MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Shoe reset. Why oh why did someone think it was a good idea to puts womens c9 sneaks with men's. When I go shoe shopping, I don't go to the men's area. Put signage up on the wall or something. Dumb imo.

Aren't all the c9 together on one row with the converse? Like mens/womens/boys/girls/toddlers? It is an absolutely dumb idea... so dumb that we haven't yet figured out how to manage it. Because in order to put the c9 in that one aisle they want it in we sort of have to know where the boys shoes are going to go.

Maybe depends on the store. My store has men women and converse together, then in the next aisle over, all the kids c9 sneakers. S sport is on endcaps at the moment. It's dumb to me, either way. Las month I was able to tell men that all men's shoes are in the last (or first depending on which direction we were coming from) aisle. Now it's a bit more complicated.

I have a couple of questions... maybe someone can help me.

My store seems to not care how much product is getting pushed. When I first started last year, the TL would stress no overpushing, double check the dpci and back stock things that have no location or not on planagram. I left for a few months due to schedule conflict. Ever since I came back in December, they have not mentioned any of those things to the new workers. Is this happening anywhere else? My store looks horrible and we have sooooo much clearance everywhere, it starting to look less like Walmart and more like Big Lots.

Is there a set # for each size? I should add that when I check how many pcs should be out, the pda says #s that seem really high like 8, 12, 16.
Jeans - I was told 2/size No more than 4 jeans high. I'm seeing kids jeans with 3 and 4 each size. Spots set with 4 sizes are still getting 2 or 3 each... it looks terrible. Shirts? Sweaters? Does anyone know?

I have a couple of questions... maybe someone can help me.

My store seems to not care how much product is getting pushed. When I first started last year, the TL would stress no overpushing, double check the dpci and back stock things that have no location or not on planagram. I left for a few months due to schedule conflict. Ever since I came back in December, they have not mentioned any of those things to the new workers. Is this happening anywhere else? My store looks horrible and we have sooooo much clearance everywhere, it starting to look less like Walmart and more like Big Lots.

Is there a set # for each size? I should add that when I check how many pcs should be out, the pda says #s that seem really high like 8, 12, 16.
Jeans - I was told 2/size No more than 4 jeans high. I'm seeing kids jeans with 3 and 4 each size. Spots set with 4 sizes are still getting 2 or 3 each... it looks terrible. Shirts? Sweaters? Does anyone know?
As far as I can tell, my store's overnight flow team is told to generate as little backstock as physically possible. This means we have foot-high stacks of shirts on top of tables that fall over and make the SL team take 3x to 4x as long as they should to fold tables. It's bullshit because it would take less time to just backstock it and let it come out on pulls than to force SL to fold all those shirts. Furthermore, either the system is broken or the table backstock isn't being done properly because it all keeps getting put on pulls and overnight's push after it's been backstocked.
People would buy more folded items if they didn't just look like big mounds of cloth with size stickers and tags mixed in, but that's apparently not what overnight or corporate wants. So we're told not to backstock the tables, just to flex it (so that nothing ever ends up in its proper place on a table anymore). This is a pet peeve of mine, if you haven't already guessed. :D

For your situation... Talk to your ETL, ask them if they want the folded properly backstocked or if the team should leave them overstocked. Don't ask if you, specifically, should leave them overstocked, because they will most likely tell you not to bother with it. If it sounds like multiple people are going to work to keep it presentable, they should be more accepting of the idea.

In my store for soft lines push 2 of same size jeans, graphic tees in men's I put out everything. C9 in men's 3 or 4 of each size unless each size has it's own shelf. All other tees 3 pr 4 unless they are on sale then I may put out more.

Idk the official rule, but I'm sure flow in my store doesn't either. They don't even push things in the right location, I understand they get no equipment, but neither do I and I can tell they pushed things to the wrong location without it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the honest co stuff doesn't go in the middle of the aveeno stuff.

Flow in my store is so frustrating to me. They'll have a full flat of back stock and I'll still come back to the area (I'm usually in the baby gondola) and find more things they should've back stocked. I can see not wanting to back stock a single item, but you already have a full flat!

Baby is so bad, lately. I zoned 66% of the racks. Flow still pushes everything to 3-7 different racks and it seems no one else ever zones it so it's a mess. I'd been avoiding baby so other people would see that I need them to maintain it when I fix it, but no one cares. I'm off today so no one's gonna maintain what's already done. I'm scared I'm gonna go to work tomorrow and it will have all been for nothing. Every time I bring up the state of baby they all say "that's why I never go over there" or "that's why I hate going to baby." YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM FJRIFJIRJFJRJ

/vent

It's gotten so bad over in Softlines at my store. I bailed out and all the good people who are still over there are desperately trying to transfer elsewhere. They're being told that they cannot transfer (including promotions) until a replacement for them is hired. People are pissed. I'm hoping the ETL-SL quits before her time to rotate out to another store+department comes up. Maybe they'll be forced to send someone with some experience, then.

