Archived GSA: The good and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 4 gsa's, The Good: they are all willing to learn, eagar, understand vibing, understand conversion, understand that they are an extension of the GSTL's. the bad: terrible walkie etiquette, always seem like they are panicing when not getting responses to the lanes haha easy things to fix but i cringe everytime im in the building and hear one of my gsa's call for a back up. it continue to get better over time.

GSA's I have seen at other stores... walking past guests with out saying anything or directing them... aka anti-vibe.

I have 3 GSAs. currently. Good: they are quick, two are very knowledgeable and really vibe with the guests. One of the last GSAs is very good at what he does and is now a GSTL on weekends and is TL on weekdays. he is just VERY strict. the Bad: always using their phones when they should not, one of the newer guys who they picked over me is always asking me things he should know the answer to and I know a lot more than he does. sometimes they are very talkative with the cashiers they are buddy buddy with.

GSAs at my store

Good: They are very knowledgeable on everything at the front end and they are always willing to lend a hand. Good at vibing too.

Bad: Holy #$@^#*& $^#*! I really wish they'd shut up sometimes. They're constantly talking over everyone on the walkies, 4/5 times when they call for backup they don't need it, whenever someone gets a red card they sound like a 12yo on CoD who just got a no scope, and they will argue with anyone over anything even when they have no idea what they're talking about. They also have a habit of trying to boss around salesfloor and logistics TMs and have a hard time respecting authority.

I have 3 GSAs. currently. Good: they are quick, two are very knowledgeable and really vibe with the guests. One of the last GSAs is very good at what he does and is now a GSTL on weekends and is TL on weekdays. he is just VERY strict. the Bad: always using their phones when they should not, one of the newer guys who they picked over me is always asking me things he should know the answer to and I know a lot more than he does. sometimes they are very talkative with the cashiers they are buddy buddy with.

Uhh, how can a GSA be GSTL on weekends, and TL on weekdays?

GSTL is a TL position. You either are a TL or you aren't. It's a jobcode.

Do you mean they get scheduled as a cashier on the weekend, and as a GSA on the weekends?

@RCKing Amuses me that you mention the panicing, we have 3 GSA's, and 1 GSTL, the GSTL and one of the GSA's both panic horribly. They'll call for backup, get no response in five seconds, call again, wait a few seconds, and then call out, "Team, why is no one responding for backup?".

On the flipside the other two call for backup, and then only re-call for backup if the amount of backup needed changes.

ie. Can I get backup to lane 7?

Actually, make that lanes 7 and 9. OR Actually, looks like we won't need backup afterall.

I see no reason to repeatedly request backup when there's no new information.

Do you mean they get scheduled as a cashier on the weekend, and as a GSA on the weekends?

@RCKing Amuses me that you mention the panicing, we have 3 GSA's, and 1 GSTL, the GSTL and one of the GSA's both panic horribly. They'll call for backup, get no response in five seconds, call again, wait a few seconds, and then call out, "Team, why is no one responding for backup?".

On the flipside the other two call for backup, and then only re-call for backup if the amount of backup needed changes.

Actually, make that lanes 7 and 9. OR Actually, looks like we won't need backup afterall.

So what if you call for back up and there's no response? That is frequently the issue at my store. Sure, there's no new information, but three minutes later you still need that back up and no one's coming up. No new information to give, but if you haven't gotten even an acknowledgement of your request, then you can pretty much guarantee no one is coming up.

