MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Reading this thread makes me so irritated. My biggest pet peeve (especially with my store too) is when TLs and ETLs btich about something that we could be doing better on. LITERALLY, EVERYTHING IS GOOD. Numbers AMAZING. 141 NOTHING. Sales GREAT! Why are TLs so fixed on always doing something more when the systems we have in place work GREAT.
Same here. Today I was by myself and was told that I had to finish 10 old packets of truck as well as 8 z racks and 12 two tier baskets of reshop. And I couldn't work longer than my scheduled 5 hour shift. I sorted all of the reshop and did 2 pallets.

And, so it begins. Today was officially my first day as an A&A DBO. My new area (kids) hasn't had a DBO in a month. It's a hot mess. Shit's all over the place. Zone? What's that? Nothing is sized. No tags are tucked. ROYGBIV? Fuck that. We can't even figure out light to dark! Everything is randomly put somewhere. Not to mention the over 300 price changes that were left in the system for me to begin the day with. I have no idea where any of that shit is. *sigh*

Still, it was better than working Home & Seasonal.

One of the style people told me their secret. The tables had letters that were hidden if you didn't know where to look.

My store's tables don't, alas. That was something that a former GM-ETL begged to implement for fulfillment, but the SS-ETL is greatly opposed to it so that product can be moved as necessary to fill space.

I actually kind of know where everything should go in kids. It's just all been plopped somewhere else. Like why did someone dump a bunch of Disney shirts in AC type of stuff? Don't know. It's just what they did.

And, so it begins. Today was officially my first day as an A&A DBO. My new area (kids) hasn't had a DBO in a month. It's a hot mess. Shit's all over the place. Zone? What's that? Nothing is sized. No tags are tucked. ROYGBIV? Fuck that. We can't even figure out light to dark! Everything is randomly put somewhere. Not to mention the over 300 price changes that were left in the system for me to begin the day with. I have no idea where any of that shit is. *sigh*

No consistent zoning, no sizing, no tucked tags, no color wheel, no fixture locations - welcome to Style!

Have you taken a look at your Basics yet? I wish I could post pictures of ours without giving my store away - abysmal. I say again, good luck sir.

Kids was always the worst at my store, i swear it looked like moms dropped their demon spawn there and told them to keep themselves busy while mommy shopped.

I suggest doing whatever it takes to make whoever has mens disappear and then taking that area.

Kids was always the worst at my store, i swear it looked like moms dropped their demon spawn there and told them to keep themselves busy while mommy shopped.

I suggest doing whatever it takes to make whoever has mens disappear and then taking that area.
Hahaha! Come at me bro!

Mens is definitely the best area in Style. Unfortunately it is often neglected in my store, since total responsibility for collecting and sorting Style reshop and tending the fitting room also comes with the territory. If they are crazy, Mens be looking rough.

No doubt the focus you are given will be “freight freight freight “. Think about grabbing the clearance off the tables as you go and getting it hung. Sells better cleans it out of the store faster. That will make room for new product. Then as you work the freight just put the new stuff where it should go …as you go and eventually the depts will get sorted out. IE art class $10 t’s in art class and $6 graphics where they belong. If you got the assignment the store mgrs trust your work dedication. Kids is a high $ dept
Maybe a helpful VM can help with a section at a time such as help refixture and clean up say girls sleep…then a few days later licensed or swim. Broken into small sections of course is the only thing anyone has time for and shows a bit of progress. Good luck

No doubt the focus you are given will be “freight freight freight “. Think about grabbing the clearance off the tables as you go and getting it hung. Sells better cleans it out of the store faster. That will make room for new product. Then as you work the freight just put the new stuff where it should go …as you go and eventually the depts will get sorted out. IE art class $10 t’s in art class and $6 graphics where they belong. If you got the assignment the store mgrs trust your work dedication. Kids is a high $ dept
Maybe a helpful VM can help with a section at a time such as help refixture and clean up say girls sleep…then a few days later licensed or swim. Broken into small sections of course is the only thing anyone has time for and shows a bit of progress. Good luck
This! You can’t go into it trying to fix everything in a day. Little victories are a great thing. Trying to do it all will just burn you out. Slow progress is still progress and as you get acclimated you will see great results quickly.

