Archived Has Working Retail Made You An Independent Shopper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I know I am going to need help finding something or am going to have questions... Like electronics, I go shop at target! If I want to be absolutely left alone know I don't need any sort of help say the hell away from me? I shop at Walmart! :D Mostly groceries. We are not a pfresh store. I hate being bothered and talked to. Just leave me lone!! I can DEPEND on Walmart idiots to leave me alone and on the occasion I need help from them? I shrug my shoulders and go the local grocer :cool:

Yes. You can take your sweet time and ask a million bizarre questions or take forever to get to your point while you explain your entire life story to the associate who just wants to know if there's anything wrong with the item you're returning.
Pretty much sure you have to be a complete and utter moron with psych problems to do something like that.

Just saying...

I tend to research or have some knowledge of what I want to buy when I go into a store, so if I must ask anything its "can you unlock/check to see if you still have XYZ?" But I've never been one to ask a zillion questions.

Woman came in the other day to drop $500 plus on a bedroom TV, didn't know what 1080p or 4K was, didn't know what size she wanted, didn't know what brand...I was flabbergasted people can shop so foolishly. And she was solely reliant on me for my experience. She was lucky I actually know things about TVs, it was literally my first ever shift of electronics...

^ I don't shop like that, and that's why my TV actuall fits in my bedroom.

I've always been prone to keep to myself unless I'm hopelessly lost, but one thing I have gained from working in retail is that I have learned to be more patient, tolerant, and even kind to children.

Years ago I strongly disliked kids. I thought they were snotty little shits and anyone who liked them was completely gullible or insane. Over time, I've learned they're not all bad. Babies still kinda suck, though.

You must give off some vibe. They don't do that to me...

Really? I'm talking about the people who come to Guest/customer/whatever service and when you ask them if there's anything wrong with the items they're returning, they feel the need to give you this long diatribe about how the drapes didn't match the carpeting and their son who bought them is an idiot for getting the wrong ones and yadda yadda blah.

Yeah. Or they come up to you to ask a question and take forever to get to the point.

I've learned to be more friendly to retail employees. A hello and a how are you go a long way some days.

When I see someone being a real asshat to a cashier, et al & it's obvious they're being a moron, I enjoy pointing that out - that it's not the retail worker's fault the customer is an idiot.
Sometimes that can make a cashier's day.

Yes. I want to listen to my music when shopping, but if I need to know if something is in stock, I will figure out if it's in stock myself.

I usually don't ask for help if its just a normal shopping trip. Ie, Wal Mart , grocery store etc. However, if its for a major purchase ( Ie had to buy a new washing machine last year) I do research online and then go to the store and ask questions etc. I am also a firm believer in that IF you are willing to complain when things are not so great ( Ie bad customer service etc) then you should be willing to compliment when things go great.. So,if I am somewhere and I receive great customer service. I will send an email, make a phone call, fill out a survey etc. I also always try to include names of the people who helped me. Why? Because I know what its like to go above and beyond and not get thanked for it . I also believe in treating other people the way I want to be treated.

I'm actually less hesitant to ask where something is now. I don't ask for help picking things. I hate shopping, so typically, I do all the necessary research before I even get to the store. I'm less hesitant asking where something is because I personally don't have a problem pointing something out to people and 98% of the questions are the same questions because no one can find baby socks, the men's department (it's hidden behind a tall wall in my store) or the tiny section of sewing junk. So yea, I just figure it's unlikely I'm gonna have the question that stumps them and sends them out of their way.

I usually know what section I will find my items in, sometimes I'll ask where that section is. (I need an inflatable mattress...where is your sporting goods section? I need trash bags...where are your cleaning supplies?). I don't need the aisle number, just a literal point in the right direction.

I never ask about specific products. People who ask me specific questions about a model of vacuum or microwave drive me crazy. I know we don't get trained on how our products work. If the electronics guy seems knowledgeable, I may ask a question, but that's the extent of it. I do my research ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back