Archived GSTL RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 18 when i started with target as a gstl, im burned out lol.. Six months later, 19 in college and was told that I could not be a etl intern.. Which sucks because i need a internship to graduate from college.. So I might just say fuck it and quit lol! My store is the 2nd busiest store in the state.. We made upwards of 90M, but the highest self score we could give our selves was 83.. Honestly based on redcards/guest experience. But, its so fucking busy we're never 1+1 and we're in a area surrounded by young affluent professionals who don't want a FUCKING REDCARD.. They get miles!! Even with every register open the lines get head towards a block.. Annoying im over it!! Our etls are shit.. We have two etl-ge's one is there for support.. Until he gets placed its been 6 months though sooo yeah.. With 3 gstl's and 3 Gsas.. My peers and I are not on the same page.. I hold the team accountable and they let them do whatever! I JUST WANT ANOTHER FUCKING WORKCENTER! but the culture at our store is that you're not gonna move until your department is successful.. My orginal etl ge (2nd rotaition, she was etl hr for two years out of college) just had her status with another STL, and shes not going anywhere LOL.. So we're all fucking stuck HELLLLP.. Ps.. My crazy as rant (i know i have typos) sorry

Any suggestions? Are there any TL's that got to be an etl intern?

From another thread:
Fair warning, a TM in my store just tried to get into the Internship program. The STL and DTL had talked and from what it sounded like, our DTL was interested in getting her an interview for the program. She had my STL's support along the way as well as the ETL's support. She's going to college for Business Admin, but when it came time to sit down with the DTL, she was told she couldn't do the internship cause she worked with the company and it would require going through too many loop holes.
Maybe you'll be lucky, maybe not. If not, the next best thing you can do is apply for an ETL position post graduation.
Current Extended Intern

prim07, Dec 22, 2015

From another thread:
There are a couple different ways. I did all Three:

1. On campus recruiting events
2. Apply online
3. HR/STL pipeline (resume gets passed along)

Like I said, I did all of these and got an email with instructions and a personality quiz. 20 EXTREMELY difficult questions in 20 minutes (EX: Jim took the train at 8:00, Dean arrived 15 minutes after Tom, when did Tim arrive).
Then I had a phone interview with questions that can be searched online. Extremely personality based.
I then found out that because I was/am a TM, that I'm not eligible. It depends on the district, but in general it is very difficult to get the internship internally.

They are looking for juniors mainly that have little experience and have a lot of leadership (Also helps if you are attractive; sad but true). You need to fit the Target ETL form. They have gotten away from these roots but it's still there. They want to form you to their mold.

Recurring is usually November-January, but some (like mine) are still looking for applicants. This is frustrating because they are missing out in my opinion.

You can be placed at any store in your district so they are looking for someone extremely willing to travel for the 10 week program.

In some cases (mainly if your intern school is near your school) you can ask to be extended until May and work a piddly amount of hours during the week. Other than the extra 9 months, there is no difference between regular vs. extended.

JimmyTarget, Apr 13, 2015

I'm not an ETL Intern BUT I have my last interview with my DTL in a few days for the internship. The way I did it was pretty much ask the DTL herself if I could do it (with my ETL and STLs blessing) when she came to my store for a visit while she was with my STL doing a walk through. We pretty much set it up to where I "just so happened" to bump into her and start a casual conversation and inquire about it and my interest in the internship. My district does a lot of internal promotions so after hearing me out and giving me an on the spot 10 min interview in RTW she told my STL to let me go through the process.....the DTL is the end all and what she says goes I've found out, there's a reason why all the TLs and up start to jump when they hear she's coming.

Last edited:
Yeah but my department is red and our main opp in my store is redcards, so I probably won't have a shot! But, my roommates uncle is actually my sr GVP but he's still an asshole/cold.. Our district just fired 3 etls since jan 30th

I'm not an ETL Intern BUT I have my last interview with my DTL in a few days for the internship. The way I did it was pretty much ask the DTL herself if I could do it (with my ETL and STLs blessing) when she came to my store for a visit while she was with my STL doing a walk through. We pretty much set it up to where I "just so happened" to bump into her and start a casual conversation and inquire about it and my interest in the internship. My district does a lot of internal promotions so after hearing me out and giving me an on the spot 10 min interview in RTW she told my STL to let me go through the process.....the DTL is the end all and what she says goes I've found out, there's a reason why all the TLs and up start to jump when they hear she's coming.
Are you a TL OR TM?