This! You can’t go into it trying to fix everything in a day. Little victories are a great thing. Trying to do it all will just burn you out. Slow progress is still progress and as you get acclimated you will see great results quickly.
Get familiar with your hanging backstock. I recommend that if you are scheduled Mondays and Fridays that you fill from the backroom on those days. Monday to fill from weekend sales, Friday to fill FOR sales -and check what's going on ad Sunday so that can be filled or remerchandised. All of your basics are getting ready to be reset so that will be clean to build from. You will also have Amp gifting shippers of basics and your uniform shop next week if your new team hasn't already started setting them. I would check the organization of your basics backstock for pull efficiency. Also, during the summer/lead up to fall Target tends to put the basic CJ shirts for all kids and the girls leggings on sale for multiple weeks in a row. Checking and reprofiling/auditing those areas will also be beneficial.

LOL! I was supposed to go to mens. My new TL and I always talked about putting me in mens. Our ETL said no to that because there aren't as many hours available for it (fair), and "If I'm moving my best DBO from H&S, I have to give you a bigger challenge," (Damnit!)

Yeah, that's what I started doing. Little by little. Yesterday, after finishing a shitload of price change in an unfamiliar area I tackled the tables and hanging that facethe registers. Got them zoned and color-wheeled. Today, I tackled Girl's Performance and Grayson. Another TM folded up C&J, so that helped too. I wanted to get to AC folding, but I got bogged down in freight as they sent a bunch of new dresses and I had to rearrange fixtures to get them out.

Get familiar with your hanging backstock. I recommend that if you are scheduled Mondays and Fridays that you fill from the backroom on those days. Monday to fill from weekend sales, Friday to fill FOR sales -and check what's going on ad Sunday so that can be filled or remerchandised. All of your basics are getting ready to be reset so that will be clean to build from. You will also have Amp gifting shippers of basics and your uniform shop next week if your new team hasn't already started setting them. I would check the organization of your basics backstock for pull efficiency. Also, during the summer/lead up to fall Target tends to put the basic CJ shirts for all kids and the girls leggings on sale for multiple weeks in a row. Checking and reprofiling/auditing those areas will also be beneficial.

I can tell you the backstock situation is a mess. There is no room to backstock any hanging. And, not a lot of room to get what's back there onto the floor. The basic transitions are underway. The TLs started them last week. I'm not certain what's going on with the basic backstock area. Almost every waco has accessories in it. Da fuq? I'm going to have to clean that up. I'm going to have to talk to my TL about reprofiling that entire backroom area actually. It's nothing but large wacos. Smaller wacos would make so much more sense for a lot of the socks.

Thanks for all the help and kind words, everyone!

I can tell you the backstock situation is a mess. There is no room to backstock any hanging. And, not a lot of room to get what's back there onto the floor. The basic transitions are underway. The TLs started them last week. I'm not certain what's going on with the basic backstock area. Almost every waco has accessories in it. Da fuq? I'm going to have to clean that up. I'm going to have to talk to my TL about reprofiling that entire backroom area actually. It's nothing but large wacos. Smaller wacos would make so much more sense for a lot of the socks.

How does your store handle Style reshop? Do you have TMs assigned to the fitting room for their whole shift or do they take turns?

How does your store handle Style reshop? Do you have TMs assigned to the fitting room for their whole shift or do they take turns?

Someone is scheduled for the fitting rooms all day, unless the ETL forgets. If that person calls in, what happens depends on what else is going on that day. TLs might reassign someone, have TMs take turns, or just do it themselves. The fitting room attendant sorts, folds and hangs all returns and abandons. Every DBO* has a valet in the closet for their stuff. And there are a couple of Zs that float around the fitting room area to hang the massive amounts of RTW and swim. (*Mens is an exception here. That valet is kept on the floor and the attendant just has to walk a few feet to put stuff on it.)

Someone is scheduled for the fitting rooms all day, unless the ETL forgets. If that person calls in, what happens depends on what else is going on that day. TLs might reassign someone, have TMs take turns, or just do it themselves. The fitting room attendant sorts, folds and hangs all returns and abandons. Every DBO* has a valet in the closet for their stuff. And there are a couple of Zs that float around the fitting room area to hang the massive amounts of RTW and swim. (*Mens is an exception here. That valet is kept on the floor and the attendant just has to walk a few feet to put stuff on it.)
Thanks, interesting. How good are the Style TMs at pushing their reshop? In my store Kids is by far the worst. They will ignore it until it becomes a big issue. Often they will push the hanging but leave the bottom bin overflowing with folded and basics/accessories, which doesn't help.

