Specialty Handing guests security items

I've always been told that if you have to unlock an item (whether from inside a case or from a locking peg hook), that you can't let the guest handle it at all until it's been paid for. But I also get chewed out from time to time when a guest complains I didn't let them open an Apple Watch (among other things) and try it on.

Did I miss something?

I will take it out the case and let them look at the box and stand nearby.

I DO NOT LET THEM OPEN IT because I then can't sell it as new.

Most items have a 90 day return policy though some items are 15 days. If I am in electronics I always state 15 days until I see what's on the actual receipt.

Finally we can POST-VOID items that they just bought but they have to do that at guest services but I rarely do that.

Also if you buy an item at another store and try to return to a different store the same day we will deny the return if it is done on a credit card.

Cool, these replies confirm what I thought. AP has always stressed the importance of this to me, but I've been told by a couple execs that I should be able to tell who's going to steal something. I've had a few guests over the years complain I wouldn't let them try on an Apple Watch/try an iPad, and I'm just confused by the reaction.

We get the Apple Watch question all the time and we just state we don’t have any demo product that can be tried on. The review question is the best I always say when that happens sure let’s dive into the reviews right over at the counter. Tends to stop them wanting that most of time but there are guests that do like that and if there is a seat available via target tech side to where they aren’t busy I always say they can sit down if they like as I check the reviews

So we still don't have any apple watch displays(remodel after effects) or seats to sit down on over at our boat (we will go get a seat for an elderly consumer cellular guest though since those activations can run a little long).
I just use those "review" times as mini breaks and reassess my work day in my head while i wait.

Yup you guard that item like a hawk. And even the vacuums that are now locked I have go ring it for the guest to make sure it’s paid (I didn’t know this until I let the guest have the vacuuum- I work in style and give the usual breaks in electronics) I haven’t had a guest attempt to try on the Apple watch. And if they would ask, I will tell them it’s not allowed and be upfront that we can’t sell the item with an opened box (like who really wants to buy an open box). And if they really need an info, I try my best to read the descriptions with them. And if they are not confident to buy it, I encourage them to do more research online.

My store at one time had Everything locked up. Guests complained so we reeled back and now if you have to use a key to unlock then you need to ring them up

I was taught that if you unlock something, you have to keep your hand on it until it's paid for, or if it's small enough you can put it in a security case if they don't want to pay for it at the boat, within reason.

Try on an Apple Watch? Riiiiight. Like you're buying that thing for looks. Gimme a break.

I will take it out the case and let them look at the box and stand nearby.

I DO NOT LET THEM OPEN IT because I then can't sell it as new.

Most items have a 90 day return policy though some items are 15 days. If I am in electronics I always state 15 days until I see what's on the actual receipt.

Finally we can POST-VOID items that they just bought but they have to do that at guest services but I rarely do that.

Also if you buy an item at another store and try to return to a different store the same day we will deny the return if it is done on a credit card.

You also should be denying same day cash returns, especially if it is a high ticket item. It's often a scam.

Back