Bright side, that zoning wasn't all for nothing. My srTL finished it up yesterday. I haven't worked with her in a while but today I came in and was all "yay you finished it" and she was all "yay thanks for starting it... I expected worse when I went in to do it." Hashtags team work.

But, I'm at work now and this flow lady is terrible. She put dresses on a rack of boy's hoodies, she doesn't put anything in order, she doesn't pull out the arm when things don't fit, she puts infant sizes with toddler lol.. It's just too much. I'm going behind her to zone what she messes up

Softlines drives me crazy because nothing is located but there is so much flex as items sell through and new ones come in that it seems inefficient to try to keep tying everything.

Exactly!! Our Mens is a effin disaster...I hate working in that section.

Bright side, that zoning wasn't all for nothing. My srTL finished it up yesterday. I haven't worked with her in a while but today I came in and was all "yay you finished it" and she was all "yay thanks for starting it... I expected worse when I went in to do it." Hashtags team work.

But, I'm at work now and this flow lady is terrible. She put dresses on a rack of boy's hoodies, she doesn't put anything in order, she doesn't pull out the arm when things don't fit, she puts infant sizes with toddler lol.. It's just too much. I'm going behind her to zone what she messes up

I hear you. When I'm zoning in toddlers it's always a mess. From the parents going psycho in the aisles, to the people stocking stuff wherever. My question is...are people supposed to be overflowing things? I mean sometimes in order to properly zone I have to take out some sizes because there's just too many on a rack!!! There will be like 10 mediums of something and a few of the other sizes...Its ludicrous.

I've worked in other retail stores like Macy's and they had a huge standard on proper presentation. So I find it hard not "presenting." Such as putting on a nearby sweaters over a holiday dress to upsale it. But I do realize this is Target not Macy's. Also sometimes I'll move things somewhere else. I mean like the holiday dresses, from 1 4-way to another with similar items from the same brand....I know I'm not supposed to do that but everything is super packed!!! As a customer I'd be annoyed and would probably feel justified leaving the area a mess too.

I move things around all the time. I'm sure the area isn't zoned to Plano, but it looks so good now and the layout makes sense for the most part. It made very little sense before. My TLs don't seem to mind my edits.

I've read a couple times on here that some stores never backstock hanging stuff, but my store does. Kinda. We do in theory, but our new etl log keeps telling early morning to push all the things so they push as much as they can force to fit. But no, it isn't supposed to be overflowing.

When I worked at Macy's, they had a separate team of people who's only job was to fix racks and fold clothes, so they definitely put more into presentation than target haha

I don't know about other stores, but in mine softlines seems to be the hub of drama. One team member especially. If she knows of drama in softlines, EVERYONE knows about drama in softlines.

I'm in flex now and whenever we have to pick something from softlines all the guys come looking for me or someone in the fitting room, asking where it is. Or you see them wandering aimlessly in ready to wear when it's a girls shirt they're looking for.

When the bk rm tm's come to soft lines for ff I always get it for them. They readily admit they are clueless and I completely understand. No problem I gotcha.

Can someone please refresh my memory on how to do rewrap? We don't really do it at my store.
According to our ETL-SL, you find the barcode and print a defective label, attach that to the item, then send it to Guest Services. She's pretty awful.

Could someone please tell me why the tables and racks have to be overstocked to the point that they look horrible no matter how hard you try to make them look nice. I'm usually on the sales floor so when I work soft lines it drives me crazy!

At our store we aren't allowed to backstock softlines. Seriously shook my head when I saw like 30 0/3mo gray infant pants today. Took up two racks....smfh!!!!!!!!

I constantly backstop clothes. If it's more than 4 items of the same size, it gets back stocked. If it's hanging and the rack is beyond full, goes to the back. But it won't say back stocked and we're responsible for pulling it. When a guest is looking for a specific size, it makes it harder for them and requires more time/money for us to fix the mess. Luckily my store understands that.

So any other stores slammed with soft lines this week. I think our dc sent every single piece of clothing plus all pajamas, slippers, socks and underwear. After de trashing Monday we had 125 empty repacks! WTF Each day has gotten lighter. I think by Friday we'll get nothing. Lol One can only hope.

Softlines was horrible at our store. We had a cart full of pajamas that needed to be repacked. Luckily another girl and I had the pleasure of doing that. But yesterday and today, it was slow. So we were finished by closing and we're able to super zone. Not normal since it's been chaotic since BTS.

I constantly backstop clothes. If it's more than 4 items of the same size, it gets back stocked. If it's hanging and the rack is beyond full, goes to the back. But it won't say back stocked and we're responsible for pulling it. When a guest is looking for a specific size, it makes it harder for them and requires more time/money for us to fix the mess. Luckily my store understands that.

I've tried it. But then I saw someone take those things off a backstock cart and shove them back on the rack!! Smfh...

I would love to work at that store. Everything is brand new and looks amazing!!!! My store is super old and really is a great example of "Targhetto..."

Back