MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

Sooo just finished my first shift, just 4 hours, and we basically put stuff from the fitting room racks back on the floor the entire time (sorry I'm blanking on the lingo... hahaha)...is this normal? Is it a Monday thing? Or a morning thing?

Sooo just finished my first shift, just 4 hours, and we basically put stuff from the fitting room racks back on the floor the entire time (sorry I'm blanking on the lingo... hahaha)...is this normal? Is it a Monday thing? Or a morning thing?
It's a normal thing and something to get good at because when the store's busy you'll be expected to do it fast sometimes all areas. It's also a Monday thing since this weekend was crazy so today there was a fraction of guests and it seemed boring/slow.

Reshop will be an all day thing, every day. I agree that it's a great way to get to know the floor.

It’s called reshop and it’s a constant thing. It’s not a bad way to get used to where the different brands are located on the sales floor.

Are you doing your Workday Learning too? The first day one takes a while..

Yeah, I finished that stuff! Phew.

I've definitely become a lot more familiar with the floor, which is good, but I really had no idea the reshop was such a huge part of the position. I've literally done that + fold jeans. 😂

I’m in the Midwest and we have them easily 10 months out of the year. The only problem with them really is keeping them zoned well. If they’re hanging correctly I can live with fixing the zone, and the newer hangers seem easier to keep the bars organized. At least in my experience 😁

O M G THE BATHING SUITS. And I'm in California, so apparently they are out year-round. 😂😎
I’m in the Midwest and we have them easily 10 months out of the year. The only problem with them really is keeping them zoned well. If they’re hanging correctly I can live with fixing the zone, and the newer hangers seem easier to keep the bars organized. At least in my experience 😁
Thankfully in New England we are past the high season for them. I don't mind putting them out and zoning so much, the big issue is the fitting room. From the first warm day of the year till after the 4th of July, it's wave after wave of guests trying on piles of them - and many leaving them in literal piles on the floor in the fitting room. It's not unusual to have a double tier reshop cart of just bathing suits, often more than one.

I love how almost very school has started and parents are still saying things like, "Don't worry I'm sure they still have more school uniforms in the back." "When are you getting the next big shipment of school uniforms?" or I attempt to order something for them on the mycheckout and tell them it takes about 3 days to arrive at their house they then tell me lol Johnny only has 1 pair of uniform bottoms and they've been washing them every night. Sometimes they don't like my answers and go find another team member and get the exact same answer.

Not gonna lie, my first closing shift the other night, by myself in kid's apparel where it looked like a bomb went off, 3 racks of go backs (re shop? everyone here calls them go backs?), no idea where anything goes, expected to get most of those done plus straighten up the entire dept...I thought about quitting. Like, on the spot, but I would never actually do that. Why is there only one person doing all of this at the end of a busy back to school weekend?? Holy shit, I never want to work in kids again. FINGERS CROSSED.

Not gonna lie, my first closing shift the other night, by myself in kid's apparel where it looked like a bomb went off, 3 racks of go backs (re shop? everyone here calls them go backs?), no idea where anything goes, expected to get most of those done plus straighten up the entire dept...I thought about quitting. Like, on the spot, but I would never actually do that. Why is there only one person doing all of this at the end of a busy back to school weekend?? Holy shit, I never want to work in kids again. FINGERS CROSSED.
I feel your pain. On a different thread I said that Shoes and Intimates were my least-favorite areas, but I forgot how bad Kids is, especially certain times of the year. I'd take Shoes or Intimates any day over Kids, lol.

The way the TMs in my store handle it is they just ignore reshop. Very frustrating. If they actually do take a rack, they bring it back still mostly full. It always builds up until someone has no choice but to push it, usually the TL.

I don't know where "go-backs" comes from, we never use that at my store, always reshop. I wonder how two different terms came about for the same thing, lol.

Reshop is just items that have to “go-back” to the salesfloor, so that one makes sense. 😁

My first solo shift was seasonal two days before Christmas. I understand the need for combat pay well.. Leadership was seeing how well you respond to needing to get a lot done in very little time. In your situation I would’ve focused on getting everything off the floor and fixing the tables as I weave up and down the rows of racks. I wouldn’t bother too much with spacing the hangers or even sizing them, just make sure they’re all flat and easily shoppable. Push the reshop when you’re done and push by brand. Cat & Jack all goes in one area, C9 goes in another, Art Class, More Than Magic, they all have their own area and pushing will be easier tackled that way. As you push reshop fix the tables. The last 10 minutes walk the aisle around your zone and make sure it’s tidy just walking by. If an area gets destroyed by a last minute shopper let the LOD know there is a zone opportunity for the morning. This covers both of your asses and gives the openers a heads up.

