Archived GSA Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

catrainer

I applied to be a GSA at my store. I am from a ULV store. I have 3 questions.

1) Is the interview for a current TM the same as a regular interview?

2) What questions should I expect to be asked?

3) What should I expect to be doing should I get the job?

Thank you in advance!

There is a lot of babysitting involved. You will be responsible for the front end during your shift, especially as in a ulv I am assuming the GSTL won't be there with you pretty much at all. This includes getting 239, dealing with guest issues and calling for guests first and speed weaving. There is as always a big focus on red cards, so hopefully you are moving into a situation where the team is already green or your life may be hell and you start pulling your hair out.

Actually, thinking back now when I was a GSA, you may just be pulling your hair out anyways. Hope you like being bald or go now and buy plenty of rogaine.

Make sure you're on great terms with your GSTL, because you'll be working very very very very closely with them!

They technically don't even need to interview you for it.

From my ULV experience:

You'll be spending most of your time literally running around the front. The check lanes might need a question answered or an override, the service desk might need your help, you may have to run out and replenish carts, sending someone on break, etc. And when you aren't running around babysitting (a very accurate word for the GSA role) you'll be working on little projects (setting CL endcaps, cleaning up onespot, getting supplies, etc) and driving conversion.

You want to keep the front end fast fun and friendly: minimize guest wait, speed weave to increase checkout speeds and promote green speed scores/conversion rates, and brand new from the world of corporate: BE BOLD.

Last edited:

There is a lot of babysitting involved. You will be responsible for the front end during your shift, especially as in a ulv I am assuming the GSTL won't be there with you pretty much at all. This includes getting 239, dealing with guest issues and calling for guests first and speed weaving. There is as always a big focus on red cards, so hopefully you are moving into a situation where the team is already green or your life may be hell and you start pulling your hair out.

Actually, thinking back now when I was a GSA, you may just be pulling your hair out anyways. Hope you like being bald or go now and buy plenty of rogaine.

I hope that I am not going to go bald!!! That would be very weird for a 17 year old :) I already do help out and cover breaks when needed and I am pretty good at it I would like to say. I do enjoy helping out. Our team is pretty good with red cards for a ULV. We usually average about 2 a night. That is what our leadership has set for a goal for us. I would of course like to see more. Back when I used to cashier a lot, I was usually getting 2 a night on my own. I also only worked 4 hour shifts!

Thanks for all the help here guys. I do appreciate it.

Even though many, many of us sometimes are extremely pessimistic here, GSA is really a good position to do if you want to become a TL. In my store, you are given the same respect as a GSTL and I know I partner with our store's GSAs in mostly the same way I partner with the GSTLs. The position is really what you make of it; if you focus on your development, take mentors, learn from and be accountable for your mistakes, and take on big challenges you can definitely move up from GSA. You seem to have a great attitude about it (same way I did when I first started out as GSA) so don't lose that--being known for having a positive attitude is a big plus when considering people to promote. :)

Once again, thanks for the advice guys. I just found out that I will be having my interviews coming up on Monday already! That was fast. Only 2 days after I applied.

Well, I forgot to post that I didn't get it.

That's not good to hear. Sorry about that. But honestly, there are so many other great positions in the store for the N07 paygrade. I would trade GSA to be back on plano in a heartbeat. GSA is a position that's nice to do just for the sake of doing it, but there are a whole lot of other target jobs that get you the extra 50 cents without all the stress.

Even though many, many of us sometimes are extremely pessimistic here, GSA is really a good position to do if you want to become a TL. In my store, you are given the same respect as a GSTL and I know I partner with our store's GSAs in mostly the same way I partner with the GSTLs. The position is really what you make of it; if you focus on your development, take mentors, learn from and be accountable for your mistakes, and take on big challenges you can definitely move up from GSA. You seem to have a great attitude about it (same way I did when I first started out as GSA) so don't lose that--being known for having a positive attitude is a big plus when considering people to promote. :)

*sigh* after 3 months my hair is turning grey....literally. :/

It pays off for some depending on what you put in to it I've been GSA for about 8 months and I'm finally going to be a GSTL were as the other GSA who got hired a month later than me might step down because of the stress. If you can handle and want to promote best of luck but if you're doing it for the raise just do electronics wayyyyy less stress.

I want to promote but the stress is literally eating me alive. Unfortunately at my sh*t-volume store, we've lost TLs but that only played into AE14. We're still 1 over headcount, so it's a long game of waiting.

Yeah trust me I know I know I got lucky with a opportunity because I made great connections with ETLs I knew were leaving our store. When they left I made sure I told them to remember me if they ever needed me and I stopped in to their stores if I was in the area. One of the said ETL then reached out to my store and requested I go through the process to become a TL. I acknowledge that due to how Spot is so keen on hiring outside the company within our district even for TL positions that I got lucky.

I have some good news! Today, I was asked to apply for an Electronics Position! I think that I have a very good chance of getting it as I am very good with technology and always wanting to learn more. I am also very helpful back there. My last 2 shifts, I was called back there to answer some questions that the Electronics TM didn't know. I would really enjoy working back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back