Archived Got denial email- test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I joined this group but then got the denial email this AM. I'm really unsure why I got a denial but I think it might have something to do with that test they make you take when you do the application. What is up with that? It's the worst test ever. Did I make myself sound too important? Like I'd rather be a boss than a team player? Or did I make myself look too social vs work too hard? My husband and I did it together and were flabbergasted by how incredibly difficult it was to answer. I have a good employment record and I gave open availability minus two weekday nights were I'm in school. I really think it was that damn test.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
Also they sent the denial letter at 3:19 AM?!?!
Thank all!

Hmm that's weird. I wonder why. Well I hope they do that for me. It's so close to my house and I actually like the thought of not worrying about what I have to wear.

I take it you got the job

Last edited:
Sometimes the computer will auto deny you, but if you're close to the cut off they'll bring you in and interview you anyways.

The office I work at includes the testing facility for DVR in my state and we've had a lot of conversations about the use and misuse of the tests by employers.
I can't speak to your situation but I can tell you what the company is looking at.
They are primarily looking to see if you are honest and reliable.
Do not think about the questions.
If it asks, "Would you ever steal?" don't say, "Yes." because if you had children and they were starving, of course you would steal food for them.
Say, "No, of course not."
If it asks "Have you ever stolen?, Don't say yes because you took your sister doll when you were six and hid it under the floor boards.
Say no, never in my life have I ever stolen.
The tests will ask these questions in a bunch of different ways, don't think about any of them, just make flat declarations that you would never, ever steal.
And the same goes for turning in people who steal, lying about being on time to work, etc.
You can probably think of dozens of logical and common sense reasons why none of these questions should have black and white answers but Spot doesn't.

Commiecorvus- see the tests aren't like that anymore. That's what I went in expecting and I know exactly how to pass those types of tests. This new test asked questions where you had to answer one or the other and the questions went something like this:

I find that I am well organsized and work hard VS I am very easy to get along with and care for others

I'm not shitting you.. All the questions were like that. I was like wtf do these people want? Haha
That's why I was worried that I made myself sound more authoritive vs like a team player or something. you'd think you couldn't go wrong answering either of these responses but apprently they are looking for something specific, I just don't know what haha

The questions didn't ask me once if I'd steal or have stolen or what I would do if I saw someone steal. My favorite question from before was if you saw a fellow employee steal a pencil would you report them lol.

Commiecorvus- see the tests aren't like that anymore. That's what I went in expecting and I know exactly how to pass those types of tests. This new test asked questions where you had to answer one or the other and the questions went something like this:

I find that I am well organsized and work hard VS I am very easy to get along with and care for others

I'm not shitting you.. All the questions were like that. I was like wtf do these people want? Haha
That's why I was worried that I made myself sound more authoritive vs like a team player or something. you'd think you couldn't go wrong answering either of these responses but apprently they are looking for something specific, I just don't know what haha

The questions didn't ask me once if I'd steal or have stolen or what I would do if I saw someone steal. My favorite question from before was if you saw a fellow employee steal a pencil would you report them lol.

Interesting, so they are going to the worker bee paradigm.
Do you work well with others as opposed to always wanting to be in charge?
While not a new direction I'm surprised that Spot has made that the center of its testing.

Yeh, I had to take that test when I came back; VERY weird & I wasn't even sure I'd passed until HR called me.
The situations presented seemed like there was either no 'right' answer or trying to choose the lesser of multiple evils.

Ah, I remember that test. I had a hard time answering it too. Ultimately I thought about the position I was applying for (cashier), what qualities they would want in a cashier (outgoing, friendly, team player, hard working), and tried to answer favoring those qualities. For the other personality qualities that popped up, when one of the afore-mentioned traits wasn't an option, I just evenly dispersed my answers in an attempt to look well-rounded.
I'm not familiar with how they grade those tests or weigh your application, but if you still really want the job it might be worth giving the store a call and asking to speak to HR about it. They do encourage TMs to be bold ;)

Last edited:
I'm applying again so I'll let you know how it goes. I am actually going to a job fair tomorrow for a new store opening up so I might as them about it while I;m there. I was going to apply for the position first but now I think I will wait until I ask.

I'm applying again so I'll let you know how it goes. I am actually going to a job fair tomorrow for a new store opening up so I might as them about it while I;m there. I was going to apply for the position first but now I think I will wait until I ask.
I'm pretty sure they stopped using that screening test now, so it should be better this time around.

Know that even if you score a 'R' or red on the test, the store HR can still bring you in and offer a job. The tests don't weigh as much now. Call the HR and ask why you were denied a job.

Know that even if you score a 'R' or red on the test, the store HR can still bring you in and offer a job. The tests don't weigh as much now. Call the HR and ask why you were denied a job.

No more test and even back then certain stores weren't allowed to use them. They are only for stores that get a lot of applicants.

Tldr.

Almost always, without fail, the sole determining factor in whether or not you get an interview is your availability.

What did you list as availability?
tldr

Original post was over a year ago. OP is now planning to apply again.

I remember that test, I think one of the questions was: Place genitalia in a 500 degree oven VS Place genitalia in a hungry lion's mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back