MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Shoot I dont use a thing when i zone. Find something out of place i walk it to where it goes. Oh out of area let me take thst to guest service its been 15 mins and i need to grab reshop again anyway. Oh empty hangers let me just walk those to the fr and check reshop there. They want waste of time rules with no answers I will play that game. When they ask why my zone looks like crap I tell them to. They have no answers and I am doing what I can with what I am given.

Mini Rant!
When I'm working reshop, I take my z along with me and zone hanging as I'm putting things away. That way, I can put all the random stuff I find on the z and I don't have to keep running back to the FR. Saves time and keeps my zone looking passable. Somehow my TLs and ETLs are fine with me running around with a giant cumbersome z rack half the time just as long as I'm not using a cart. Whatever.

But I feel like it's just another instance of unexplained new rules forcing my SL crew to find loopholes, and bend the rules just to get by... Otherwise, how are we supposed to give great guest service (all that selling training man), field calls on the zebras, replenish, zone, do reshop ever 15 minutes, and back up? We're good but it feels like with everything we have to do, nothing gets done well. Advice?

I feel like we are behind in actually implementing alot of the changes like this. No

Oh thats something you have to figure out on your own. I asked about that and got told I need to adapt quicker and have a more positive attitude. All I asked was what the best suggested way to grab overflowing reshop and prep it would be. So just figure out or get fired is the answet to this :/ we lost 4 more apparel over this 1 of which was hired last week. Our stl is going to rip out the desk so all we have is the closet back there so we will be tasked with entering the fr every 15mins asking if everyone in would like other sizes or options (like we even know what they went in with anyway) and grabbing the reshop ij the rooms and running them out.

We are literally going to look more like a thrift store than ever. Our white racks are supposedly being stored somewhere but the grapevine says they are being trashed instead so who knows. Cant wait till black friday and hell forbid halloween.
This is one of Target’s issues when it comes to leadership. They want something done, but there is very little direction of how to accomplish the desired outcome. We don’t want you using carts to collect reshop throughout the store. OK, so how would you like us to collect the items?

How many of you are in a ULV struggling with the backroom remodel? We have HALF the baby/kids aisle for hanging and we're supposed to have the other half as well but atm there is NOWHERE for them to put baby hardlines. It's annoying as hell because everytime they go down the aisle to backstock they end up knocking our magnetic signing off point or entirely off and it ends up somewhere else. It's not a priority to them to be careful or fix it because they're not A&A and frankly don't care. And of course corporate is sending someone to grade our A&A backroom end of October. -_- Also we have one aisle where the shelves are half the width of the rest of the stockroom shelves and we're expected to store our folded and basics in there. It works for ONE set of folded in each waco but basics is crammed because... no space.

And then SFS people.... we have a few that are considerate and golden but then we have the idiots who leave the wacos hanging half off the shelf and it's just a matter of time before they start falling in the floor and dumping their contents. -_- It does look better on the whole and we purged out a lot of stuff that we didn't have time to purge to prior. But we're still trying to get caught up on old transition as they establish the team on the floor.

Finally got departments divided among TMs so that it's not one person chasing workload anymore and this whole idea of "ownership" is coming closer to reality. Many of our TMs are really excited about this because for the longest time we all owned the ENTIRE floor. And we're finally getting the hours to staff the floor the way they want (maybe because we're heading into 4th quarter for all I know). SRTL says they still need to hire a few more bodies. I just hope they get brains to go with them. >< IF we can keep the people we have long enough to add the ones we need people just might stay and 4thQ might not be so bad this year. Guess we'll see...

A volume store here. I’ve noticed a lot of the TMs, not just a few anymore, are taking advantage of others that will help them out at the end of the night so that they won’t cover Electronics/FR/Beauty breaks/lunches nor will they back-up cashier nor zone! Yesterday myself and one other TM finished our zones by close. Then, we had to help out the other closers (one of whom openly admitted they know they’ll get help so they slack!) It’s very frustrating and although I know the leaders are well aware of the issues and they are taking the appropriate actions, in the moment it is so frustrating.