So what if you call for back up and there's no response? That is frequently the issue at my store. Sure, there's no new information, but three minutes later you still need that back up and no one's coming up. No new information to give, but if you haven't gotten even an acknowledgement of your request, then you can pretty much guarantee no one is coming up.

i've only been at 2 stores... ULV which was good at responding(great leadership and clear expectations), now im in a much bigger store where the previous ETL team was literally wiped out from existence and there were NO routines around backing up. im slowly changing that but I would imagine at the majority of stores get responses is pretty rough.

i think to add to this, though, is that if you call for a back-up, 1 mins passes, call again, if another minute passes call out the TLOD and get on them. this has worked in my store with tremendous success. if the TLOD doesnt respond then the LOD will blow them up

My store has 3 other GSA's. The good: They communicate very effectively to guests no matter what situation. If we're in the wrong, they know how to address their concerns. If the guest is in the wrong, they know how to approach the issue at hand. All this with a smile, all this with a desire to handle everything responsibly. Real leaders in the building.
The bad: GSA training has been lacking. I got trained every weekday and weekend between our two gstl's. the rest of the crew has been going on a few months now, and still haven't heard of some of the front end processes. We lost a gstl, all but one cashier, all 5 service desk tm's, and a GSA in the last 4 months, so turnover, replacement, and training have really madeit difficult for GSA's who also need training. No one to ask questions to.

My store has 4 GSAs

The good 3: are knowledgeable about most issues and will vibe with guests, they also trust me so when I need supervisor numbers for something (like a price match > $20) they will just rubber stamp it and assume I know what I'm doing.

The bad: one of them is a very nice woman but doesn't have very good leadership skills and can barely handle a PDA. I got tired of alerts never working when she is GSA so I showed her how to use redwire. Many times she will call for the LOD about an issue when they aren't needed. However, she seems to be the best about actually responding on the walkie if someone calls for her, especially during busy times.

The ugly: they all go insane about redcards. Very lengthy ( > 1 minute) speeches about asking every guest and blah blah blah...I really wish they and the TLs/LODs would just circlejerk on channel 2 instead of clogging up 1 where a team member might actually need to ask a question/request a supervisor.

My store has 4 GSAs

The good 3: are knowledgeable about most issues and will vibe with guests, they also trust me so when I need supervisor numbers for something (like a price match > $20) they will just rubber stamp it and assume I know what I'm doing.

The bad: one of them is a very nice woman but doesn't have very good leadership skills and can barely handle a PDA. I got tired of alerts never working when she is GSA so I showed her how to use redwire. Many times she will call for the LOD about an issue when they aren't needed. However, she seems to be the best about actually responding on the walkie if someone calls for her, especially during busy times.

The ugly: they all go insane about redcards. Very lengthy ( > 1 minute) speeches about asking every guest and blah blah blah...I really wish they and the TLs/LODs would just circlejerk on channel 2 instead of clogging up 1 where a team member might actually need to ask a question/request a supervisor.

This cannot be emphasized enough at my store, except usually it's the TLs telling a TM to go to 3 because they feel that conversations on 1 are warranted. If the TLs got their own channel for TL stuff, much like AP has 5 and 6, it would be easier. Or at least, let the STL and ETLs have AP walkies since they tend to have long conversations (My store doesn't let anyone not AP have AP walkies even though some stores let the LOD and STL have one) What I hate, is when someone is having a conversation on one and when there's finally a break, "Fast service needed in the fitting room, who is responding?" and then 5 seconds later "Fast service needed in the fitting room. Second request, 15 seconds remaining, WHO IS RESPONDING!?" because the callbox timer started when the button was pressed, but the announcement didn't get made because someone was ranting on channel 1.

Well because he got promoted to team lead.

My store has had only 1 GSA since I started back in May this year, and we are an A volume store. My STL said a long time ago that he wants 2 GSTLs and 3 GSAs but nothing ever came of that. We were close to promoting one of the cashiers to GSA but she wound up quitting before the interview. Now I don't know what they're going to do.

Our current GSA is kind, smart but very much of a pushover.

Or at least, let the STL and ETLs have AP walkies since they tend to have long conversations (My store doesn't let anyone not AP have AP walkies even though some stores let the LOD and STL have one)

That seems weird. All our ETL's have AP walkies, and I can't imagine how a STL would "not be allowed" to have an AP walkie. STL doesn't answer to store-level AP.

One of the last GSAs is very good at what he does and is now a GSTL on weekends and is TL on weekdays.

Yeah, still makes no sense. You can't be a GSA and a GSTL. GSA is a TM position with many of the duties and responsibilities of a GSTL. You can't be TL some days but not others, you are either a TM or a TL.

