Archived Help! panicked about cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i was a fairly late seasonal hire, i came in around the first week of december. I've been mainly in hardlines and softlines, depending on the day and once in awhile go up for backup. To be honest i dont like going up because i get scared to death of using the register because ill mess up! I know it may be dumb but i get huge butterflies even thinking of being on register. Now in a few days im scheduled to be a cashier and im panicking! Im rambling here but i hope someone can answer these next few questions...

What do i do when i first get there, how do i know where to go?

What do i do if an item has no barcode to scan or dpci? are there special buttons on the computer for that?

What if i run out of bags? What items do you use the wrapping paper for?

How do you know what items to bag together?

Do i just go on my break whenever i feel like it or is there a sheet for cashiers too that says their break times?

When i do get my break do i have to notify the lod? (i know i dont usually hear cashiers on the walkie so im curious)

How do you set someone up with a red card?

What do i do if the bin where you put the items people dont want gets full? do i call a gstl?

When my shift is over do i tell someone or will the gstl tell me? do i have to clean my register?

Oh and sometimes when im on backup i see the belt isnt moving things up is there a button or something to turn it on?

Again, im REALLY sorry if this is a lot i dont want to be a pain but you have no idea how nervous i am. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

1. Check in with the GSTL/GSA
2. This varies by store. Ask guest if they remember the price. And use that if it sounds reasonable. If not ask GSTL and they'll assist. Ask store for more specific instruction.
3. Use common sense. Don't put chemicals and food together. Don't put frozen food/non frozen food together etc.
4.front end has scheduled breaks. GSTL/GSA will give you these.
5. Tell the GSTL/GSA at your time(s)
6.scan the bar code on the packet. Hit total to see prompts. Credit card requires ID. DEBIT requires ID and check.
7. Also varies by store. Some have CA take care of it. Others you empty it when slow/end of shift.
8. Turn off your light 5 minutes before and wipe the belt down. Check with GSTL one last time.
9. Yes. It should be right below the belt just to the right of the scanner.

Tips. Don't panic.
Accuracy over speed.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. They're thereto help.
Go in with confidence. You'll feel better!
Have fun with it. I find a light joke or commenting on a familiar item are great ways to vibe.

I'm sure so done will post some more for you! Welcome to the break room and best of luck!!!

Edit: here's our cashier guide:http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/72-Cashier
Note that what's listed in the guide may very by store but it still serves as an excellent tool for learning really quick :)

Last edited:
When you first get there go up to the GSA/GSTL & ask them what register to get on since your new they may have you shadow someone or be on a register towards the back where its slower. If the item doesn't have a barcode you can use 243-04-9999 & then key the price if you know it but if not cut on your top light & let the GSA/GSTL know and they'll get a dpci/price. If you run out of bbags they'll be spare ones at the bottom of your register if not again notify your GSA/GSTL & the paper bags are for glass or dishes. As for as breaks/lunches concerned your GSA/GSTL will let you know when to go. Yes when you leave get with your GSTL, & there is a button underneath the register that controls it. Don't be nervous I normally bag like items together such as; cosmetics, dry grocery, frozen grocery, meats, fruits, vegetables, drinks, bread, etc

1. Ask your GSTL or LOD what lane you are on.
2. you will turn lane light on and have a gsa/gstl call for a price check (most items have an additional area with the dpci on them, for example clothing will have it on the tag)
3. There is usually another box of bags under your large bags. if not turn lane light on. wrap glass item and other scratch-able items
4. can pretty much bag anything together cept chemicals and food. try to bag similar department items together.
5. there is usaually a sheet that says break time, but GSTL are fairly decent at getting you on break on time.
6. Cashiers dont have walkies so no, but you cant just walk off to break, your gstl/gsa will let you know when to go
7. scan the brochure, press total and follow prompt, have customer have ID ready and a blank check(if debit card)
8. several times throughout the shift when things die down a bit a cashier will take a cart and fill it with the go-backs. If yours gets full and its slow get a cart and go collect, if busy throw some in hanger bin.
9. GSTL should let you know to turn off lane light about <5 mins before shift ends if not, let a GSA or GSTL know its about to for you to go. and yes clean up floor a bit and keep it tidy for the next cashier
10. there is a switch to turn on/off, also if its on and not moving then put your finger in front of laser and then remove finger it will move

Extra tips, always reveiw coupons, atm its just talk about redcards if prompted or asked about, dont wait for customers find items to clean up or collect hangers/go-backs if slow, dont watch the time and it will go by alot quicker. Good luck and have fun with it or else you will continue to dread it

1) The GSTL/GSA will tell you where to go.