A volume store here. I’ve noticed a lot of the TMs, not just a few anymore, are taking advantage of others that will help them out at the end of the night so that they won’t cover Electronics/FR/Beauty breaks/lunches nor will they back-up cashier nor zone! Yesterday myself and one other TM finished our zones by close. Then, we had to help out the other closers (one of whom openly admitted they know they’ll get help so they slack!) It’s very frustrating and although I know the leaders are well aware of the issues and they are taking the appropriate actions, in the moment it is so frustrating.

At least good to hear they are aware and doing something about it. Hopefully they deal with the issue soon. I know if it was me and they didn't deal with the issue in a timely manner I would probably end up slowing down my zoning speed so I finish my areas but not with enough time to help them. I mean I don't mind helping newbies who haven't gotten up to speed yet or people whose areas have been thrashed due to high traffic but hell if I wanna help someone so they can get paid for the work I do.

Oddly enough zoners today just don't realize that the standard used to be oh SO much higher than what they're expected to deliver now and they have FEWER fixtures/clothing to cover. I know when A&A first remodeled to mannequins we lost 54 quads in RTW alone. I started zoning when everything on a rack had to be in style/color/size order AND the hangers finger spaced. The depts I was assigned had to be PERFECT before I went home. Now they just have to look presentable with no clothing on the floor and no one gives a fig if the hangers are spaced at all. I mean if it looks good from the racetrack then your job is considered well done. Times have changed a lot over the years... that's for sure.

At least good to hear they are aware and doing something about it. Hopefully they deal with the issue soon. I know if it was me and they didn't deal with the issue in a timely manner I would probably end up slowing down my zoning speed so I finish my areas but not with enough time to help them. I mean I don't mind helping newbies who haven't gotten up to speed yet or people whose areas have been thrashed due to high traffic but hell if I wanna help someone so they can get paid for the work I do.

Oddly enough zoners today just don't realize that the standard used to be oh SO much higher than what they're expected to deliver now and they have FEWER fixtures/clothing to cover. I know when A&A first remodeled to mannequins we lost 54 quads in RTW alone. I started zoning when everything on a rack had to be in style/color/size order AND the hangers finger spaced. The depts I was assigned had to be PERFECT before I went home. Now they just have to look presentable with no clothing on the floor and no one gives a fig if the hangers are spaced at all. I mean if it looks good from the racetrack then your job is considered well done. Times have changed a lot over the years... that's for sure.

Sometimes I do do that😄! Yesterday, the (newest TLOD who I have known since they started) started going off on a TM who was out of her area because she didn’t want to zone it. It was very rough. She goes, “Well once soyaxo is done with shoes, she can come help me, she even said so!” And the TL replied, “TM, I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT,” before I could respond. I was like “Yes! A TL who stands their ground...” I did end up helping her, but she ended up having to, too, which is all I ask for. I just don’t people to take advantage of others. I am glad for some parts of the remodel. I like owning all of RTW. I like owning one area consistently, but there are many aspects of 2015-2016 I miss. I should also mention the TM started in November when I had left for Dillard’s. The shoes TM I’m not sure about but he is the trainer for the area......but he did help much more willingly, and legitimately was trying, so he’s fine. YAS is horrible in a higher volume store, even for me!

Last edited:
Training today. I was teaching a set of ladies who own a dept in A&A together how to do the resetting for this week. One of them was stellar, asked questions, opened her mind, understood, and went on to teach the other after I left. Felt for her though because the second kept saying "this is too hard" and "this is too confusing" almost nonstop. Wouldn't open her mind and was putting things in the wrong place. -_-

At least you know what to teach i had my first trainee and glat out told her I have no clue what to teach you because my idiot leqdship wont tell us what we are doing. I kid you not I have asked repeatedly what exactly i own and what exactly i need to do and all i get told is what i always do. . .pick up the floor and fold table. My leaders are absolute crap and i feel so bad for the noobs because they get even worse communicstion than me

To be honest our floor setup is still in the process of being completely worked out. The part time people either have smaller areas they own OR they have a partner who is part time that owns it with them. The full time people own larger areas. The truck process is working on being super sorted. When that process is complete, people will really start owning their areas all the way down to push. I know all the processes and how to train on them. What I don't quite understand is what a typical shift is supposed to look like at this point. As I understand it, leadership is still trying to figure out that part of the puzzle.

