Got a final warning for being quick changed/scammed/short changed at the register

This whole situation has been a lot to deal with. So - for the rest of my shift, (I work in food and beverage/market) I’m on register which, for the most part, isn’t that big of a deal as it breaks my shift down a bit. Two guests come to my lane and put their items on the conveyer belt (it was tons and tons of makeup. Supposedly gift sets for bridesmaids 🤷🏻‍♀️) and I start taking care of them. As I make sure each item is scanned, I can’t help but notice the order is getting really expensive. The total was over 2,000 dollars expensive. But I digress. The guest hands me cash and, in my head, I’m thinking, “Okay she’ll be paying the rest on a card then”. I was mistaken af. They were, little by little, handing me 500 dollars in 50s which was also shocking af, but I pushed that aside. I was, however, starting to get understandably uncomfortable at the amount and decided to break apart the amount by entering 500 dollars to help calm down the discomfort. Now - here’s where I was to call a TL for help because (as the HR ETL and closing expert TL told me), I needed help with it. Here’s the thing: I don’t remember ever being told that prior. But, back to the story, I’m being handed all the money in chunks and then the guest takes the money I’m working on getting counted and organized in my head and proceeds to count it in front of me. I’m guessing fuckery happened in that moment idk.

Two days later, I’m called into the office by the HR ETL to be told I was shortchanged which was understandably shocking. After being asked to retell my story, my mind racing as I started crying, I get told of the two things that could happen: final warning or coaching. I later go back to work and was a wreck. I wanted to go home and hide, but I didn’t. I later had to go help on register and was skittish af. The front end TL brought up the situation and I immediately responded, “wow they’re telling everyone, aren’t they” because little did I know, I didn’t know leaders knew. I wound staying home the next day because I just didn’t want to deal with it.

I came in the next day and met with the HR ETL to be told a final warning had been decided. Thankfully it ends next year in April. The whole thing has made me update my resume and start slowly looking for a new job. The lack of communication has been outstanding.

I’m writing this in case anyone knows what’ll constitute my getting terminated? I was told performance issues and attendance, but does that mean if I mess up with like an OPU, I’ll be okay?

I very much appreciate your reply and have definitely been considering staying off register so it’ll just be a matter of whether or not I’d be able to.

I have no insight to offer. Every time I hear a story like this about how someone rips off a business though, I'm appalled again at how bold some people are in their thievery. This is way more than slipping an eyeliner pencil into their pocket.
I assume that AP was brought into the situation so they can keep a watch out for those thieves, because it sounds like a substantial dollar amount. If they get away with it once, they'll likely try again.
Like @Captain Orca says, call a TL if you suspect something shady is going on. Take a deep breath, tell yourself to keep calm. Either the thieves take a chance and wait or they don't, but you'll stay out of trouble.

A couple of observations.

These scammers probably waited for someone who doesn't ring much to pull this off.

Target hadn't decided whether it was coaching or Final Warning is bullshit considering you aren't mainly a cashier.

AFAIK your Final Warning means you can't transfer to another department but CAN be transferred.

Finally that Final Warning will be used to justify a terrible raise next year regardless of your work performance until then.

I would quit.

I once saw someone trying to confuse a young lady cashier (looked like a college kid) at Wegmans. I can't stand people who abuse cashiers. I suggested she just stop the transaction, leave everything on the belt (I was on line behind the offender) and call for a front end supervisor. She arrived and they slowly began to re-scan everything slowly and accurately. I could see she was at ease. Nice friendly kid. (I'm never in a rush while shopping)

Advice to new cashiers, never ever let anyone fast talk you. Be meticulous, cautious and go as slowly as needed to properly service the customer. If at any time you feel intimidated or confused just pause, stop if necessary and get help. Remember your front end TL, ETL, supervisor or whatever the hell you call them is on YOUR side, your team, not the customers.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.
Scam artists train themselves to recognize new folks and people who would be easily overwhelmed on the registers.
They use tricks that are literally hundreds of years old and have names just like baseball pitches.
This is their job, their way of making a living.
So don't feel bad about it happening to you.

Spot should feel bad for not training you on how to deal with them and they sure as fuck shouldn't have put you on a final for it.
They fucked up, not you.

Next time you feel the slightest bit flustered or unsure of what is going on, close your drawer and call a TL.
Don't let the customer count the money once you have touched it, take it and put it on top of your drawer.
If they want to do a different exchange, say they found a smaller bill or exact change always take the amount before you give them back the larger bill.
But do it slowly and calmly no matter how many people are in the line behind them or how much they are pushing to get it done.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies. It’s given me both a lot of comfort in this situation as well as things to consider. Spot goofed up.

This reminds me about my Tl when he was scammed with the K1 .
Sd , Ap and we didn’t coached him but we did give him a hard time by saying you’ve been here for 20 plus years and let some kid scammed you 🤣

Yeah, add on to my post.
Never let a guest customer tell you how to use the cash register.
Even if they say they are a TL from another store or something.
Don't push any buttons they suggest.
They might be a fellow employee who is seeing you struggle and wants to help.
But if they are, they will understand why you can't do it.

Advice to new cashiers, never ever let anyone fast talk you. Be meticulous, cautious and go as slowly as needed to properly service the customer. If at any time you feel intimidated or confused just pause, stop if necessary and get help. Remember your front end TL, ETL, supervisor or whatever the hell you call them is on YOUR side, your team, not the customers.
Literally first day doing returns alone and 2 ladies show up trying to return bathing suits with merch pro still attached. No receipt. Told them" I wasn't sure how to process the return" ,and called an LOD. Split second later one of them whips out a pad and pen and starts to write down my name and they both start screaming " white man white man" . For 10 minutes they berated me in front of the whole store for profiling them, said they knew our hrbp and wanted corporate email address.
A week later I get pulled into the office to explain my side. Long story short...return never processed even by LOD and no write up. AP later told me these two did not come into the store with any thing but a small purse and walked around the store before coming to guest services. Also we were in the middle of a remodel and everything was chaotic .

Back