Archived Help please! How do I get more conversions/redcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Hi! This site seems really awesome. :D There's so many helpful threads! Anyway, I just started working as a cashier and I'm having trouble getting people to sign up for redcards. I'm lucky if I get 1 per shift. I usually ask "would you like to sign up for a Target redcard and save 5%"? Most guests shut me down real quick and wont even give me a chance to explain the debit card, or interrupt me while I'm trying to. What conversation starters do you use? Do you have any tips? Or does it not really matter how I ask and just depends on the guest?

here's a couple of ways that i try:
start the conversation out early. Don't wait until they want to pay. By that time they are ready to go!
Ask them if they want to know how to save 5% on every transaction.
Ask them if they would like to save 5% by using a FREE target debit card. Explain that it doesn't do a credit check and comes straight out of their existing account. Usually when someone tells me no right away i will go ahead and say "just so you know we have a free debit card and it comes straight out of your checking out, there is no fees, and you still save the 5%" most of the time they still say no but i've gotten several of them just by saying this after they've already said no.
When the get our their check book i start telling them about our debit card.
Say "Have you heard about our debit card??"

Obviously I really push the debit card! I'm a gstl so i hardly ever cashier but when i did i would get 3-4 every 8 hr shift. It really is about luck and just making sure you are asking!

Welcome to TBR and Target!

REDcard's are the most stressful part about being a cashier. If you are getting about 1/shift, that is not bad.

Most of it is about luck- I went 1 and a half weeks without a single redcard and then got 10 in 2 shifts! Just try your best, offer it often.

I have also found out that if you make eye contact with the guest when offering and try to speak with emotion, you will find a bit more success.

I'm sure some people on her could help you a bit more. I started out as a cashier and my conversion score was okay, but not amazing. Luckily, I mainly do hardlines and guest service now :D

Welcome to The Break Room! Conversions are tough, but once you figure out what works for you, stick with it. Also, keep in mind that you've probably gotten more RedCards since you started than I've gotten all year, and I've been cashing for most of that time. Getting one per shift is not bad at all.

First of all, Hi! This site seems really awesome. :D There's so many helpful threads! Anyway, I just started working as a cashier and I'm having trouble getting people to sign up for redcards. I'm lucky if I get 1 per shift. I usually ask "would you like to sign up for a Target redcard and save 5%"? Most guests shut me down real quick and wont even give me a chance to explain the debit card, or interrupt me while I'm trying to. What conversation starters do you use? Do you have any tips? Or does it not really matter how I ask and just depends on the guest?

don't ask that way... that is what the prompt says and never works!

Some of my favorite Intros I like are, "You have a Redcard don't you? Oh I thought you did!" or "You know you don't have to pay full price every time you are here right?" or just a generic "You will be saving 5% today right?"... Basically its your intro asking them if they will be or if they know they can save 5%... If they say no then you just explain we "have a debit card that works with any checking account they have but comes with a discount"... and see where it goes from there!

I was shopping at my local Supertarget and the cashier told my that they had been told,no redcard no hours,while I was checking out the gsa came over and asked her if she had a card yet,upon hearing that she did not,she was told she better get one,it was not a happy cashier I left at the register.

This is the main reason that I am so glad I'm not cashiering anymore (well, except for backup). After doing it for 6 years I've finally been permenantly moved to the salesfloor.
I just got so sick of the push for red cards. And it's gotten so much worse lately.

A couple of our cashiers refer to them as "reward cards" that you use like a debit card. Not sure if that gets them any more red cards, but it does get the attention of the guest.

A couple of our cashiers refer to them as "reward cards" that you use like a debit card. Not sure if that gets them any more red cards, but it does get the attention of the guest.

Referring to it as a "reward card" can be misleading. It's not a card you show to save money and/or earn points (like the Shoppers' Club Card at Wegman's), but an actual payment card.

Referring to it as a "reward card" can be misleading. It's not a card you show to save money and/or earn points (like the Shoppers' Club Card at Wegman's), but an actual payment card.

Yes. I already have people, when I ask if they have a Redcard, start flipping through their keychain cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back