Archived Help! My APBP won't let me promote internally to another workcenter and says I must transfer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! Here's a bit of my story:

I love Target and have for the past 2 years I've been working here. I began as a seasonal HL TM and my original store loved me. After the season passed, they kept me on as a regular HL TM. I remained there just over a year and was referred by my APTL to the store I am at now to work for AP as a TPS. So, here I am, 8 months into my role as a TPS. I drive results, and have doing very well at both store and district goals. I like AP but don't have a desire to do APS/AP ETL.

I stated from the beginning to many leaders at my current store and original store that I wished to be a part of leadership - and to develop into an ETL role. I just graduated with my bachelors in business last month, and a couple of weeks ago, my AP ETL asked if I still wanted to take the path to ETL.

My AP ETL is great - he's helped me out in many ways and is a confidant in both my personal and pofessional life. He's helped to guide me and shape me into a confident TM. There are other ETLs I have had professional development with and I overall feel like I can help this store get to where it needs to be and promote the modernization methods corporate demands for the future.

As stated, a few weeks ago, my AP ETL asked if I still wished to pursue promotion. He stated that the STL "really likes" me and my name and another TM were being talked about at luncheons and weekly leadership meetings all the time. Apparently, my current store wants to promote me, and I needed to let him know my areas of interest.

Then this week, our APBP tells him I can't promote within the store. She won't allow it. But why?! Our store is going through remodel and ALL of our cameras are getting moved in about 2 months. Plenty of time to find a place for me in the store, get trained, and come back to a blind knowledge of camera placement.

And to top it all off, we currently have an Electronics TM who used to be a TPS for this store. He wasn't forced to transfer to get out of his workcenter. He knew where the cameras were when he was placed in an AN AREA WITH SOME OF THE HIGHEST SHORTAGE. So why do I have to transfer to a different store just to promote?!

TL;DR: My APBP won't let me promote within my own store into a different workcenter, but another TPS was allowed to move to Electronics at the same store just over a year ago. Every camera will change position over the next few months so my current knowledge of layout won't matter soon anyways.

Last edited:
I have no idea.
There just isn't enough information about the backroom politics to hazard a guess.
And ultimately any guesses we make probably won't help you much.

The important question is for you.
How important is staying at this store as compared to moving up?
I understand you love where you work and it doesn't seem fair that other people have been able to stay but skip all that.
Do you want to become an ETL?
Is that what you want?

If it is, then don't make what store you are in the hill you die on.

To be fair that’s pretty standard. My store earns an extra TPS every Q4 and it can’t be a regular TM because they don’t want him/her to go back to being a normal TM with AP knowledge. Being in leadership you won’t do too well ignore your non-relocatable anyway so might as well make the jump now. If you don’t want to relocate you will get stuck in your position

Commiecorvus and gsa4lyfe:

I agree with both of you. I've asked myself many of those questions over the past few days and realize I must do what gets me to my goal.

The problem is, my STL already wants to promote me here. They're ready. I'm ready. My AP ETL even told me he's going to do what he can to get me to one of the next 2 closest stores (we're in a big city, but my store is in the corner outskirts of town, and there's only 2 other stores within 30 minutes of where I even live.)

My issue is that even my AP ETL says that those two stores aren't even looking to promote or hire anyone. They're set. And something is available here and now for me at my current store.

I guess I just feel like my APBP is giving me the short end of the stick and preventing me from getting a step closer to where I want to be - which happens to be at a store I currently am at. Like, is there even a rule like that in Assets Protection? Because none of my AP colleagues have heard this "rule" before, as it clearly hasn't been applied to this other TM at my store.

At the very least, it isn't explicitly stated in the Handbook.

In the chain of commands the STL is higher than APBP in regards to his/her store. If they really wanted you in that role they could. APBP can present hesitations to the STL but ultimately has no final say in the decision. My guess is there’s something else there.

Okay, I have a little clearer picture of your situation but it still doesn't help with what's going on at the store.
You aren't upset about being transferred to another store so much as the possibility that there won't be spots at any of the local stores.
You might want to call around and check for yourself.

It sounds like you have the AP ETL in your corner and they will have to go to bat for you with the STL.
It is going to be the only way to win this one.

Thank you, gsa4lyfe and commiecorvus.

I'll speak with my AP ETL again tomorrow on this matter. I think he's going to speak with the APBP this week anyways and again with our STL - since getting the STL involved with the APBP hash may be my best bet.

Thanks again!

Official Target policy is you can’t stay in the same store unless an exception is granted. While STL’s are higher in rank then a APBP they need their and the HRBP’s signoff. What’s your relationship with the APBP? If you don’t really have one they won’t sign you off.

Don’t worry there will be plenty of leadership opportunities post the new ops model rollout in May. But I would be aware of the amount of knowledge. What is your knowledge of logistics processes? BRLA? Do you know how to set a POG? Plus you will be to learn leadership functions like coaching ect. This is the hardest time for any leader to start as a TL/ETL/STL. Not saying it can’t be done but be prepared for a very rough road.

I have no idea.
There just isn't enough information about the backroom politics to hazard a guess.
And ultimately any guesses we make probably won't help you much.

The important question is for you.
How important is staying at this store as compared to moving up?
I understand you love where you work and it doesn't seem fair that other people have been able to stay but skip all that.
Do you want to become an ETL?
Is that what you want?

If it is, then don't make what store you are in the hill you die on.

Official Target policy is you can’t stay in the same store unless an exception is granted. While STL’s are higher in rank then a APBP they need their and the HRBP’s signoff. What’s your relationship with the APBP? If you don’t really have one they won’t sign you off.

Don’t worry there will be plenty of leadership opportunities post the new ops model rollout in May. But I would be aware of the amount of knowledge. What is your knowledge of logistics processes? BRLA? Do you know how to set a POG? Plus you will be to learn leadership functions like coaching ect. This is the hardest time for any leader to start as a TL/ETL/STL. Not saying it can’t be done but be prepared for a very rough road.
I understand how you feel. But sometimes it’s not a bad thing to promote out of store. I left my first store for a promotion, it hurt emotionally and I took it hard because of my time there. But I moved on and still with the company. Target is amazing! Follow your promotion dream.

If this is an actual policy there have been 4 exceptions granted at my store in the past 6 years 🤷🏻‍♂️

If this is an actual policy there have been 4 exceptions granted at my store in the past 6 years 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it used to be a policy that TM's couldn't promote into the same store because it would be easy for them to foster favoritism toward past peers. Not to mention with some of the things I have seen between TM's the amount of retaliation issues that could arise could be a problem.

I do tend to agree though that AP it's probably rather difficult to promote within the same store strictly because of a lot of the security aspects that go with that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back