Archived gstl breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best practice is another TL - but in reality, anybody who can be keyed as a supervisor can cover.

ETL, Sr. TL, TL, Brand TM, GSA, etc.

Our store, anyone that knows GS covers. I do not have supervisor numbers but I am even scheduled some GSA shifts!

We're supposed to have a GSA/GSTL, other TL, or LOD cover.

How our store works:

Me: "Hey team this is ___ I need to take my meal break, can somebody cover the checklanes"

*cricket chirp*
*cricket chirp*

Me: "HEY TEAM THIS IS ______ TAKING MY HALF HOUR BREAK SO I DON'T HIT COMPLIANCE, WHO CAN COVER THE CHECKLANES"

LOD: "If you want to punch out I can listen from back in seasonal"

yup.

that's how it use to be at my store but i went to a TL meeting and ripped everyone for being so rude not to cover breaks but yet they all go on every one of their breaks together while the gsa's have to beg for theirs. After the meeting i told the gsa's to call the LOD and tell them no one would cover their break and what should they do. Took about a week and now it is never an issue.

When I first joined the front end team as GSTL, I had to beg for coverage. Now the other TLs split the 1/2 hour. Apparently the other GSTL and GSAs take 45min - hour "halves". So they are doing to help me out because I do not abuse it.

Lol. At my store it's just, "Hey this is the GSA and I'm taking lunch, please keep an ear our for back up calls!" No one actually covers and you have to call the GSTM for change and the LOD for anything else.

Tonight the training etl called me to fix photo for a guest. I still had ten minutes on my lunch, but what was I supposed to do? So later I asked the ETL-GE if I could do a punch correction for it tomorrow. He said that would be fine, but would prefer if I took an extra break instead. I laughed, told him I was GSA and wouldn't get my "earned" breaks, much less an extra one. He had nothing to say to that.

Guess part of my core roles now is working for free. :-/

What I do is I don't ask questions, I dictate.

"LOD this is Cel, I'm taking my first 15 as scheduled (thanks mytime!), Joe (GSTM) has the front"

"LOD this is Cel, I'm taking my meal as scheduled, Bob (cashier) has a walkie up here if he needs assistance, thanks"

Doesn't leave any wiggle room since what can they really say? Our STL has said the LOD needs to cover front end breaks so we can take them as scheduled, not 3 hours late or never, so at that point it becomes a big not my problem. If there was an issue the entire store heard me call it out to the LOD, so that's on them. I always make sure my opening and closing cashiers have walkies because of this, otherwise the LODs will forget them and abandon them in the wilderness.

At my store, if it was slow enough. The GSTL would leave their walkie at Guest Service, and they would call the ETL if any came up.

But for Best Practice, another GSA, TL or ETL needs to cover the front. Sometimes the GSA in the CO would watch the lanes a 15min break.

At my smaller store it was usually the GSTM or a knowledgable cashier, and they would cover the break/lunch and their work center (service desk, food ave, etc) simultaneously.

Can't really do this at my larger store. We used to just ask for coverage over the walkie, but it was always the same 1 or 2 TLs volunteering, and they wound up getting fed up with that. So, we now have a break schedule for the week that I'm in charge of making. I print out the daily grids for the week and schedule every TL for GSTL/GSA break and lunch coverage evenly (6 shifts per day, 3 for dayside and 3 for closer). Even our Flow, Backroom, Deli, and Bakery TLs are part of the rotation. It works out nicely this way, because everyone is able to plan their day/week accordingly and no single TL is doing all of the coverage.

Tonight the training etl called me to fix photo for a guest. I still had ten minutes on my lunch, but what was I supposed to do? So later I asked the ETL-GE if I could do a punch correction for it tomorrow. He said that would be fine, but would prefer if I took an extra break instead. I laughed, told him I was GSA and wouldn't get my "earned" breaks, much less an extra one. He had nothing to say to that.

I'm confused, why wouldn't you just stay on lunch? The LOD should know you're on your lunch since you call it out. Then when you're on lunch, turn off your walkie. And if you're in the break room and still hear them call for you, feel free to respond... and say you're on your lunch, and will be done at X time. When you're off the clock for lunch, you shouldn't make exceptions just because photo is down.

I know you know this, but I'll say it anyway. Any one of us can be coached or even termed for working off the clock! Cover your own ass first! That's just my opinion anyway.

I'm confused, why wouldn't you just stay on lunch? The LOD should know you're on your lunch since you call it out. Then when you're on lunch, turn off your walkie. And if you're in the break room and still hear them call for you, feel free to respond... and say you're on your lunch, and will be done at X time. When you're off the clock for lunch, you shouldn't make exceptions just because photo is down.

I know you know this, but I'll say it anyway. Any one of us can be coached or even termed for working off the clock! Cover your own ass first! That's just my opinion anyway.