Yeah but my department is red and our main opp in my store is redcards, so I probably won't have a shot! But, my roommates uncle is actually my sr GVP but he's still an asshole/cold.. Our district just fired 3 etls since jan 30th
Your roommates UNCLE is the GVP?!?! That's who you gotta talk to LOL, I'd be the best roommate on campus.

Also what year of college are you going into, they usually look for juniors going into their senior year when it comes to interns.

I'm gonna be a junior next fall, lol I know him but like I said he doesn't like my stl/ everytime him and the business partners/ drl visit he comes to the frontend and talks so much shit.. But my etl and hr said i would have to go the tl sr tl etl route.. But im not gonna be a tl with a degree ill just got work for aldi as a district manager straight out of college and make 88,000 plus a company car.

I'm gonna be a junior next fall, lol I know him but like I said he doesn't like my stl/ everytime him and the business partners/ drl visit he comes to the frontend and talks so much shit.. But my etl and hr said i would have to go the tl sr tl etl route.. But im not gonna be a tl with a degree ill just got work for aldi as a district manager straight out of college and make 88,000 plus a company car.

That's not true at all, the internship is for anybody interested in learning more about the ETL position. When I first got hired at my store I had an ETL-HR that said that there would be no way I'd even get looked at and they didn't look for internals....luckily he transferred stores and my new ETL-HR and my STL are all about internal promotions....probably because the STL gets a bonus for every TM that becomes an ETL but whatever....Id talk to the STL or even a recruiter on campus when they come because at the end of the day they aren't hiring you the DTL is.....FYI I'm gonna be a junior this coming fall AND my DTL knows it but still told my STL to push me through so don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible.

That's not true at all, the internship is for anybody interested in learning more about the ETL position. When I first got hired at my store I had an ETL-HR that said that there would be no way I'd even get looked at and they didn't look for internals....luckily he transferred stores and my new ETL-HR and my STL are all about internal promotions....probably because the STL gets a bonus for every TM that becomes an ETL but whatever....Id talk to the STL or even a recruiter on campus when they come because at the end of the day they aren't hiring you the DTL is.....FYI I'm gonna be a junior this coming fall AND my DTL knows it but still told my STL to push me through so don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible.
Yeah, hopefully it'll work out. I might transfer to store I trained as gstl at, the ge there emailed me and asked if I wanted to transfer lol. I loved the culture at that store, but its a super target ehhhhh

Yeah, hopefully it'll work out. I might transfer to store I trained as gstl at, the ge there emailed me and asked if I wanted to transfer lol. I loved the culture at that store, but its a super target ehhhhh
Move to where the most opportunity is I always say. Unfortunately the nearest Target other than mine is an hour and a half in any direction so no transfer possibilities for me but I like my store because I've been able to be trained pretty much everywhere.

As a TL I interviewed for the internship program. I was accepted. However, after it was too late they discovered that if I did it I would have to give up my TL position. I could always apply when I got done the internship. They also told me not all interns are offered a job position. And that the majority of the first few weeks is generic target stuff you already know. So... I didn't do it. My ETL said as soon as I graduate I'll be put through ETL interviews so it didn't matter to me much.

As a TL I interviewed for the internship program. I was accepted. However, after it was too late they discovered that if I did it I would have to give up my TL position. I could always apply when I got done the internship. They also told me not all interns are offered a job position. And that the majority of the first few weeks is generic target stuff you already know. So... I didn't do it. My ETL said as soon as I graduate I'll be put through ETL interviews so it didn't matter to me much.
It is true that you would have given up your TL position BUT the pay would have either been the same or more matter of fact I know it would have been more because they start you at SrTL pay and in some cases a dollar or two more and from what I've been told from our internship coordinator with the internship they want at least 90% of the interns to be given job offers and that if given an offer you'd be placed as an extended intern until you graduate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back