2) As said, it does vary by store, but chances are, you'll have to get a DPCI. There is an option for No Barcode, but I'm pretty sure it isn't "best practice" to use that. I only use that if I know the item is clearance and there's no more left. To get the DPCI, turn your light on (the blinking light) to signal for assistance. The GSTL/GSA will come over and help.

3) GSTL/GSA will help. They'll bring some over. If it takes them a while to get to you, or if they're busy, just take some from another register.

4) Common sense. When it comes to food, put breakable things in bags with soft things. For example, eggs and bread are safe to be bagged together. Eggs on bottom, bread on top. I like to tell the guest which bag has the eggs in it, just so they know to be careful with that one. Ask if they want the milk or sodas bagged.

5) Depends. Typically your GSTL/GSA will have a break schedule for you to follow. If it's slow, they might let you go on break early. I wish at my store the GSTLs would actually enforce the break schedules. Our cashiers go on break whenever they want. So it gets to be 9PM and we get backup calls because there's only one lane open :/

6) Nah, just tell your GSTL/GSA.

7) Yeah there's a little informational book. Scan the barcode on that, follow instructions.

8) Depends on the store. For my store, if we're slow, they'll have a cashier do it. Sometimes the CA volunteers to do it. The GSTL/GSA might do it. It all depends.

9) Tell your GSTL/GSA that your shift is over. You can wipe down your lane, but people tend to clean that off when they come in anyways. At least at my store.

10) Errybody answered this.

My advice:
  • Tape a piece of paper over the time on the screen. Trust me, not seeing that makes time fly.
  • Learn to read quickly for quick coupon review.
  • Even if some items, such as plates, are the same size, but different designs, please, please, please, you'll save the sales floor team a lot of annoyance by making sure you scan each different design. It's annoying, but it helps keeps the count of how much we have of each accurate.
  • Know the difference of when to press the backup button and when to just call someone over to your lane.
  • Accuracy over speed for sure. Sure your GSTL/GSA might not agree and say that priority is to get the guests checked out ASAP, but accuracy is much more important in the long run.
  • You CAN actually do anything from guest services on your register. I would personally recommend asking your GSTL/GSA how you can apply a missed coupon or how to print a gift receipt if the guest forgot to ask for one. It's actually really helpful and saves the guest from having to go to guest services.
  • If a guest with a purse is buying gum or a small candy bar, in addition to other items, ask if they want it bagged or in their purse. I dunno, in my experience, they seem to like when I ask them that.

You'll be fine. If it's slow, you can just make sure that the area near your register is clean. For example, if your register has things hanging, like the iTunes cards, pull them forward on the hanging hook. If your register has things on the end, like cereal or Valentine's items, pull them forward to cover the diamonds. The GSTL/GSA will like that you're taking initiative to make the front lanes look nice. If it's dirty, clean the belt. Or clean the screen of the card scanner. Or clean the screen of the register. Hell, you can even clean the keyboard keys. Personally if I ever had a cashier shift I would totally do this because some of the people that work at my store do not look like they follow proper hygiene.

Talk with the other cashiers, see what they do when it's slow to pass the time.

When I had cashier shifts in the beginning, I would always make sure the drawer where you put gift cards, coupons, and other supplies was organized.

A lot of it is common sense.

What do i do when i first get there, how do i know where to go?
- If you are being scheduled as a regular cashier. Depending on your store operations, you may have to check in with the GSTL/GSA and the cashier breakdown (lane assignment/breaks schedule). GSTL/GSA will tell you when to go on breaks.

