOS was waiting for me from the opener and the Banana Pallet needed to be taken care of since C+S came in that day.

And its not like on zone I can just skip half of things that need to be done you know? If there are things that need to be pushed up and covering the diamonds im not just going to go down the aisle skipping half of them, im going to actually zone and not half ass it to where when I leave half the zone looks like garbage again. Then they have the balls to ask me if I did reshop, like seriously, where do you think I have the time for all of this. Have you seen a clone of me around here or something?

Last edited:

Agreed. Yes there are times where I may be asked to help with a cart of reshop, or help backstock if the coolers are a mess, but my pFresh tasks come first. The cull we do in morning/night is expected to be you touch every item in that area, check everything for a date, make sure the area is a good experience for the guest. Most of the time even zoning dairy/produce waits til the last thing on my list. I can't imagine having to do my nightly routine in 6 hours. If I close on a truck night I barely get everything done in 8 hours cause there is almost always leftover truck that needs pushed out on top of nightly duties. Truck is the only area that we get short-changed on at my store, but we've been doing a little better with it lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back