Archived Hello. I'm new here and perhaps new to Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear that. Hard to say what they're issue was but I'm sure we'd have taken you.

Yeah, I was afraid that was gonna come. Well, I wish you luck on your quest for a job. And like we've all said in here, you seemed over qualified for that position anyhow..

No kidding. At my store, I'd have gotten you cross-trained in every area in the front & they would've yanked you to the floor because you were "too good" for the front lanes.
I hope you aim higher in your quest. Like I said before, Target used to be a company I was proud to work for. Now, it's just a job.
Best of luck.

Thanks everyone and yeah, I am over qualified for what I applied for, but I discussed that with the first ETL who interviewed me.

She asked me about what kind of job I was looking for. I told her I’d applied for a cashier/customer service position, but I can do a lot more than that.

Her reply was, “yes, I can see that.”

We then talked about their need for good team leaders, team members with open availability, flow team, electronics, which I know inside out, etc.

She seemed really interested in hiring me, but she was an older woman and in the course of the interview, she told me she started out with Target in the early 90s, as a cashier.

The second one to interview me was, I’m willing to bet, typical of some of what I’ve read about here in that she was young and probably a hire straight out of college and straight into a management position.

She had zero interest in anything concrete that I’ve done in the past, my hours of availability, my opinions on the customers come first, or anything else.

She didn’t want to hear about the time I had just been promoted to assistant manager when the manager’s brother died, she took time off to go out of state for the funeral, the store landed in my lap and I had to run the store, figuring things out as I went along.

Or the time we were so short of help that I worked 10 hour shifts, seven days a week for over a month.

No, her only interest was to run down the scripted Target interview booklet.

In all honesty, I don’t do well in the type of interview they do.

I can sit down with somebody, talk, joke around a bit, answer things like, tell me what kind of work you’ve done before, what do you like to do for fun, why do you want to work here, etc.

But, I don’t at all do well with the scripted, behavioral questions, such as, tell me about a time you worked together with someone else to accomplish a goal, or tell me about a time you had a problem with a team member and how did you deal with it.

All in all, I doubt Target and I would have been a very good fit regardless.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer me advice.

I would add that I'm 36 and this is only the second time in my life that I've gotten as far as the interview stage and then been turned down and so yeah, it's a bit of a bummer.

That is ridiculous they didn't hire you. Sounds like the second person who interviewed you was just looking at the present situation of what you were applying for and not looking at potential.

As far as the "slept in" look, that is not the norm. Not for me anyway, though I have seen one or two TM's in other stores in my area that dress that way. I wear a red polo tucked in, khaki pants, and black leather shoes.

Sad to say it is easier to get a job if you already have one in this effed up world.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/02/unemployment-discrimination.html

Companies are purposefully not hiring people who are unemployed.
They seem to feel that people who are currently employed are sufficiently cowered to the system of having to do the work of three or four people with minimum benefits and that hiring someone who might remember the old days (you know a couple of presidents ago) isn't worth the trouble.

Eh...

That's not really anything new and I don't really see it as being a political, let alone civil rights issue.

I don't much like Obama, I liked .W even less and the last President I had any respect for was Reagan.

That said, the President has only limited control over the economy and the whole, it's easier to find a job when you already have a job thing is how it's always been.

Well, I don't know about always, but certainly in my lifetime.

I remember my dad telling me that back in the early 90s.

Sorry the job didn't pan out for you, Thunder. But from your posts it sounded like that was the way it was headed. Best of luck to you in your job search. Target's loss is certainly another company's gain. Thanks for stopping by & visiting us. You're always welcome even if you're not employed by Target. Some members have left & still stop by to "chat" with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back