Archived GSTL vs GSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paidtosmile

Former Team Leader
Alright, so my team lead interviews are in the very near future, and GSTL is the work center they decided they want me in. The problem? I'm really not a fan of being GSA and I feel like GSTL = GSA + larger workload (coaching, interviews, etc) and it just sounds more like an annoyance than anything else. I have a few other major issues with it too, but those are unique to my store.

My stl knows I'm feeling hesitant towards the GSTL position, and she told me she doesn't want me to take it and then end up quitting a few months down the line, so she wants to make sure I'm on the same page as her.. But I'm just very much convinced that GSTL isn't the right position for me. It feels like I've already done the majority of the work involved, I don't like speed weaving, I don't like having anything to do with carts *shudders*, it doesn't seem nearly as global as any of the other team lead positions in the store, and it seems like a step down from other team leader positions.

Anyways, my question for any team leader's on here, what really separates your position from that of a GSA? Is it really that different and, if so, what's different about it? I'm at a ULV, if that creates a better picture.

edit: I've tried searching the forum already, and none of the links I could find had an answer relevant to my question.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Everything you said about the GSTL position is true. I would ask if there are any other team lead positions you could go for because I don't think there is any real advancement from GSTL in my opinion.

Don't do it. Everything you said about the GSTL position is true. I would ask if there are any other team lead positions you could go for because I don't think there is any real advancement from GSTL in my opinion.

I generally stay pretty humble and don't let myself get big headed, but the statements within this thread so far could not be further from the truth! A GSTL has SO much more in terms of responsibility than that of a GSA. The GSTL has the largest team workload in the store, so the stuff you shrug off in parenthesis (interviews, coachings, reviews) are the majority of what the GSTL needs to accomplish and with the least off stage time of any team leader. You can simplify any position in the way described above... Isn't a Hardlines Team Leader doing the same stuff as a Hardlines Team Member (zoning, setting salesplans, working pulls and reshop) but just has to do some coachings and mapping of salesplans?

Honestly, if you are going to be picky about your TL position then you should not be one... And you can promote from GSTL! I am currently a Senior TL, District Trainer, and my DTL wants to send me to ETL interviews when I graduate! If you are good, you are good no matter what position you are! If you get caught up in this kind of stuff you will not make it!

*End Rant*

I generally stay pretty humble and don't let myself get big headed, but the statements within this thread so far could not be further from the truth! A GSTL has SO much more in terms of responsibility than that of a GSA. The GSTL has the largest team workload in the store, so the stuff you shrug off in parenthesis (interviews, coachings, reviews) are the majority of what the GSTL needs to accomplish and with the least off stage time of any team leader. You can simplify any position in the way described above... Isn't a Hardlines Team Leader doing the same stuff as a Hardlines Team Member (zoning, setting salesplans, working pulls and reshop) but just has to do some coachings and mapping of salesplans?

Honestly, if you are going to be picky about your TL position then you should not be one... And you can promote from GSTL! I am currently a Senior TL, District Trainer, and my DTL wants to send me to ETL interviews when I graduate! If you are good, you are good no matter what position you are! If you get caught up in this kind of stuff you will not make it!

*End Rant*

That's actually exactly what I was hoping to hear, so thank you. Our front end leadership is beyond messed up right now (our only strong GSTL left and we've been short on GSA's since before I started), and really doesn't create a positive outlook for anything related to the front end at our store. That's kind of what put me in this outlook, although I'd probably be able to change that once I step into a TL role.. So thank you, again, for pointing this out.

And, for the record, I would have taken any position that was offered, but there are multiple positions opening up in my store and my STL wanted to make sure she put me (and two others) in positions that we'd all be successful with, and she pulled us in and asked for our input since she could afford to be flexible with this. If the circumstances were different and this flexibility wasn't an option, this entire situation wouldn't be happening. I would have done it successfully until my 18 (?) months was up, then applied to transfer to another work center.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back