My walkie was off. I was hiding in the control room because I was having a bad night and it was cooler in there...and they must have saw me go in there. Either way, they would have found me in the break room, otherwise. Anyway, first the ETL came in to ask me a question, which I was able to answer. Then his trainee who was acting as LOD (not an intern) came in with a, "I'm really sorry, and I know you are on your lunch, but we need your help..." So either I look like a complete bitch and say no (and have it held against me) or I go and do as I'm asked by my boss.

Not great options either way. :-/

My walkie was off. I was hiding in the control room because I was having a bad night and it was cooler in there...and they must have saw me go in there. Either way, they would have found me in the break room, otherwise. Anyway, first the ETL came in to ask me a question, which I was able to answer. Then his trainee who was acting as LOD (not an intern) came in with a, "I'm really sorry, and I know you are on your lunch, but we need your help..." So either I look like a complete bitch and say no (and have it held against me) or I go and do as I'm asked by my boss.

I get this a LOT as a SrTL. Closing by yourself and punched out for lunch, someone needs the LOD, gotta roll with it. As annoying as it is, I came up with a couple options and presented them to my HR. A) clock back in and honestly spend missed time finishing my break or B) punch correction. Usually able to spend a few more minutes on break after clocking in. They're pretty serious about working off the clock and not getting paid so it's a good thing to take a stand on in my experience. I don't think there's been any negative reaction from anyone when I have to punch correct for time spent off the clock, especially when you work hard, it doesn't seem like you're milking it.

I'd say partner with your other TLs for coverage or get with LOD more than the 2 minutes before to work out a plan. We sometimes have to use guest service or food ave to watch the lanes but it's planned at the start of a shift. Communication works!

First, I'm not even a TL. I'm just the damn GSA. Second, there are no other TLs in the building generally at night...just the ETL (or SrTL) acting as the LOD. Third, no one but someone who has actually run the lanes (GSA, GSTL, or heck even a couple of our GSTMs) could handle everything that comes up at the lanes at any random period. Most LODs are lost when it comes to anything guest service, can't handle giving out a simple photo order, much less handling printer issues when a guest wants the photos NOW nor handle it when two cashiers need something at the same time.

So...we had planned for my lunch and they were physically covering the lanes (instead of their usual, "oh, we'll listen out for calls as we zone market in the back corner of the store" crap they usually pull)...unfortunately they just don't have the knowledge/experience to make the front lanes run all the time...so they come looking to us for help.

All the communication and planning in the world doesn't help when they either don't have enough working knowledge of the lanes, they refuse to come cover because they have to zone someplace else in the store and will "listen out," or like my STL who only pretends to care as long as there are other ETLs/SrTLs in the building but will ignore the front end as soon as the last exec walks out the door for the day.

Sounds like you were put in a pretty rough situation. That's not fair to anyone, but especially not a GSA (stuck in that quasi-Leader zone that they put you guys in). I'm sorry you had to deal with that in your store. It sounds like your leadership team has a lot of things they need to be doing better.

RG, I know that feels. For some reason almost nobody except the GSAs and a few of the long term cashiers knows how to process WIC checks at my store. There was a period where every single time I went on break or lunch I'd instantly have someone show up with a WIC check on a lane and get called back. Had to do a punch correction a few times. Not that big a deal but don't let them bully you, make sure you punch correct and make sure they approve it in a timely fashion.

Last night was one of those days where it would've been hilarious if someone had been covering at one point. I had the entire mid-close team on registers (around 6 PM or so, so maybe 7-8 people?), I get off a lane first and immediately 3 different blinkers light up. I was doing spin moves and stiff-arms and shit to get it cleared. One was a 16 year old with the world's largest alcohol sale, another was a vet cashier who couldn't get a barcode to scan on an item and needed a DPCI (with no one on the floor to get it) and the 3rd had pet food that was ringing up at twice the price on the sign, and she had like 12 individual packages of it. Most TLs would've been curled into a ball afterwards, for a ULV GSA that's just Tuesday...

RG, I know that feels. For some reason almost nobody except the GSAs and a few of the long term cashiers knows how to process WIC checks at my store. There was a period where every single time I went on break or lunch I'd instantly have someone show up with a WIC check on a lane and get called back. Had to do a punch correction a few times. Not that big a deal but don't let them bully you, make sure you punch correct and make sure they approve it in a timely fashion.

Last night was one of those days where it would've been hilarious if someone had been covering at one point. I had the entire mid-close team on registers (around 6 PM or so, so maybe 7-8 people?), I get off a lane first and immediately 3 different blinkers light up. I was doing spin moves and stiff-arms and shit to get it cleared. One was a 16 year old with the world's largest alcohol sale, another was a vet cashier who couldn't get a barcode to scan on an item and needed a DPCI (with no one on the floor to get it) and the 3rd had pet food that was ringing up at twice the price on the sign, and she had like 12 individual packages of it. Most TLs would've been curled into a ball afterwards, for a ULV GSA that's just Tuesday...