We are just now starting to schedule dayside coverage for fitting room after a few months of letting it pile up during the day so that the night person has to handle it all, sometimes even the previous day's mess. But I am very much like you in that I have exacting standards for how things should be done (the right way) and I often have to tweak if not outright redo the previous TM's work. But some help is better than none most times, I suppose, lol. At least we have been able to get some decent zones in Mens now that there are others besides me dealing with the fitting room and reshop.

Dayside is still not pushing freight properly though, but whatever. I am learning to let things go and just do the best I can without overdoing it.

Thanks, interesting. How good are the Style TMs at pushing their reshop? In my store Kids is by far the worst. They will ignore it until it becomes a big issue. Often they will push the hanging but leave the bottom bin overflowing with folded and basics/accessories, which doesn't help.

That I don't know. I'm only 2 days into it. I was told not to bother with pushing reshop on day 1, but to focus on a massive amount of price change and zone. On day 2, one of our floaters volunteered to push the reshop for me as a I worked on the cesspool that is the kids' zone and freight. I go back tomorrow with orders to focus on setting basics. So I suppose that in my experience so far kids at my store, which is me, is terrible about pushing their reshop. :p

In fairness though. I really did inherit a mess. A hazmat suit is recommended to walk into girls. It took three hours just to pick up and deal with all the shit on the floor. There are tables that are nothing but gigantic piles of unfolded clothes. I need to get the zone under control so that I can get to reshop without just making things more of a mess. Baby steps. Baby steps.

I'm also taking over as DBO in kids in my store. The backroom and salesfloor are both full because of freight flow the last few months. Sunday was my first day and I spent my shift getting out the clearance and salvage so I could backstock hanging. I figure if I can do the backroom first then that will help with new merchandise coming in that isn't ready to hit the floor.

Word of warning, in my store the absolute worst clearance section was consistently NIT. So keep an eye on that, and check it very frequently. Get behind on that area, you'll be crying.
Yeah it's the worst in my store also. I just took over as dbo in kids and I have figured out that the TL hasn't actually been doing the price changes in kids. He's apparently accepting them in the system. I told him in no uncertain terms that he isn't to do that from this point on because I'm having to clean up his mess.

Yeah it's the worst in my store also. I just took over as dbo in kids and I have figured out that the TL hasn't actually been doing the price changes in kids. He's apparently accepting them in the system. I told him in no uncertain terms that he isn't to do that from this point on because I'm having to clean up his mess.
They do that in my store too, I call it by that old term "pencil whipping ".

As for Infant clearance, that is indeed bad. Ours is located in a wasteland between Infant Style and Baby Hardlines and that area always, ALWAYS looks like shit.

That I don't know. I'm only 2 days into it. I was told not to bother with pushing reshop on day 1, but to focus on a massive amount of price change and zone. On day 2, one of our floaters volunteered to push the reshop for me as a I worked on the cesspool that is the kids' zone and freight. I go back tomorrow with orders to focus on setting basics. So I suppose that in my experience so far kids at my store, which is me, is terrible about pushing their reshop. :p

In fairness though. I really did inherit a mess. A hazmat suit is recommended to walk into girls. It took three hours just to pick up and deal with all the shit on the floor. There are tables that are nothing but gigantic piles of unfolded clothes. I need to get the zone under control so that I can get to reshop without just making things more of a mess. Baby steps. Baby steps.
The big issue in Style is that it requires constant maintenance - zoning and reshop are never-ending. Last night my tables looked great, and then I got to watch two guys and a kid ruin half of them in five minutes..

But overall, we finally got Mens and Fitting Room under control (for now), and the only way was to throw bodies at it. As good as I am (lol), there are just times when one person can't keep up with reshop, fitting room, and zoning by themselves.

They do that in my store too, I call it by that old term "pencil whipping ".

As for Infant clearance, that is indeed bad. Ours is located in a wasteland between Infant Style and Baby Hardlines and that area always, ALWAYS looks like shit.
That's where ours is also. It's a hot mess right now. And I was informed via text this morning (my day off) that my dbo duties will include infant hardlines because I have previous experience when I worked as a team lead at Walmart. Our infant hardlines area hasn't had a dbo for awhile so of course it's horrible.

That's where ours is also. It's a hot mess right now. And I was informed via text this morning (my day off) that my dbo duties will include infant hardlines because I have previous experience when I worked as a team lead at Walmart. Our infant hardlines area hasn't had a dbo for awhile so of course it's horrible.
Ours is neglected as well. The back end caps look like people just threw random crap on them. They make no sense. Stuff abandoned everywhere. Just, BAD.

Back