Archived Has anyone ever threatened people during the unload of a truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payday weekend is a real b****. This weekend is no different.

Lots of call offs and a small team with a not-so-big truck should mean a smooth unload.

Wrong.

First, nobody set up the truck to be unloaded as the gate door was still down. Secondly, the line had to be changed because the automatic line we had broke again. Lastly, the few team members we had to unload the truck all had that "Saturday" energy which essentially is no energy at all.

I get stationed in the front of the line and when you do the front you usually have to handle the repacks, the bulk and push the line and handle the pallets behind you. When the team gets slow, I try to be fair and let people get the boxes off when they can. The problem is the people who unload the truck, and some of the more aggressive team members who don't get along with the rest of the team think otherwise. This leads to the entire team basically refusing to acknowledge my presence aside from asking for a day off or wanting food for me.

Last night however, a lady on the line came very close to wanting to have a fight with me. I didn't pay it no mind, but someone who did the front line previously told me people used to complain about her in the office and threaten her as well. I understand that there is no fighting on the line, but most of the team comes from an area of the city I live in where that is the norm for dealing with difficult situations. For one reason or another, my approach, which is really just to do the job, pisses them off because it appears I am "company man".

I'm not. I just do the job I'm assigned.

What is it about the truck unload that causes such tension and random threats of violence? I know this isn't the case in stores that don't take a truck everyday, but are there heavy volume stores that engage in such drama when the trucks are unloading?

Drama is at every store in one form or another. With your issue though, I'd strongly suggest hitting up the etl-hr.

Another team member and myself have already gone to the ETLs about this including the ETL-HR. Most of our management is unfortunately very scared of the more aggressive team members and have given up really trying to tell them about this sort of thing.

Drama is at every store in one form or another. With your issue though, I'd strongly suggest hitting up the etl-hr.

Another team member and myself have already gone to the ETLs about this including the ETL-HR. Most of our management is unfortunately very scared of the more aggressive team members and have given up really trying to tell them about this sort of thing.
Go to your ETL-AP. They are the other end of leadership that is concerned with threats of workplace violence and will take the proper steps to get this team member out the door because it sounds that this is what needs to happen. If nothing happens then reach out to the hotline because the HRBP and APBP will become involved and something will happen. If this team member has actually threatened you he/she needs to be gone because you cant work like that.

Yes I remember we had one guy pull a knife on another and said "You want to die, Mother******?" when he was irritated. And mind you, we are in a suburb that is high-income, 90% white. This stuff ISN'T the norm. Well he went to HR and they apparently gave the responsibility of dealing with it to the ETL-LOG, and he pretty much did nothing being a friend of the aggressive TM. He finally was fired for another HR-related issue later, when the ETL-LOG quit, so he's no longer working with us. But I am constantly surprised at how much crap doesn't get taken care of by Target HR.

Like forgetfulSDA said, go to AP. If HR won't do anything about it, get the ETL-AP involved.

The situation has been resolved for now. Mostly because I am simply going to take steps to get the hell out of there.

I've never seen anything like that happen like that on the line at the my old store.
Sure tempers flared and people got very frustrated with each other but there were never physical confrontations.
A lot of whining and snarky comments but that's par for the course.
I'm not sure if it makes a difference but at least half the crew were Hispanic and a third were woman with at least two married couples in the group as well as some relations.
Also they respected the ETL Logistics, he was the only ETL in the building who wasn't a straight out of college type.
He worked side by side with them and did things like get them breakfast.
It's funny how food soothes the savages in the flow team.

Sounds like some of the management staff at some stores are uhm...retarded. Its 0 tolerance with workplace violence at Target. Our store has thankfully never had that much drama when it comes to stuff like that. We did have a couple on the logistics team that was dating and apparently the guy punched the girl and she whooped his a**. So he made some threats as soon as we started hearing the threats, he was fired, on the spot no questions.

Sounds like some of the management staff at some stores are uhm...retarded. Its 0 tolerance with workplace violence at Target. Our store has thankfully never had that much drama when it comes to stuff like that. We did have a couple on the logistics team that was dating and apparently the guy punched the girl and she whooped his a**. So he made some threats as soon as we started hearing the threats, he was fired, on the spot no questions.

Very rarely will a retarded person tolerate or promote violent or threatening situations. This sounds a lot more like a stupid person that needs to be fired for violating Target policy.

This store I work at doesn't take too kindly to you telling on the other shift and what they do. As a result of what happens, you will lose hours and get performanced out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back