As a high volume PA I hear you.

OR you can go to the closest bar on your lunch

We're supposed to have a GSA/GSTL, other TL, or LOD cover.

How our store works:

Me: "Hey team this is ___ I need to take my meal break, can somebody cover the checklanes"

*cricket chirp*
*cricket chirp*

Me: "HEY TEAM THIS IS ______ TAKING MY HALF HOUR BREAK SO I DON'T HIT COMPLIANCE, WHO CAN COVER THE CHECKLANES"

LOD: "If you want to punch out I can listen from back in seasonal"

yup.

that's how it use to be at my store but i went to a TL meeting and ripped everyone for being so rude not to cover breaks but yet they all go on every one of their breaks together while the gsa's have to beg for theirs. After the meeting i told the gsa's to call the LOD and tell them no one would cover their break and what should they do. Took about a week and now it is never an issue.

Here's some very simple advice for you GSTL's and GSA's that will make getting your breaks covered so much easier that you will wonder why you didn't think of it.
Instead of waiting until the last minute and screaming over the walkie, or begging someone to drop what they are doing and respond to you immediately, get with them at the beginning of your shift and work out times with them. Then take your break and do not abuse the time by taking a 30 minute 15 or a 45 minute 30.
Or you can make a schedule for break coverage, partner with the other TL's and have a set rotation for the week. Do not dictate when they will do it, you have to work together.
Or work your own schedules so that you cover your own work center and stop leaning on the rest of the store only to never return any sort of help.

Here's some very simple advice for you GSTL's and GSA's that will make getting your breaks covered so much easier that you will wonder why you didn't think of it.
Instead of waiting until the last minute and screaming over the walkie, or begging someone to drop what they are doing and respond to you immediately, get with them at the beginning of your shift and work out times with them. Then take your break and do not abuse the time by taking a 30 minute 15 or a 45 minute 30.
Or you can make a schedule for break coverage, partner with the other TL's and have a set rotation for the week. Do not dictate when they will do it, you have to work together.
Or work your own schedules so that you cover your own work center and stop leaning on the rest of the store only to never return any sort of help.

I have to imagine that you're trolling. If you're not, your store sure sounds mightily dysfunctional. I don't know which guest service TM pulled your pigtails on the playground when you were 6, but you seem to be working out some pent-up angst against the front end here, when none of us work at your store.

1) Most of us attempt to work out coverage at the start of our shift. The problem comes when whoever is supposed to cover doesn't respond in a timely manner. Then you end up at the last minute yelling on the walkie because guess what - at the appropriate time they weren't available.

2) Abusing our break time? Really? Most of us are lucky to actually GET an occasional 15-minute break. Between having to prioritize cashier breaks over ours, and the controlled dance of chaos that is the front end, 15 minute breaks are a rare treat, and usually they're on borrowed time. I don't know what mythical fantasy land your store is in, but I know in most of our stores we're usually cutting breaks short so that the 3rd cashier break out isn't pushed back 25 minutes by us being late taking our break trying to find coverage, thus pushing back the next break which might be a cashier who takes 20 minutes, and so on and so on.

3) "Or work your own schedules so that you cover your own work center and stop leaning on the rest of the store only to never return any sort of help." Lol, this is where I know you have to be trolling. Mytime likes to schedule GSA breaks for when the service desk is still in cash office. Or schedule lunches at the same time. Or cut service desk hours so there's nobody in until 10 AM and they're not out of the CO until after noon. Not to mention the absolute chaos that the inevitable call-out can throw into the works. Are you really so dense as to think that the front end just has so many hours to throw around like confetti that we're just incapable of managing a workcenter and want the rest of the store to cover us? Maybe we'll just pull someone off cashiering, it can just wait until after noon, and we'll send our cashiers out to help throw the truck or do the instocks RIGs. Guests don't need to check out right? Please. The way payroll is at most stores these days we're lucky if we're only on a lane ourselves for half our shifts, if we're not out getting carts, and the repeated backup calls aren't just so we can get time off a lane to go sneak a smoke in the supply closet. They're because you literally cannot run a store without checkout, and if it isn't quick enough to keep out with demand, guests WILL walk out and not purchase anything. If I had extra cashier hours where they weren't constantly swarmed like the barely contained floodgates of a dam, I'd have them doing the 42 other tasks I've been assigned up front that I don't have time for and never will. I just had to spend 2 days pushing one spot off the truck because Flow couldn't be bothered. Guess I must be relying on another workcenter to do their goddamn job. My mistake. I'm sorry that needing my break scheduled actually requires someone with at least a minimum of experience with covering the lanes and working guest service for the short time I might be able to escape the front, because otherwise when I come back the damn store would probably be on fire, both cashiers would be missing and presumed dead, and there would be 4 carts in the corral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back