Archived Got my 'O' taken away after getting my review...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a funny situation. I am a normal sales floor/electronics team member and got an O on my review last year, after getting EX's. It surprised me cause I didn't think they gave those out. This year I again got an O, yet my merit increase said EX on it. I was confused so I asked my HR and he said he'd look into it.

Today my SeniorTL that gave me the O pulled me aside and said he actually wasn't supposed to give me an O. The HR guy said an O is only given to those that are in the leadership training program or something worded like that, pretty much meaning for those that work like a TL and are striving for a leadership position. I'm going to school and I'm sure it's obvious that I am not making Target a career since I haven't reached out to become a TL or anything of that nature despite my qualifications.

STILL, I thought that was a stupid excuse to not give out O's. Hell, I got one last year from my same TL (except different HR). I don't even care about the raise difference, I just wanted that O... I didn't want to downgrade despite my feeling that my performance upgraded. Oh well. I was wondering for you all, is this "excuse" the same reason in all stores why they hardly give out Os?

Abra-cadabra! Sorry they bamboozled you. I have never heard this excuse before though. Funny thing ... why aren't there two review systems then? One for those who actually work at Target, and another one for those who see it as a ladder to be climbed. (Calm down. I was only making a point about ambition.) There was a column for "O's" on my review, and I am nowehere near wanting to advance at Target.

Do you honestly believe you deserved an O? Outstanding performance over a sustained period of time, the results and the way the results were achieved were outstanding.

Do you honestly believe you deserved an O? Outstanding performance over a sustained period of time, the results and the way the results were achieved were outstanding.
Listen I realize you are the negative King on this forum, but to humor you I will answer yes. Last year when I got an O only one other person in the entire store got it as well. My performance increased, I am always taking the initiative and working on projects that I'm not even asked of. Our electronics department is one of the best looking ones probably in the whole company, and right now we are top 5 in the group in AAR. I don't stand around pretending to work while I talk to Mobile all day. I pretty much run the department from a team member role.

Btw believe it or not I'm a very humble guy and I never talk like this, but since we are on the Internet, why not ill let my true feelings out. I damn well deserve an outstanding, and I agree with previous posters it just sounds like something they made up to save a little money and cover their mistake since they also claimed they already handed out raises and they don't have any more money left over for an O. So whatever I won't be working here that much longer with graduation coming up.

Let me put it to you this way.... I got an EX on my review this year. (possibly because I used to be a TL and can run circles around people as a TM now)

I am not the easiest to get along with, but I get the job done and get it done better than most. That's why I was rehired so easily - I'm not everyones best friend, but the ETLs I've worked with know that in the end, I make their lives easier compared to most who might be everyones friend but can never get the job done.

Vibenup sounds like he runs circles around people *and* is easy to get along with. If someone like me can pull an EX, it is totally reasonable to think that someone like him would get an O.

I had something similar. My review was marked "EX" by my ETL-HL. She then left our store, and our new SrTL-HL crossed out the EX and changed it to an E. I was told that because the electronics department didnt perform well, they had to take my EX away and make it an E to make the raise budget but next year "they would definitely give me back the EX" wtf

One reason is, that a numbers or metric system is placed with hr. tl who know tm's give great ratings. Then, etl's outside of hl are told to cut the numbers/rating. It is very unfair system.

The delusions of people...

Explain to me what you did that makes you believe you deserve an O.
So you do your work without being told to do so? That is Effective, you fully meet and sometimes exceed position requirements.
What is your impact to the whole store, district, or more? What accomplishments have you made that really matter?

You see, going to work and doing your job is effective.
If we break this down I am sure I could tell you how you did not deserve an outstanding. Here's a hint, as an electronics TM, when you brag about your electronics being clean and a good AAR, that shows low scope. You are not global enough, you worry about your own little piece of the store. Outstanding? No, you need to make an impact other than zoning and dusting.

O Performance over a sustained period of time is clearly and consistently exceptional; continually exceeds all expectations of what is required or should be accomplished. Both results and how they are achieved are exceptional.
EX Clearly exceed job requirements. Makes significant contributions well beyond job demands. Provides thorough attention to the accomplishment of assigned position responsibilities with limited direction.
E Fully meets and sometimes exceeds position requirements. Demonstrates full understanding of all required functions.
IE Requirements and responsibilities of the position are usually handled competently. Meets most of the job expectations, but not all at this time.
U Unacceptable performance. Does not meet job requirements.

The delusions of people...

Explain to me what you did that makes you believe you deserve an O.
So you do your work without being told to do so? That is Effective, you fully meet and sometimes exceed position requirements.
What is your impact to the whole store, district, or more? What accomplishments have you made that really matter?

You see, going to work and doing your job is effective.
If we break this down I am sure I could tell you how you did not deserve an outstanding. Here's a hint, as an electronics TM, when you brag about your electronics being clean and a good AAR, that shows low scope. You are not global enough, you worry about your own little piece of the store. Outstanding? No, you need to make an impact other than zoning and dusting.

O Performance over a sustained period of time is clearly and consistently exceptional; continually exceeds all expectations of what is required or should be accomplished. Both results and how they are achieved are exceptional.
EX Clearly exceed job requirements. Makes significant contributions well beyond job demands. Provides thorough attention to the accomplishment of assigned position responsibilities with limited direction.
E Fully meets and sometimes exceeds position requirements. Demonstrates full understanding of all required functions.
IE Requirements and responsibilities of the position are usually handled competently. Meets most of the job expectations, but not all at this time.
U Unacceptable performance. Does not meet job requirements.

