Archived Heat in store making people ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated, there are many factors that go into the decision to close a store, and it is something that gets decided over a period of time. A BIG red flag is lack of reinvestment. Has this store gotten any remodels? New stackers or waves? New carts? How often does it get stripped and waxed?

There is a store about 1/2 hour from me that hasn't remodeled in years (if ever). It still has Red, Green and Blue worlds and VERY old, dark and yellow lighting. They also still have electronics in the front of the store (every other store in my area has electronics in the rear of the store). It of course isn't a P-Fresh store and the grocery area of the store is tiny (way smaller than the grocery area in my old store before we went P-Fresh. Year after year it remains open.

Yes. There are two other Targets within 30 miles of us. And we had a remodel in the last two years. I know we aren’t a major store but they should still take care of us while we are working our asses off and making them money, even if there is a possibility of closing soon.

Are there any other signs the store might be closing? We have been doing great in sales the past few months.
Wait. You had a remodel in the last two years. But half of your AC units have been broken for 2 years and they didn't take care of them with the remodel??

Yes. There are two other Targets within 30 miles of us. And we had a remodel in the last two years. I know we aren’t a major store but they should still take care of us while we are working our asses off and making them money, even if there is a possibility of closing soon.

Are there any other signs the store might be closing? We have been doing great in sales the past few months.
Consistency is key. Sales, BTS results, location, nearest competition, turnover, etc.

A few months of good sales is great, but sales don’t tell the whole story. Trends of all metrics over a period of time are taken into account.

A few years ago it was incredibly hot in our store. I was constantly giving comment cards to guests to fill out and send to headquarters.....evidently it worked......the temp was turned down.....then it was so cold and after just a few days of the nice cold temperature something happened and the temperature went back up.....

Like all stores it is hot by our registers, too.....so I've suggested to TMs who are way too hot to bring in their own little fans to plug in when they work...so I'm hoping that there will be enough TMs bringing in fans that the store will requisition fans for us.

Target needs a foyer entrance, like Walmart.

Or am I just in an old store? Do supertargets have them?

Last edited:
We have one. Doesn't make any difference. I'm pretty sure one set of doors is not fully closed before the second set open when just one person walks in or out, and since there's usually a bunch of people staggered out a bit all four sets of doors are open at the same time for long periods of time.

All I know is that it's always freezing in all 3 Walmart stores we have here.

I have a foyer entrance at my store. Straight shot in, only about 6 feet between them, and guests are actively in the path of the outer doors when the inner doors trigger. The only solution I can see for this particular issue is to make the foyer larger.

And, at least one set of doors is always broken, so it is propped open.

Wow... birds fly in when that happens.

Man, when I was in electronics at Walmart we had a bird nest in the rafters above the electronics counter and it took them a week to get around to taking it down. It was funny to watch them flying back and forth to the nest and hearing CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP from the hungry chicks!

We call in the pest guy with a pellet gun.

Small update:
One of the TMs who has also been affected by the heat in our store noticed that air has been turned on in the store, but only in places where the construction crew for the remodel have been working. When they were redoing electronics, there was air there, but there isn't now, and so on. So it would appear that they can, in fact, give us better air conditioning. Oh, and of course the offices are air-conditioned. Excessively so.

It's usually hot in our store and it's always been a B.S. issue that the guests complain yet nothing is changed. And it makes no sense that temp set in the 80's is acceptable when 1. my store is very much south and it's blazing hot and humid, 2. the store gets packed full of people and the electronics (registers, electronic's area, etc.) puts out so much heat already. You can't cool down when your working, and it's even worse when you have an area where many elderly people live and they come in and you can tell the heat outside to the heat inside doesn't help them.

The remodel has brought more heat and while they were redoing our service desk it got really bad. So bad one woman came up to the desk and was yelling at US. Like, okay? I know it's hot. See the sweat on my shirt? WE ALL KNOW AND WE ARE MISERABLE. 'well go tell your manager'. THEY KNOW. Even our ETL's were miserable, but we found out why it WAS so hot feeling.
The dehumidifier for the building was said to have stopped working. Not that the AC was shut off like it was made sense to be since the remodel. That was also confirmed by our PMT. Guess that's why it was like walking out of the blazing heat and humidity into what felt like a swamp.

Electronics is ridiculously hot even when the entire store is cooler. I'll be dead before my ETL gives us the fan I keep asking for
Ditto. At least my store allows water bottles at the boat. That's what's keeping me alive right now, because we don't have a water fountain in the backroom.

I'm in the Mid Atlantic and we get the high temps plus the humidity. And that is what gets people is the humidity. We are not allowed to have anything to drink on the floor if you are hardlines, nowhere to put it when you are not drinking out of it. So we keep walking back to our locker or fridges in breakroom to get something wet and cold.

I walked into another grocery store today, they carry some items Spot does not, and they had air on. Felt so nice to shop there.

I spent a month in northern Illinois during the Summer and thought I was gonna die.

Imagine living there all your life LOL. Today was 95 degrees and about 65% humidity all day, and the rest of the weekend is supposed to be worse.

First of all.. air is always "turned on". Your hvac system is almost always cooling unless you live in snow country. Target has an insane amount of appliances that are just venting heat, and then there are all the people breathing. some vents may be expelling warm air, but others will be expelling cool air. Industrial HVAC units are constantly adjusting temps and use water to maintain specific air temps throughout the store.

That doesn't mean some things may not be broken. Currently one of the AC units above a corner is out of commission causing that corner to be warm (the backroom is an oven over there). In a previous store we had faulty humidity sensors that caused condensation issues in grocery for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back