Archived Greenhorn CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just hired on as a cart attendant and i have a few questions regarding orientation.

1: Should I wear a polo or button down or is the plain red tee i have good enough?

2:How early should I arrive for orientation and my first day?

3:What should I expect from this position?(ie; is there room for growth or should i abandon hope and start looking for another job immediately)

Thanks in advance and i hope it isnt as bad as your stories make t out to be!

Hey there and welcome to TBR.

1. You'll be fine with a red tee as long as it doesn't have a big logo or image. As a CA you can also wear khaki shorts which will be a godsend if you live in a hot area.

2. Try to get to the store about 10-15 minutes early for orientation just to make sure you end up where you need to be on time (plus it looks good to show up early on your first day). Check in with the Service desk as soon as you get there.

3. ASANTS when it comes to how a CA is treated. I've read on here that CAs at other stores are unappreciated and what not but at my store there is an awesome CA that the GSTLs love and have trained him at just about every position at the front end (starbucks is the only exception) and he's in line to be promoted to GSA or possibly even GSTL. He's already covered a full shift for a GSTL and learned how to close down the registers. So the answer to this question really depends on the store I would say. As far as what to expect for the actual job, you will get asked to do a lot: gathering carts, checking/cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning up spills throughout the store, doing carry outs, gathering up the hangers from the checkstands and taking them to the back, replenishing the bags at the checkstands, and picking up the trash from Starbucks and FA. On the plus side CAs get a bit more freedom than other positions at the store and you don't have to interact with guests as much.

Show up 15 minutes early
Wear any plain red shirt or polo, khaki pants, dress shoes.
Get ready for 2-3 hours of safety videos, and 10 minutes of signing papers.
maybe a break in between the videos too.

1. Just regular red tee
2. Standard 10 minutes early is ok
3. This depends on your leadership. Ive heard of CAs who've been promoted to STL in my district. The key is don't wait on them, show and tell them that you're ready to move up. If they don't know, they may think you're content being CA (believe it or not a lot of CAs are) or they may not even be considering you. You'll need to let them know:
A. Where your goals are to move up in company. GSTL? Any TL position? Eventually ETL or STL? DTL one day?
B. That you want to learn other work centers.

Sit down with your GSTL(s) and your ETL GE and let them know your goals.

1. On orientation day, come with both Polo and T-Shirt. Orientation day is usually just that or cashier training.

2. 10-15 minutes. Depending on your store, you could be meeting up front in TMSC or in the back of the store. Then checking in at Guest Service may take a bit.

3. It all depends on the store. At some stores, CAs are the gophers usually being told to do 10 things at once, yet it must all be completed. Some stores will give their CAs respect and a structure but nothing impossible.

Thank you very much for the response's! I went ahead and got a red polo since it was on sale at walmart for 3 bucks and its no tax season. Even if i wear it once and go to tees the rest of the time i can just give it to my dad, no harm done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back