Help! I’m new to target and was poorly trained!

Hello! So I’m new to Target and I just finished my very limited training days. I trained mostly in style and had 4 hours of fufillment training. However, I have a 8 hour fufillment shift tomorrow and I have NO CLUE what I’m doing. I have only worked once with the Mydevice. Can someone walk me through what to do during a fufillment shift and how to do it please? I had a really bad trainer. Thank you for your time!

0602634C-4D71-4CC6-BBF9-1ECE6C973164.jpeg

Training at Spot can be notoriously bad. When you go to work tomorrow they may assign you to a veteran fulfillment TM for a while to learn the ropes. If not, ask questions, and like Hardlinesmaster says above, ask for more training. It’s better to ask questions than guess and get it wrong. Good luck!

Step 1: Breathe
Step 2: Wear comfortable shoes
Step 3: Show up on time

There are several different things you could be asked to do working in fulfillment. Ask the leaders on duty what they need you to do and go from there. Ask lots of questions. It's a relatively down time of year, so don't worry too much and take your time to learn what needs to be done before we get smashed. Your trainer may have sucked, but other fulfillment TMs will be willing to help you. If you have specific questions after your shift, please visit our Flexible Fulfillment mega thread here. Someone will help you in there.

And, welcome to the best team at Target.

I have worked for Target for years as part time. There are still some things I don’t know how to do since I was not trained for that particular task. I try my best and use my common sense to survive. I got annoyed one time when our VM told me that I did this incorrectly and should have done this or that (putting up signs in Style because we have to make it look brand ready etc.Basically I got thrown into a shift putting up sale signs and been doing it for months then VM all of a sudden wants to correct me) . And I am honest enough to let them know that I did not get the training to do it correctly and willing to learn how to do it properly going forward. But of course, they just don’t have time....And there is another scenario when our VM asked me if I knew how to print a certain label since I should know how to do it. I told her I did not know how to do it, but if she can show me how to do it I would like to learn. And to my surprise, VM tells me she doesn’t know how to do it and scrambles around looking into her binder on how to do it. Hmmm it’s like you expect me to know how to do it, but you don’t even know how to do it. She is very lucky that I did not question her and made fun of her because I hate hearing the words “you should already know how to do this since you have been here for awhile”

Last edited:
Do not be afraid to ask questions. You won't look stupid and almost every TM who's been there for any length of time will be happy to help. If they're not, ignore that TM and find someone else more helpful. I can think of one TM at my store who's kind of a dimwit even within her own area, but that's not the norm. I always appreciate SFS TMs asking questions in my area - shows me they're trying to be conscientious about doing a good job.
Ask for feedback from your TL and other SFS TMs, especially those who prep and pack. I've already started hearing reminders come over the walkie for the newbies about how to keep orders sorted on the cart, etc.

I have worked for Target for years as part time. There are still some things I don’t know how to do since I was not trained for that particular task. I try my best and use my common sense to survive. I got annoyed one time when our VM told me that I did this incorrectly and should have done this or that (putting up signs in Style because we have to make it look brand ready etc.Basically I got thrown into a shift putting up sale signs and been doing it for months then VM all of a sudden wants to correct me) . And I am honest enough to let them know that I did not get the training to do it correctly and willing to learn how to do it properly going forward. But of course, they just don’t have time....And there is another scenario when our VM asked me if I knew how to print a certain label since I should know how to do it. I told her I did not know how to do it, but if she can show me how to do it I would like to learn. And to my surprise, VM tells me she doesn’t know how to do it and scrambles around looking into her binder on how to do it. Hmmm it’s like you expect me to know how to do it, but you don’t even know how to do it. She is very lucky that I did not question her and made fun of her because I hate hearing the words “you should already know how to do this since you have been here for awhile”
The transition to DBOs in my store was ridiculous. I had to go to the VM and ask her to show me how to do price changes, and then I just started doing them in my department because no one else was doing them - but nobody actually told me to do them, I took the initiative because I had heard about the DBO situation from this very site. Zero guidance from leadership. No exaggeration - I''ve learned everything about Modernization and DBOs from TBR. Barely one word from anyone in my store.

The transition to DBOs in my store was ridiculous. I had to go to the VM and ask her to show me how to do price changes, and then I just started doing them in my department because no one else was doing them - but nobody actually told me to do them, I took the initiative because I had heard about the DBO situation from this very site. Zero guidance from leadership. No exaggeration - I''ve learned everything about Modernization and DBOs from TBR. Barely one word from anyone in my store.

So true! I learned “Modernization” from this forum. It was really frustrating because people were not being fully told what is happening. You get the gist that people will have their own department. They tell you what you are expected to do and know. But they didnt really have the time to fully train you. You will get the “training” when they need you to do it because it’s been overdue. It was literally a crash course trying to learn as much as you can. And lately we did that remerchandising training on workday. You don’t have much time to fully read and comprehend everything especially when you have a four hour shift. And I am one of those people who are more visual and need to see it for myself rather than just reading, learning target lingos and looking at pictures. But it is what it is.

Back