Got in trouble for leaving on time

We’ve been exceptionally overworked and short staffed as of late, and on a Wednesday night it was just me for all of hardlines. I finished all the reshop, but the out of stocks were incredibly high. The closing TL had called for front end to leave at about 11:30, and I was scheduled to leave at 11:30, so I went up front and clocked out and left. Next shift, I got in trouble and the TL was telling me not to do that because I didn’t ask anyone if I could leave. They told me I had taken a 30 so I could have stayed at least five more minutes to help clean up and finish out of stocks. Out of stocks were so high that would have been impossible. Is this something I can get in trouble for?

Last edited:
In this instance it sounds like it was a safety issue.

After closing, you need to walk out together. Just let the closing TL know you were scheduled to leave at 1130.

Last edited:
We’ve been exceptionally overworked and short staffed as of late, and on a Wednesday night it was just me for all of hardlines. I finished all the reshop, but the out of stocks were incredibly high. The closing TL had called for front end to leave at about 11:30, and I was scheduled to leave at 11:30, so I went up front and clocked out and left. Next shift, I got in trouble and the TL was telling me not to do that because I didn’t ask anyone if I could leave. They told me I had taken a 30 so I could have stayed at least five more minutes to help clean up and finish out of stocks. Out of stocks were so high that would have been impossible. Is this something I can get in trouble for?
No. You left on time.

I'm an hourly assistant manager for another company and I leave at my scheduled time, even if there is still a ton of work left or even if the store is a complete mess. My life doesn't revolve around work, work revolves around my life. My team may hate me the next day but, tough shit. If they want me to stay longer, my boss should schedule me to leave later. Don't ever let someone coach you or write you up for punching out at your scheduled time.

No, but some managers like to feel like their necessary and need you to check with them... even if you couldn't have accomplished anything in 5 minutes before compliance. Such fragile egos these days. You're fine...

Lack of compliance. Just give them a rattle and "status" with them. They like that shit and it will keep them off your back. (it's a targetty term)

At my store if your closing no one leaves without permission from a leader. The cashiers stay and help other departments. The entire closing team leaves at the same time together. The only exception is someone who would hit compliance if they stayed. ASANTS

Back