I promise it won’t always be miserable! Just remember, this too shall pass.

Reshop is just items that have to “go-back” to the salesfloor, so that one makes sense. 😁

My first solo shift was seasonal two days before Christmas. I understand the need for combat pay well.. Leadership was seeing how well you respond to needing to get a lot done in very little time. In your situation I would’ve focused on getting everything off the floor and fixing the tables as I weave up and down the rows of racks. I wouldn’t bother too much with spacing the hangers or even sizing them, just make sure they’re all flat and easily shoppable. Push the reshop when you’re done and push by brand. Cat & Jack all goes in one area, C9 goes in another, Art Class, More Than Magic, they all have their own area and pushing will be easier tackled that way. As you push reshop fix the tables. The last 10 minutes walk the aisle around your zone and make sure it’s tidy just walking by. If an area gets destroyed by a last minute shopper let the LOD know there is a zone opportunity for the morning. This covers both of your asses and gives the openers a heads up.

I promise it won’t always be miserable! Just remember, this too shall pass.
It makes sense, I just wonder why some stores use one and some use the other.

That's great zone advice. Hitting clearance and maintaining it helps a lot too, as it usually gets trashed over and over.

It makes sense, I just wonder why some stores use one and some use the other.

That's great zone advice. Hitting clearance and maintaining it helps a lot too, as it usually gets trashed over and over.
Usually? More like you can't see the carpeting under the racks unless clearance was bare to begin with and there's not enough to drop. It's just obscene how fast and how much it can be messed up. I've gotten it all hung up nicely and left for an hour and there's 10+ pieces of clothing under each section of rack, so 50-60 items total plus several items tossed over the bar an hour later. Made me want to cry. I don't understand why mothers think it's fine to be so messy. Great example, mom.

I don’t understand why hangers go missing so much more in clearance than regular racks. That’s the worst! It’s like ok fine I’ll pick up after you because maybe you’re having a shitty day or maybe you’re a shitty person but either way I’m not taking the time to figure out which it is. INSTEAD. I’ll pick up everything, hang what I can, go back to the fitting room to hang my hopes and dreams and these $2.40 shirts, and I’ll put them back out. ThAnK yOu For jOb SeCuRiTy.

Usually? More like you can't see the carpeting under the racks unless clearance was bare to begin with and there's not enough to drop. It's just obscene how fast and how much it can be messed up. I've gotten it all hung up nicely and left for an hour and there's 10+ pieces of clothing under each section of rack, so 50-60 items total plus several items tossed over the bar an hour later. Made me want to cry. I don't understand why mothers think it's fine to be so messy. Great example, mom.
OMG, the parents. They set such fine examples, don't they? I've had families of four try stuff on in the big fitting rooms and leave them trashed. Not to mention letting their children scream and hit the walls until I thought they might actually break them down. No wonder kids become such assholes as adults.

I don’t understand why hangers go missing so much more in clearance than regular racks. That’s the worst! It’s like ok fine I’ll pick up after you because maybe you’re having a shitty day or maybe you’re a shitty person but either way I’m not taking the time to figure out which it is. INSTEAD. I’ll pick up everything, hang what I can, go back to the fitting room to hang my hopes and dreams and these $2.40 shirts, and I’ll put them back out. ThAnK yOu For jOb SeCuRiTy.
Ask your pricing person if they COLLECT the hangers when they remove the salvage. Some lazy price change tm’s will process the salvage item and leave the empty hanger on the rack.
Oops. Never mind. Now I read you mean you are SHORT on hangers. We always have TOO MANY empty hangers.

Last edited:
Ask your pricing person if they COLLECT the hangers when they remove the salvage. Some lazy price change tm’s will process the salvage item and leave the empty hanger on the rack.
Oops. Never mind. Now I read you mean you are SHORT on hangers. We always have TOO MANY empty hangers.
Yeah we usually either have the right amount to rehang or some leftovers, rarely are we short.

Back