What do i do if an item has no barcode to scan or dpci? are there special buttons on the computer for that?
- Most clothes/towels/blankets will have a tag on the inside with the DPCI number.
- It was customary to just override the DPCI or figure out just the dept#, but its no longer used. You have to have a DPCI. You should call the GSTL/GSA to do a item look up or call the salesfloor.

What if i run out of bags? What items do you use the wrapping paper for?
- If you run out of bags, grab bags from a nearby lane or call the GSTL/GSA to bring you a stack. Wrapping paper?? If you mean the brown paper, you use that on anything fragile/breakable items (glass and such). Don't wait till you run out.

How do you know what items to bag together?
-Bag you frozens/cold items together. Bag you food items together. Do not mix chemicals with food in the same bag. Don't overload the guest or bag.

Do i just go on my break whenever i feel like it or is there a sheet for cashiers too that says their break times?
- GSTL/GSA should tell you when to go. They need to make sure there is enough coverage before you can go. So you might have to wait 15-30mins until you are told to go.

When i do get my break do i have to notify the lod? (i know i dont usually hear cashiers on the walkie so im curious)
- No. Cashiers don't usually have walkies. The GSTL/GSA will notify you when to go.

How do you set someone up with a red card?
- I am not sure of current red card solicitation. Check with your GSTL/GSA.

What do i do if the bin where you put the items people dont want gets full? do i call a gstl?
-Any time there is not a rush a people at your lane, you walk and zone the lanes/one spot/nearby softlines. Empty your hanger bin and take Reshop to Guest Service.

When my shift is over do i tell someone or will the gstl tell me? do i have to clean my register?
- When you are getting to the end of your shift, your GSTL/GSA/another cashier will either help block your lane, leave once another cashier takes over, or leave once its calm enough where the remaining cashiers can handle. But you want to try to leave right at scheduled time. If its super busy, you may need to check with the GSTL/GSA. Just make sure you hangers are dumped and reshop taken to Guest service. If you belt is nasty, clean it during your shift.

Closing the register is only done by the GSTL/GSA/authorized cashiers.

Oh and sometimes when im on backup i see the belt isnt moving things up is there a button or something to turn it on?
- There is usually a switch on the belt on the cashier well side. Other than that, wave your hand over the eye.

Tip: Ask for a refresher on cashier training if you are not sure of things. And make sure you are up-to-date on your cashier training/tests.

Apparently a lot of things are done differently at your stores, so here's my take based on the experiences at mine.

1) What do i do when i first get there, how do i know where to go?
If you are scheduled as cashier/guest service/food ave, check in with the GSTL or GSA. They're the person with the walkie and PDA. If you can't find them ask another casheir who it is. They will give you any updates about what to focus on, talk about conversion (under normal circumstances, of course) and tell you where to go.

2) What do i do if an item has no barcode to scan or dpci? are there special buttons on the computer for that?
If the item is a piece of clothing, it will usually have a DPCI in the left seam or near the tag. In any other case, call over the GSTL/GSA using the blue button that says Help. It will give you a bunch of problems to choose from (in this case it would be K5 Price -> K1 No barcode or similar). If it is a problem that is more general and not covered by the other buttons, hit K7 (Call GSTL) and then K1 (Guest waiting). BE WARNED that this system, like most things at Target, tends to go down easily. You may need to flash your light or have someone go get them.

3) What if i run out of bags? What items do you use the wrapping paper for?
I think everyone else answered the bag question. As far as wrapping paper, that's used for glass/breakable items. Unfortunately, we often run out quickly.

4, 5 & 6) How do you know what items to bag together?
Answered

7) How do you set someone up with a red card?
With the current situation, I guess we're only supposed to do it when prompted or asked by a guest. If they are interested, make sure you are on the screen BEFORE the total ("How are you paying?") screen. In your drawer, there should be a pamphlet that says "Important RedCard Agreements..." Scan the barcode at the top, press total and then choose K1 if the guest wants the credit one or K3 for debit. Most of the work will be on the guest's end. The POS will guide you through the rest of the process.

8&9) vary store by store honestly. My best advice is to ask your GSTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back