Archived GSA/SEA workload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other GSA/SEA do extra work around the store on the salesfloor? I'm constantly being pulled to do stuff for our GM, like zone and push flats/u-boats, that they are incapable of doing. It's frustrating to do everyone's work when we get paid the same as a starting seasonal team member that knows absolutely nothing. I talked to my HR about a raise and said "that it's not a supervisor role". How is being in charge of cashiers, guest service, and cart attendants not being a supervisor as well as supervisor numbers? It's just frustrating to get paid as a day one employee and do so much more than the average team member.

GSA is 50 cents more than a traditional cashier. This is why many team members are unwilling to take the position. The advantage is "more hours" compared to regular team members.
Management generally draws from the pool of GSA's when looking to fill supervisor positions. Think of it as a testing ground. Prove your worth and you'll get to climb the corporate ladder.

I really like being a GSA even though some days I am spread so thin. Just the other night my GSTL got pulled to do something, so I had to cover the lanes. Next thing I know I have to train 2 new cashiers because we we’re already short on cashiers and back up guest service. Then my GE comes over and tells me they need help filling an endcap in chemicals and AP tells me they want my hanging around service desk because one of our regular return fraud guys was in. I was exhausted.

Is it worth it? I don’t know, but at the end of the day I enjoy it. I like to do a lot and even if the ETLs and other TLs in the store don’t take me or the position seriously, my GSTLs make me feel appreciated and I love my front end people. I 1000% feel you with the frustration and I do think we deserve more.

Any other GSA/SEA do extra work around the store on the salesfloor? I'm constantly being pulled to do stuff for our GM, like zone and push flats/u-boats, that they are incapable of doing. It's frustrating to do everyone's work when we get paid the same as a starting seasonal team member that knows absolutely nothing. I talked to my HR about a raise and said "that it's not a supervisor role". How is being in charge of cashiers, guest service, and cart attendants not being a supervisor as well as supervisor numbers? It's just frustrating to get paid as a day one employee and do so much more than the average team member.
Throwing salt in a wound... you know A & A gets paid more than a GSA? There are seasonal A & A hires that are getting .50 cents more an hour compared to the GSA's and GSTM's.

I told them I was interested even without the pay bump but the ETL-GE left and the sub'ing ETL over front end (the ETL-HR) is pretty meh about anything unless it means enforcing stupid ass rules so it won't happen.

I talked to my HR about a raise and said "that it's not a supervisor role". How is being in charge of cashiers, guest service, and cart attendants not being a supervisor as well as supervisor numbers? It's just frustrating to get paid as a day one employee and do so much more than the average team member.

It’s absolutely a supervisory role! We just don’t get the extra pay or respect... which is ridiculous! we do however get all the stress of the GSTL position. Hooray! 🙄

Honestly I think it’s pretty awful the way GSAs are treated like 2nd class leaders. It doesn’t help that our leadership keeps changing too. We’re on the 4th ETL-GE in the last 3 years. It’s like a revolving door when it comes to leadership right now.

Our good GSAs keep leaving for state jobs or non-retail jobs that pay better because our store continually hires GSTLs from the outside... instead of promoting from within. Oh and did I mention those last 2 GSTLs hired from the outside were fired? They didn’t even last 6 months. It’s no wonder our GSAs keep leaving, we are VASTLY under-appreciated!

It’s absolutely a supervisory role! We just don’t get the extra pay or respect... which is ridiculous! we do however get all the stress of the GSTL position. Hooray! 🙄

Honestly I think it’s pretty awful the way GSAs are treated like 2nd class leaders.
You have the responsibility to run the front and the extra pay and respect should come with it. 🙄

Had too much going on the other night (was being pulled and questioned by way too many people) and almost left a bag out because of it. I caught myself, but dang I’m still thinking about how close I let myself get. I spend my whole shift getting the front organized and good and help out wherever else need... please let me close my registers in peace.

Crazy that they have all those responsibilities and still make the same as new hires. Target needs to give senior team members raises when they bump up the starting rate. A new hire shouldn't be making as much as a GSA who's been there for years. Even if said GSA started out as a normal TM making $8 an hour five years ago.

Stuff like that motivates me to stay in my lane. I don't even want term new flow team members. We have a "trainers" wall that I'm on and it's BS. Just a way to make the grunts feel like they matter :D

This is purely theoretical, but I imagine that, when GSA/SEA was developed, the person who came up with it (hoping their thoughts are as pure as mine and they weren't just trying to find a poor sap to stick extra responsibilities to without the extra pay) envisioned it to go a little like this...

You get a seasoned cashier, and you give them to the GSTL for them to take under their wing, and call them Attendants (hence the name being so close to GSTL).
You give them all the administrative powers in POS as GSTL and teach them how to use it.
You develop them, coach them, and build them into what a GSTL should be, letting them run the show here and there, but always with GSTL supervision (hire enough GSTLs).
Use them in an unsupervised capacity only to cover breaks, lunches, or when you need multiple Supervisor-Level overrides throughout the store (like in Electronics, 2-story stores, etc.).
Let them go back to being cashier and don't keep using them like this because you're not paying them any extra.
Find another seasoned cashier and do the same.
Have multiple GSAs whom you can rely on at times of need.

This is purely theoretical, but I imagine that, when GSA/SEA was developed, the person who came up with it (hoping their thoughts are as pure as mine and they weren't just trying to find a poor sap to stick extra responsibilities to without the extra pay) envisioned it to go a little like this...

You get a seasoned cashier, and you give them to the GSTL for them to take under their wing, and call them Attendants (hence the name being so close to GSTL).
You give them all the administrative powers in POS as GSTL and teach them how to use it.
You develop them, coach them, and build them into what a GSTL should be, letting them run the show here and there, but always with GSTL supervision (hire enough GSTLs).
Use them in an unsupervised capacity only to cover breaks, lunches, or when you need multiple Supervisor-Level overrides throughout the store (like in Electronics, 2-story stores, etc.).
Let them go back to being cashier and don't keep using them like this because you're not paying them any extra.
Find another seasoned cashier and do the same.
Have multiple GSAs whom you can rely on at times of need.
Pretty much covers what GSTM's do.

I was treated the exact same as a guest service team member and gsa... only different is I get actual gsa shifts now and supervisor numbers. Other than that if you are actually solid in the front end, you generally have to do more and pick up after others. It can definitely be frustrating.
That’s true for any solid green process. A good team and process always ends up doing more for the store. If the logistics process is solid and they come clean all the time, they might end up zoning the store if the sales floor team wasn’t able to, A&A is backing up in the Front End, logistics doesn’t come clean, looks like the sales floor team will push, zone/push cafs and go backs. It’s the nature of the business.

Throwing salt in a wound... you know A & A gets paid more than a GSA? There are seasonal A & A hires that are getting .50 cents more an hour compared to the GSA's and GSTM's.

Well, I don't think that I would be very good at selling women's clothing and accessories, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back