Archived Heat in store making people ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
72 give or take is the set point temp for most units in the building. When it gets 100 outside, 72 is a nice relief. Our breakroom/clerical got to 90 at one point last year so much that in the mornings when it was 70 in the mornings, it was nicer outside. I tried to make it less suck with fans. We had to deal with for two weeks because the compressor went down and the vendor had to get a part

They're supposed to do temp checks around the store when we complain it's too hot. But the SFT or PMT or whatever you call it that we have just walks around the store looking for things to gripe at other people about. He's also an asshole.
I think we do have a/c and they're just refusing to do anything about it. The offices are always cold and right when you walk in, you can feel a wave of cool air. Around the rest of the store, nothing. You hear fans going, but I think they're just blowing the hot air around. Last summer, another TM brought a thermometer and was hiding it in different parts of the store. It was reading in the 80s when SFT insisted it was set at 72. o_O She hasn't brought hers in this year. I might bring one of my own in and note the temperatures myself.
The two stores nearest to mine are actually quite chilly inside (one has the grocery expansion but the other does not), so I don't know why they can't at least meet us halfway.

So... someone mentioned "hotline"... do you mean the integrity hotline? Would that be the best place to file a complaint about this?

Last edited:
But the SFT or PMT or whatever you call it that we have just walks around the store looking for things to gripe at other people about. He's also an asshole.
Shit! Are you at MY store???

Electronics is ridiculously hot even when the entire store is cooler. I'll be dead before my ETL gives us the fan I keep asking for

Front end is the hottest part of my store (except for Receiving), and it's especially bad at Guest Service.

Complained to my closing lead about the heat and he requisitioned a small fan for me but said there was nothing he could do about the temperature and A/C (or lack thereof)

I've been melting for weeks. I finally bought a small battery operated fan that hangs on a cord around my neck. So much better today.

Reactions: L4D
They're supposed to do temp checks around the store when we complain it's too hot. But the SFT or PMT or whatever you call it that we have just walks around the store looking for things to gripe at other people about. He's also an asshole.
I think we do have a/c and they're just refusing to do anything about it. The offices are always cold and right when you walk in, you can feel a wave of cool air. Around the rest of the store, nothing. You hear fans going, but I think they're just blowing the hot air around. Last summer, another TM brought a thermometer and was hiding it in different parts of the store. It was reading in the 80s when SFT insisted it was set at 72. o_O She hasn't brought hers in this year. I might bring one of my own in and note the temperatures myself.
The two stores nearest to mine are actually quite chilly inside (one has the grocery expansion but the other does not), so I don't know why they can't at least meet us halfway.

So... someone mentioned "hotline"... do you mean the integrity hotline? Would that be the best place to file a complaint about this?

That's kind of our job....
And what do you consider a temp check?
The PMT checks on WebCtrl if the AC is discharging correctly and thats in, we dont control the set points at all, or when the AC turns on.

Yall non PMTs say dumb shit like "its too hot", "where specifically?".... "the whole store", like thats literally impossible unless your PMT hasnt checked their WebCtrl once and every unit is down.
But yall act like one unit runs a whole store.

I've looked into whether or not there are laws about temperature control...long story short the law is very vague about keeping work places a reasonable temperature but they do not define any sort of number. I think it would take something pretty extreme to get OSHA or some other gov. agency to take action...not that anyone was asking for that here but just from my research

I actually bought an athletic tech type red shirt to wear because i've been so hot lately in my store even in regular t-shirts. Hopefully it helps...I also have tech type khaki pants somewhere if I can squeeze into them...

When I was at Spot... the little HVAC Thermostats/Gauges, were located randomly on the race track and mounted on the beams. If someone placed a wet napkin or towel that was really warm, suddenly the gauges would get an improper reading and A/C would start to trickle on.

I wonder if it still works....

Electronics is ridiculously hot even when the entire store is cooler. I'll be dead before my ETL gives us the fan I keep asking for
I'd fight someone if I didn't have a fan. I've had one at least 7 years in electronics. Just had to retire one yesterday that I've had the majority of that time because it wasn't blowing as hard as it use to.

It's worth mentioning that if the PMBP doesn't pick up the phone, there is nothing a PMT can do to adjust the AC units' temp output.

I did my part, stop blaming me dammit

Beast and phibot, I'm not blaming him as a PMT. I'm saying he probably just didn't do it because, quoting my earlier post, he's an asshole. The guy is a huge dick to TMs consistently and he has obnoxious behaviors. So I don't exactly have much confidence in this one. I wouldn't have said that about the one we had before him.

Beast and phibot, I'm not blaming him as a PMT. I'm saying he probably just didn't do it because, quoting my earlier post, he's an asshole. The guy is a huge dick to TMs consistently and he has obnoxious behaviors. So I don't exactly have much confidence in this one. I wouldn't have said that about the one we had before him.

Understood our last one was an asshole but he was more the smart-ass asshole, sloppy but he would get his hands dirty. If the store was baking he would trip units to boost the AC.. The current one looks at us like a deer in the headlights when we mention some of the hacks that we know to get shit done..

It's been bad for a couple of previous summers. But summer hasn't even started and already, the lack of air conditioning in our store is making me and some other team members ill. They've even had heat going on mornings when the forecast is supposed to be a high of 80 Fahrenheit.
I've been nauseated at work and at home for about a week, severely enough that I'm going to need to ask my doctor for some prescription meds for it when I see him on Monday. Another TM has also been getting nauseated along with some other stomach-related problems from it; same thing happened to them last summer and they are thinking about quitting because they can't go through that again. Yet another has been getting headaches as well as stomach issues which are causing them to take frequent bathroom breaks. We are allowed water bottles with us, but simply staying hydrated isn't enough.
Guests have been complaining too, not that it seems to have done any good.
Who do we have to contact to file complaints about this? Our leads are tired of hearing about it so they are of no help.
I never heard anyone getting sick from the temps. I'd rather have it warm than cold!

What you should do: Call off and use sick days. Or tell them you want to get trained in pfresh.

A lot of us behind Starbucks last year were constantly sick. Between running on a skeleton crew so we were already moving very fast, to the hot oven to every negative thing under the sun...it got bad. I was nauseated a lot of the time and walked away a few times to stop myself from throwing up. Eventually my TL got us a small fan to keep behind the counter near the register...which obviously got hid when Steritech came around. You would think if enough people complained, it would get fixed but nope.

Back when we were an O/N store, it was always hot. Especially in the backroom. Throwing the truck was a real treat.

I feel bad for our flow team. They have one fan that they drag into the truck, but that isn't much help. I came in the other day and they had the one dock door open which helped a little, but not a lot. I'm surprised no one has passed out yet when throwing the truck.

YoNanas, we don't have PFresh. Our new STL has ordered some produce that gets kept at the front lanes, but it's so warm in the store that it doesn't last long. You'd think that would give him a clue. Apparently not.

I do flow and audit. It's still too warm just walking around doing audit, but doing truck really makes it hell for me.

I feel bad for our flow team. They have one fan that they drag into the truck, but that isn't much help. I came in the other day and they had the one dock door open which helped a little, but not a lot. I'm surprised no one has passed out yet when throwing the truck.

Our last STL pulled out all the fans they didn't look professional.. So last summer people did pass out, no one cared.

Understood our last one was an asshole but he was more the smart-ass asshole, sloppy but he would get his hands dirty. If the store was baking he would trip units to boost the AC.. The current one looks at us like a deer in the headlights when we mention some of the hacks that we know to get shit done..

Sorry, but those hacks can also get us in trouble, im not risking getting in trouble because Target dont wanna lower set points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back