Archived Heat in store making people ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been bad for a couple of previous summers. But summer hasn't even started and already, the lack of air conditioning in our store is making me and some other team members ill. They've even had heat going on mornings when the forecast is supposed to be a high of 80 Fahrenheit.
I've been nauseated at work and at home for about a week, severely enough that I'm going to need to ask my doctor for some prescription meds for it when I see him on Monday. Another TM has also been getting nauseated along with some other stomach-related problems from it; same thing happened to them last summer and they are thinking about quitting because they can't go through that again. Yet another has been getting headaches as well as stomach issues which are causing them to take frequent bathroom breaks. We are allowed water bottles with us, but simply staying hydrated isn't enough.
Guests have been complaining too, not that it seems to have done any good.
Who do we have to contact to file complaints about this? Our leads are tired of hearing about it so they are of no help.

And if you go into a WalMart, you freeze your ass off.

I wonder - is it cold in the target stores up north?

my store was always roasting hot year round until recently, AC has mysteriously been on full-blast after the latest BTS. I guess enough TMs gave the "comfort" question a negative score that they finally took notice, I sure as fuck did. It's literally 30 degrees cooler in receiving now than it was last year.

I'm thinking it's like my store - we have ac but the powers that be keep it set to 85. Real comfortable when it's 95.

Spot should have regs on store temp, 'cause that's ridiculous. Receiving is harder, because of more exposure to elements, but they have giant fans in receiving at my store so it's as good as it can be. A little chilly in winter, a little warm when it's warm out. The only time I've been on the warm side is working the aisles by meat/dairy/frozen--it's like they slightly overheat those aisles so when it starts to get warm out it's a bit warmer there.

Here are the OSHA guidelines on heat: Heat Stress: OSHA Regulations - FindLaw - https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/employment-law-and-human-resources/heat-stress-osha-regulations.html

Specifically:
While OSHA does not have specific regulations for indoor workplace temperatures, the agency recommends a temperature range between 68 and 76 degrees.

If your store is above that consistently, and TMs are showing signs of heat illness, and your leaders won't address it...hotline that shit.

The stupidest thing is how TM's can't wear shorts.

nXbTUdR.gif

They know how to dress in style!

LOL

I'm thinking it's like my store - we have ac but the powers that be keep it set to 85. Real comfortable when it's 95.
It's been a Target problem before I started working for them. I used to complain when I was a guest and was told corporate controlled the temp in the stores.

Guests complain to me all the time. You'd think Target would get the message.

We've had at least one Tm wind up with heat exhaustion and we have a/c. It's so bad that guests will return huge amounts of clothing because they'd rather try stuff on at home then deal with a sweltering hot fitting room.

We've had at least one Tm wind up with heat exhaustion and we have a/c. It's so bad that guests will return huge amounts of clothing because they'd rather try stuff on at home then deal with a sweltering hot fitting room.
I do this. I'll try to do shop softlines and just grab stuff to try on at home or get so frustrated by the heat that I stop shopping.

My backroom is brutal. We've complained about it countless times, nothing is done about it. Store temp on the floor and in the backroom should be set at 70-75 degrees.

If I have to work in 80+ degree conditions I should at least be allowed to wear shorts

I'm in a store up north and we don't freeze. Long sleeves & long pants in the winter, short sleeves and capris in the summer. Working truck, I'll sometimes work up a sweat, but it's not sweltering. Back room temps are more dependent on outdoor temps, but there are a lot of large, high-speed fans to keep the air moving so it's not bad.
You'd think that they'd want to keep it comfortable for guests so they browse and buy more. But we all know how much Target likes things to make sense, right?

I’m not going to miss this summer when it’s 100 out and the old ACs break down every couple weeks. Last summer the clerical and break room AC broke down at least once a month. I tried to push for a FSR (field service request) for years and HQ did nothing.

bruh I can't wait for winter when it's -3 F in the trailer and I've got on my signature red sleeveless shirt throwing cases with a huge grin while everyone else is bitching that it's "too cold", lol cry more. If you like heat move to Dubai or something, I'll take freezing temps over 72F every fucking day!

My store is a furnace to start with & I'm around hot equipment at SB & FA with sweat running into my eyes.
This is the time of year that the freezer gets crowded with TMs trying to cool off.
On the plus side, the shelves have never looked better.

bruh I can't wait for winter when it's -3 F in the trailer and I've got on my signature red sleeveless shirt throwing cases with a huge grin while everyone else is bitching that it's "too cold", lol cry more. If you like heat move to Dubai or something, I'll take freezing temps over 72F every fucking day!

72F isn't even hot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back