Archived Has anyone worked at Walmart before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The atmosphere's less toxic here than the Target I worked at and it's done wonders for the amount of stress I was under just six months ago.

Sounds like you got super lucky in that regard. The one thing Walmart does have on everybody else is hours. I was even scheduled for overtime on Black Friday my second year there, but unfortunately I'm still scarred by those 8 hours of that one day all those years ago.

Might be the individual store culture and hiring standards too. The store I was at would hire anything that walked in the door so we had a lot of unstable people bringing their issues and attitudes to work every single day. It was easily 1,000 times worse than any other job I've had including fast food. I would hesitate to go back there even if I were offered $30 an hour, not even joking.

One thing I was told by some friends who worked at Walmart is that Walmart does more promoting from within, at least compared to Target, where almost all ETLs are hired right out of college, and it's almost impossible to move from Sr. TL to ETL. Also, they told me that fewer sales floor employees carry walkies.

One thing I was told by some friends who worked at Walmart is that Walmart does more promoting from within, at least compared to Target, where almost all ETLs are hired right out of college, and it's almost impossible to move from Sr. TL to ETL. Also, they told me that fewer sales floor employees carry walkies.
A close friend started as a vendor that worked in Walmart, switched to working at Walmart as a department manager, became the next one up (I forget the name), and is now an assistant manager all within 5 years. To my knowledge just him and the other managers and the operator carry walkies at his store. The not hearing screaming every 5 minutes must be nice.

My sister in law was an assistant manager for 2 stores.

She was overworked. 60+ hours a week, 6 days a week.

When I was still seasonal at Target a few years ago, the ETLs were marking down trees to $10 - $20 after Christmas so we could move the rest of the inventory off the floor. I made some joke along the lines of "Hey can you guys mark down an iPad for me?" and they all had a big ole roaring laugh about it. I remember making a similar joke when I was at Walmart and all I got was a death glare and some snark like "Keep talking like that and you'll be having a conversation with LP" :rolleyes:

Basically everyone at my Walmart was a humorless cunt. I still don't know why I subjected myself to 3 and half years of that shit. Lol

I’ve heard similar things too. Apparently it’s pretty easy to get promoted if you’re competent at your job, and the promotion process is more transparent and easy to understand.

My sister in law was an assistant manager for 2 stores.

She was overworked. 60+ hours a week, 6 days a week.
Sounds about right. My friend lets them walk all over him while the other managers do what they want. That’s his fault for letting them do it sometimes though.

Hi,

has anyone here worked at Walmart before and can offer some opinions on pros and cons of working for Target and Walmart please? I searched the forum and the information is a bit old....I might need to switch to Walmart to get closer to home, but don't want crazy customers or pressure...

Thanks!
I strongly suggest against this. I worked for one for several years as Lawn and Garden. A quick primer is this: take all the bad things about Target and square them. That's Walmart which is still @ $10 If you must leave Target, go to a home improvment warehouse or out of retail.

Back in February I left Target and started at Walmart for various reasons. Went from working flow and receiving to CAP-2, which is basically flow team except we only unload the trucks then stock consumables.

Working for Walmart is shit, and it isn't. I'm getting paid less per hour but I'm making more, thanks to getting 40 hours a week, every week, with occasional overtime. The schedule is consistent, but tiring (I work 2p-11p and have a 30-minute drive one way). There's no time and a half for holidays, but the MyShare payout at this store seems to be $200-300 from talking to coworkers, so yay? Haven't gotten one yet because I'm still in my 6 months, but will qualify just in time for the next one I think. The atmosphere's less toxic here than the Target I worked at and it's done wonders for the amount of stress I was under just six months ago.

It's not a job that I plan on doing for too long but for where I'm at in my life right now, it works. Maybe once some background things have settled I'll look at transferring work centers or finding a job closer to home.
Sounds like you got a high volume Wal-mart that has a good management group. Most are not, and everyone hates each other.

When I was still seasonal at Target a few years ago, the ETLs were marking down trees to $10 - $20 after Christmas so we could move the rest of the inventory off the floor. I made some joke along the lines of "Hey can you guys mark down an iPad for me?" and they all had a big ole roaring laugh about it. I remember making a similar joke when I was at Walmart and all I got was a death glare and some snark like "Keep talking like that and you'll be having a conversation with LP" :rolleyes:

Basically everyone at my Walmart was a humorless cunt. I still don't know why I subjected myself to 3 and half years of that shit. Lol
Yes. But I was in a store where apparently before I arrived this is what happened to electronics. They did and got mass fired for it.

The Walmart close to my house has had 3 lot shootings in 8 months. The Target closest to the ghetto has had a parking lot shooting and hit and run.

All have your lot of undesirable patrons.

In the end, I think its safe to say.... all the same. One is red, one is blue.

Yeah, the supervisors and managers I know all worked their way up from TM-level. I've had a couple of my bosses ask me if I've thought about developing for leadership despite only being here a few months and being very open about being more comfortable dealing with processes than people. Its weird and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Sounds like you got a high volume Wal-mart that has a good management group. Most are not, and everyone hates each other.
Is it fucking ever a high volume store. There is a GM and grocery truck every day. Once or twice a week there are two GM trailers. There's talk of adding a third double truck day.

The management definitely isn't perfect (there's a lot of backend drama I know exists but don't have the skills or interest to pick up on) but my immediate bosses work hard, are supportive and recognize when other people do a good job. Its a far cry from my old Target store where the only time anybody remembered existed was when I did something to make them look bad or they needed me to do something.

As someone who went from Target to Walmart, all I can say it just depends on the store and it's management team. My Target store was amazing and my STL, ETLs and TLs where all amazing. Same For Walmart, all my ASMs, Co-Managers, and Hourly Supervisors are great (Except a few ASMs).

Sure, I wish Walmart still did time and a half for holidays, and I wish Walmart still had it's Sunday $1/hour premium. But I think in the end it's retail. The 1 plus of Walmart is I found it easier to promote or move work centers.

Oh and PS: Fuck you Walmart, your discount is shit compared to Target.

Sure, I wish Walmart still did time and a half for holidays, and I wish Walmart still had it's Sunday $1/hour premium.

WTF, they nuked holiday pay? I got paid double to work Christmas Eve (it still sucked ass).

The Sunday premium was overrated IMO and only amounted to an extra 8 bucks for a full shift. I always thought there should've been a +$10/hr Saturday premium since Saturdays were the absolute worst days. Every single Saturday at my Walmart was like Black Friday at Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back