So in other words what your saying is you have no idea what he deserved so you just going assume he did not.

By your statement alone, I can see that either you did not read what I wrote or did not comprehend it. I'll make it simple for you, when your first defense is that your department is clean and you have good AAR, then no, you don't deserve an O.

Not to get in anyone else's business, but this is SR's point. Here's what I accomplished in the last year:

Took a new dept (Instocks) from blood red to solid green(#1 in group).
Championed a new process for ad set that saved 20% of the payroll we were spending.
Led Black Friday prep as well as the backroom day team on the most successful BF our store has had in at least 4 years.
Owned the PTM process in toys and seasonal for Christmas. Those depts had the highest comp of any two depts during that time.
Took over flow and ran day-to-day processes while TL was on two-week vacation. Implemented improvements to trailer unload that were continued after the TL returned.

I didn't get an O in any category.

Stupid rules is wearing red colored glasses, the review process is broken if there is a score on the list that no one can achieve. Granted, the amount of people receiving an outstanding should be low, because if everyone got it, it wouldn't be very outstanding. Problem is, at my store, no one seemed to ever get one, and the criteria for what constitutes an O is arbitrary, at best, unfair at its worst. The criteria is vague, and is intentionally that way to allow TLs/ETLs to justify giving lesser grades for almost any reason for the purposes of saving money. That is totally within the company's right, but it hardly makes the company The Best Company Ever.

Usually I agree with Stupid Rules, but not today...

The OP was GIVEN an O and they took it away from him... Doesn't matter if you think hes qualified or not, its MESSED UP! They shouldn't give a review score out that they can't hold themselves to.

Also everyone knows that Target's review process is a joke.

To get an "E" you need to "fully meet" all job requirements, and sometimes "exceeding expectations". With spot's cost cutting, its typical for One TM to be doing the work of multiple TMs. Is this reflected as "going above and beyond" on one's review? Hell No! If anything they use it as an excuse to lower your review score since you didn't zone the entire sales floor by yourself that one night after backing up at the check lanes for hours, and covering food ave's break.

Also Sr, no where do the definitions of each score say that to receive an Outstanding, you must impact other work centers. If a TM delivers outstanding results in their own workcenter, that alone is enough for an O. Now maybe you and the cronies running your store think otherwise and just use that as an excuse to shaft people that extra ten cents... But hey... What do I know.

The issue here is that you guys assume and view things wrong. I didn't comment once on them taking the O from him and it being right or wrong. I'm questioning if he deserved an O. I did not defend the review process or say that it was a great thing. I hate the review process at Target. I am still holding it against them for my review last year. Imerzan that game can be played both ways, if I were to walk your department and find 1 peg without a label...BAM! IE.

I'm with Stupid Rules on this one. If the area is zoned, AAR is Green, and reshop is kept up with, then yes, it should only be an Effective. I also agree that if the OP is just focusing on his own department, then there really shouldn't be an "O" as an overall score. That would be like me giving my TMs an "O" just because the Price Change Accuracy score is Green YTD - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN because that is the EXPECTATION of the Price Accuracy Team: Drive Green Results, which is the ONLY standard. If I see even just 1 peg missing a clearance flag and label, coaching conversation and documentation. If I see that they printed a new 3x5 for a clearance display but do not have the clearance insert to go behind the sign, again, another conversation and documentation. Even if they did these things, it would still only be an "E" since they are just doing what Best Practice states. If they wanted the "O" then they would have to be cross-trained in other areas, and not just on Black Friday, as well as other aspects in order for me to fight for them to have an "O" or even consider giving it to them.

If getting an "O" means you have to have an impact on other job centers, then nobody in Pharmacy will EVER get an "O" because we NEVER get out of Pharmacy (except for those rare individuals who get the chance to cover a shift in another department or are just "part-timers")....

It was just an example of meeting the requirements of an O as opposed to people who do they basics of their job and think they should get an outstanding.
Compare a TM who comes in and does the basics of his position (and sometimes more) and a TM who comes in, does his job, helps out so and so, plans ahead for this and that, etc.

My work does impact other departments, I just didn't want to give you the page of things I do on a regular basis to help keep the store running. I'm cross trained in guest service, pharmacy tech, backroom, instocks, price accuracy, and presentation. In fact, I only get 2 electronics shifts a week, and on top of all the projects I'm given during those shifts, I still manage to get my list mostly completed each week. 2 other shifts go to presentation setting NRs and revisions, and that's how I keep the entertainment department to top standards. I just don't mean cleaning either.. I work with price accuracy since my work directly goes in line with theirs, I keep up on research throughout the department despite it not being my core role, I implemented a new organizational system in our electronics stockroom and maintain it weekly, resulting in a self-sufficient department, and I back up in GS and Pharmacy as needed.

Brief run down of some of the things I work on weekly. If it isn't enough to justify an outstanding to your standards, it's probably because I haven't listed everything. I didn't make this topic to brag, I made it because I just don't understand how Target can do this type of stuff to their employees. But seeing as everyone feels the same way, I guess I feel a little better. I definitely made it known on the BTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back