Archived Got a job in my field, wondering if I should quit Target or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a Bachelor's degree in Human Services, and recently moved to a new state, where I quickly got a job at Target for some income until I could find something in my field. 3 months later, I was offered a job that I am accepting. The job is Monday through Friday, no weekends.

Here is my question. I obviously can't work M-F at Target anymore, and would rather not work every weekend and have no days off. Can I change my availability to only work like every other weekend or something? What is the least amount I can work in order to still be employed there? Also, is there a way to even say I'm available on the weekends, but not every weekend?

I'm going to talk with HR tomorrow at work, but just wanted to get some feedback here first.

I won't be heartbroken (at all) if I have to quit Target, but the little bit of extra income would be nice.

Thanks!

It all depends on the chain of command at your store. My ETL understood so he allowed me to work 1 day a week. Others may not understand. Are you working a 9 to 5 or something close to that? You can always work something like a 6 to 10 or 11 at Target on a random weekday or two.

The only way you can get every other weekend is to write it down on the comments field of your availability change, pester your ETL(s) about it for a while, and pray (or dance around or whatever you may or may not do) to DOYC to see it get through to them.

Congratulations!
Always great to hear when someone finds work in the field they love.
Just be honest with with the HR, you don't have anything to loose and if they value you and want to keep you they'll do it.

It really just depends on your position and your store's management and HR but do run it by them. And especially attentive to edit you out of the schedule if somehow you were scheduled.

I worked a second job at a TV station at one time. First working part-time at the station and Target fulltime. Then within a few months, I moved up to full time (station) and still switched to part time at Target. When I went full time at my station (Tues-Sat), my HR said I would have to work at least 1 shift per week in order to keep my current benefits and least amount of paperwork. But I ended up working Saturdays and Sundays, and with the possiblity picking up Monday shifts. And my Target said if I wanted to have alternating time off (similiar to what you are thinking)...I would have to put in leave forms for each of those weeks as changing availability to 0 is not traditional accepted.

I have some old Target friends that still work 1 shift a week at Target in order to keep their benefits until their primary job benefits kicked in or they got off initial probation, or to have benefits from both jobs.

Last edited:
I used to do weekends Oct. thru Dec. then take a leave of absence the rest of the year. Maybe they would let you do that, weekends for the 4th quarter only. If you take a leave of absence your discount card is still active.

So I have a Bachelor's degree in Human Services, and recently moved to a new state, where I quickly got a job at Target for some income until I could find something in my field. 3 months later, I was offered a job that I am accepting. The job is Monday through Friday, no weekends.

Here is my question. I obviously can't work M-F at Target anymore, and would rather not work every weekend and have no days off. Can I change my availability to only work like every other weekend or something? What is the least amount I can work in order to still be employed there? Also, is there a way to even say I'm available on the weekends, but not every weekend?

I'm going to talk with HR tomorrow at work, but just wanted to get some feedback here first.

I won't be heartbroken (at all) if I have to quit Target, but the little bit of extra income would be nice.

Thanks!

The income -and discount- are nice, but if you have a BA and are passionate about your major and they won't work with you; screw them and for that job. You'll probably be happier in the long run anyway, and if the money is better... why wouldn't you? More than likely if you try to explain the situation, they'd be all like "o_0" about it or say "Okay, fine," and then try to call you in when you are "unavailable"; I remember like the first day I worked when I got the day off they were like, "Shut your phone off and keep it off for the day," and now I understand why. Oh, Target!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back