That seems weird. All our ETL's have AP walkies, and I can't imagine how a STL would "not be allowed" to have an AP walkie. STL doesn't answer to store-level AP.

The STL might not by choice, but I've never seen an ETL have an AP walkie, they have assigned regular walkies though that only they use.

Odd, not only do our ETL's all use them, they aren't even that fussed about keeping an eye on them. Both GE and HR have given me their AP walkies on multiple occasions to use when I needed a walkie, HR even left hers with me, with it on channel 5, and told me to respond that she'd be right back if anyone asked for her.

ok all to help clear up the con
One of the last GSAs is very good at what he does and is now a GSTL on weekends and is TL on weekdays.

Yeah, still makes no sense. You can't be a GSA and a GSTL. GSA is a TM position with many of the duties and responsibilities of a GSTL. You can't be TL some days but not others, you are either a TM or a TL.
yes he is no longer a GSA he is a Team lead and his GSA position was filled. sorry if I confused anyone.

Good: A GSA should be an example for the rest of the store around great guest service and the Vibe. They should be able to effectively motivate the team to drive results around conversion and create a friendly atmosphere that makes the front end a good place to work. The best GSAs are experts on pretty much anything front end, but seek advice on issues that they don't know how to handle from their GSTL rather than being too big headed to acknowledge that they don't know how to do something.

My best GSAs have been the ones that I can leave to run the lanes and I don't need to worry about them at all. Once the cashiers and other TMs in the store view one of my GSAs as a real leader in the store I know that they are ready to move to TL.

Bad: The worst GSAs allow their little bit of power to go straight to their head and they can never take feedback. I have promoted many, many high potential TMs to GSA that have become completely different people once I placed them in position. They will never admit that they have no idea what they're doing and will generally act condescendingly toward the other TMs on the front. If a GSA cannot earn the respect of the other TMs in the store by making smart calls around calling for back up and how they speak to cashiers around redcards (or trying to drive redcards at all) than they are not a good GSA.

Believe me, the GSAs don't want to go on about REDcards, but they have to, because the LOD is expecting it. They cannot go to channel two because they aren't just talking to the LODs, they are talking to the entire team to remind them that REDCards are the only thing that matters. If I'm carrying on about REDCards on the walkie, it's because I'm getting it from above. And since it's one of my core roles, I need to do it. That doesn't make a gsa a bad gsa for doing it...it just means they are doing their job.

Thankfully at my store we only have to do that song and dance in my store if the STL, ETL-GE or GSTL is in the building. If those three are gone then we just announce the red cards and no one gets hysterical.

Believe me, the GSAs don't want to go on about REDcards, but they have to, because the LOD is expecting it. They cannot go to channel two because they aren't just talking to the LODs, they are talking to the entire team to remind them that REDCards are the only thing that matters. If I'm carrying on about REDCards on the walkie, it's because I'm getting it from above. And since it's one of my core roles, I need to do it. That doesn't make a gsa a bad gsa for doing it...it just means they are doing their job.
I get it, I'm more complaining about the company culture in general that forces that kind of behavior.

At my store the only LODs who really really emphasize REDcards are the ETL-GE and STL. The others don't even respond to recognition given over the walkie.

Our ETL-AP is a badass and has openly told us she doesn't give a shit how many REDcards anyone gets.

At my store the only LODs who really really emphasize REDcards are the ETL-GE and STL. The others don't even respond to recognition given over the walkie.

Our ETL-AP is a badass and has openly told us she doesn't give a shit how many REDcards anyone gets.
That's funny. I hope she also doesn't give a shit when the GSTL or ETL GE watches carts get pushed out. I mean, shortage isn't the ETL GE's problem any more than conversion is the ET AP's problem, right?

That's funny. I hope she also doesn't give a shit when the GSTL or ETL GE watches carts get pushed out. I mean, shortage isn't the ETL GE's problem any more than conversion is the ET AP's problem, right?

No shilling, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back