Archived Half my Team hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brobley

rubberball busted
Hired as seasonal, somewhat ignored. Vaguely recognized, through silent nods, as being a good seasonal flow guy. I work hard.

Kept on. Suddenly people who had been cool to me before refuse to return a hello. Seriously: I look them in the eyes and say hello with a smile, and they turn away saying nothing. Not only people who had never been friendly, but also people who once were friendly. What's up?

I did get an increase in hours when some were getting cuts and some other seasonals were cut out completely. But that wasn't my doing. If they're going to up me from 25 to 32 hours and cross train me in different areas. I'll take it. I'm happy to. Would they refuse the hours?

I don't understand what's offending them, because all I ever do is go in on time and work hard, no matter where they place me.

Has anyone else ever felt alienated from their team?

It's possible that you are being used to replace some of the slower long term workers and they aren't too happy about it.
There isn't anything you can do about it except keep your head down and do your job.

There is going to be job politics, their buddies are going to side with them when they see their friends hours cut and you working more but it's not your fault.
I would blame the ETL for doing a passive aggressive job of management.
Maybe they did talk to the TM about stepping up but I'm willing to bet they didn't.

Just keep doing your best job and don't worry about the people who are being hostile.
The decent people will come along and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much, these sorts of things come in waves (being liked/being unpopular). One thing I have noticed is that the "hard workers" recognize other "hard workers" and appreciate that, and don't feel threatened by that. Obviously, the people on the other side of the coin, feel differently. Long story short- don't fret the ones that don't "like" you... first of all, some of them won't last long. Also, this is a job, it's not about socializing and making friends, so don't let those things carry much weight. However, as long as you are friendly, and approachable (smile, acknowledge people), and also make it apparent that you are interested in them (ask questions in the BR...aka: "hey, how's it going?", "you working tomorrow?", "how's your day going?")- you'll be okay. Reiterating what others have said: keep doing your job, and I'll add: don't sweat the small stuff, and that's what this is!

I've seen this and lived it a bit:

I trained a lot of seasonal team members and watched them be let go or not, be accepted by the team or not. Even while they're there some people think "They're temporary, I'll treat them like dirt" while others think "That's a human being...treat them like one!"

But I agree with the gist of the previous posts - there's a core group in every store of people who work hard and respect each other. If you fit that criteria you'll figure out the rest of that group and you'll be able to team up with them. Don't worry about the rest of them except for to be polite and social. You pretty much have to smile and say "hi" and try to get your collective jobs done, but the people who aren't friendly with you don't write your paycheck.

The people who write your reviews and paychecks notice the good work. The others who work hard notice the good work. The slackers get pissed off and try to make it hard for you, especially while you slowly replace them. Don't worry about the slackers, just work on making friends with the hard workers.

And...congrats and welcome! Keep up the good work!

I sincerely appreciate the pep talks and humor here. I've had a few short discouraging spells at Spot, and you are a cool resource that's helped me throughout it.

Turns out I cross-trained in a new department with a few of the people I thought didn't like me, and they were plenty nice, and at the end they more than respected me for my work ethic, and even told the TL "I like him." They were great at training me, and I let that be known too, to TL and ETL. That probably helps with their reviews? Or do I have to fill out a card? I wouldn't mind, but is there an official procedure/hoop I have to deal with, or do I just grab cards off that bulletin board and write and post nice things about people? And what method bestows the greatest benefit upon the recognized party?

Thanks as always-

Last edited:
I've seen this and lived it a bit:

I trained a lot of seasonal team members and watched them be let go or not, be accepted by the team or not. Even while they're there some people think "They're temporary, I'll treat them like dirt" while others think "That's a human being...treat them like one!"

But I agree with the gist of the previous posts - there's a core group in every store of people who work hard and respect each other. If you fit that criteria you'll figure out the rest of that group and you'll be able to team up with them. Don't worry about the rest of them except for to be polite and social. You pretty much have to smile and say "hi" and try to get your collective jobs done, but the people who aren't friendly with you don't write your paycheck.

The people who write your reviews and paychecks notice the good work. The others who work hard notice the good work. The slackers get pissed off and try to make it hard for you, especially while you slowly replace them. Don't worry about the slackers, just work on making friends with the hard workers.

And...congrats and welcome! Keep up the good work!

This. I know quite a few seasonal team members that I've seen and worked with over the course of 4th quarter and I wholeheartedly agree they're human beings too and should be treated like one :) I always made sure to say hello and acknowledge that they're apart of the team and culture and they're all so nice and kind themselves! I even found one had a deep interest in computers like I do :)

And You're welcome brobley :D

I have no issue with seasonal employees. I give at least all of them a chance, but if I notice a trend of slacking, that's when I have an issue with some of them. I've been seasonal at places. I know what it's like.

But as a person who has no tolerance for laziness, I dislike any slackers. Temporary or permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back