Archived GSTM -> GSA training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired in August 2014 as a cashier. I was initially trained as guest service, then moved to cashiering, and then back to guest service around this time last year. Since then I've tried to be helpful to the other cashiers and guest service. I have had other team members (both from the front end and not) tell me that they enjoy working with me because I am hardworking and I know what I am doing. The two GSAs have both told me they strongly enjoy working with me because I get shit done and I get it done right, one GSTL has had me scheduled to close with him every Monday night for the past five months and another has asked about me becoming her closing GSTM on Tuesday nights. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT the perfect employee, I am pretty apathetic about redcards and do make mistakes but overall they seem to enjoy me.

On Sunday night the GSTL who was suppose to be on duty called off and everyone was left in a lurch, so they had me cover for him. It was extremely difficult because we were short two cashiers (me + a call off that didn't get covered) and so far everyone has told me I did a good job. Today I was approached by a GSTL about being in training. GSTLand I are pretty similar and she suggested I start closing on Tuesday nights to be in training for when a position opens up (we just promoted a full time GSA so I am not sure when that would be).

I'm not sure I want to be a full time GSA. I enjoyed watching the lanes but I also am fussy over guest service and had a hard time letting my replacement be autonomous on Sunday. Also, I am planning to go back to school, and I've told both my ETL-GE and my GSTL this. When I go back, I will either be quitting Target (because the commute would be too difficult) or going down to 25 hours/week (currently I have open availability). However I would appreciate the training because I feel like it would help me both in school and, if I do have to quit Target, having 'management training' would help me land another/better job closer to school. Also the way the GSTL schedules are it's incredibly asinine and having a part time GSA would be really beneficial to everyone.

Anyways I'm not sure how to approach this. Do I take the training? Do I take it with stipulations? This is my first "real" job.

Unless your store trains more than a couple hours worth and you think the extra money your store gives you is worth all the headaches go for it.

I wouldn't recommend it, but plenty of people jump for the chance.

Get the training. See if there is a spot near school. Work weekends only, is an option.

Last edited:
Become a GSA & you'll have to kiss that apathy about red cards goodbye.
It's one of those positions that's like a vac-cay spot: it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.
It's cool to step in for GSA occasionally but it can be hi-stress when it's your job day after day.
You'll be a poor man's GSTL, expected to do most everything the GSTL does for a smidge of the pay & held to the same metrics & standards.
As I told someone else, run.
You don't want this when you're getting ready to take time off for school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back