Anyone else get sent 10 million shoes for a 3 aisle shoe dept? Or was that just us? Ok, exaggerating just a tiny bit but not much. About seven or eight pallets of shoes that would fill our shoe department nicely IF the damn thing was empty. Why can't they run through clearance faster if they're going to do this? They did the same thing in spring... sent us about eight pallets for a 3 aisle shoe dept. We used to have 5 aisles but we lost 2 to the remodel and it's like NO ONE told the DC. :p

I'll never understand why these things don't go salvage closer to the date of the transition.

Amen! Of course that would make sense and Target is all about the dollars and not much sense. >< lol It'll probably take us a couple of months to get all of these shoes figured out and in the meantime they sit around on pallets against the wall in our breakdown area. What gets me is that they just sent a decently sized reset in the beginning of September. Not as large as this October one but still.... no way enough of this is going to fit out there on the floor. -_-

When I started over two years ago that was the standard, but finger spacing just wasn't going to happen. There were too many clothes on the sales floor for the bars to have that much room.

and it's like NO ONE told the DC. :p

This comment is what made me address your previous comment. I swear at my store whoever approved the blueprints for the physical size of the store did not talk to the person who decided how much stuff the store would hold. Back when I started we had more stuff than space. Not insanely more, but certainly difficult to put stuff onto the floor. We had to take stacks of shirts and put them behind the other stacks of shirts because there were more shirts than shelves. Same with clothes, more styles than bars, so three or four different styles had to fit on one arm. That was with 3 trucks a week. Now trucks come daily and we just don't have room on the floor or in the back, so things are super squished. I don't get why we have always had more stuff than room and I really don't get why stuff is coming in faster than ever.

I thought I was the only lucky one that received 4 pallets of shoes for 2 aisles of women's and a single 4ft of kids shoes. I'm already getting the pressure to empty the pallets but I have pretty much no space. But when i explain that to my backroom they just tell me again how many pallets there are as if speaking that aloud magically makes more space.

I thought I was the only lucky one that received 4 pallets of shoes for 2 aisles of women's and a single 4ft of kids shoes. I'm already getting the pressure to empty the pallets but I have pretty much no space. But when i explain that to my backroom they just tell me again how many pallets there are as if speaking that aloud magically makes more space.
This is the same situation on my sales floor and in my back room. Like 11 new kids shoe styles came in and all the old styles still take up all of the space there is for it, none of it went clearance this week, no room on surrounding 4fts because 11 new styles came in for those and they were already full too.

I don't know what they do want me to do. I started telling people they can go on the carpet in front of the 4fts if they like.

This transition is usually bad but I've never seen it like this.

Same story with shoes coming in like crazy. What's worse is we got dinged for not doing the super sort properly. "All shoes should be broken out onto metros by gender and brand." Um... how? We would have literally no green racks for anything else. (AND they only saw one of the pallets lol)

I dunno if it’s any help, but are your stores executing the vmg 100% for shoes that should be living on other A&A floorpads? Maybe some of the new styles are actually for RTW or YC? And is shoes 100% on price change and salvage? Just a couple thoughts as I have no idea of what the situation is really like in stores for the past couple months...other than that one store nearby looks pretty decent most days (in apparel only as the rest of the store is a complete and utter train wreck) and the other stores around are a god awful mess.

My store also put all clearance shoes in there own departments like clearance women shoes in RTW clearance and so on and we freed up a whole valley doing that

We finally convinced our STL to let us palletize the clearance shoes that don't fit on the floor and just put them aside until they go salvage, since shoe INFs were always massive on account of them not setting it until a month after the transition because of all the clearance.

Does anyone know the name of the
here goes, I have to describe something weird that doesn't have a name:
Long plastic snap-on piece that attaches to the metal front of a 4ft softlines section and holds signing and 3x3s?

@sigma7 my store is still a chain store. So all shoes are "supposed" to be in shoes. We put men's shoes in men's dept a while back since oncoming 2.0 remodel was gonna make that an eventuality anyway. So that move did give us some much needed footage in shoes, but it's still tight at times. Tall boots just eat up sections really quickly in the fall. Sometimes I wish TARDIS physics applied. Lol.

Back