Archived Help with filling out W2 and DE-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my mom is having a meltdown right now, and she said she wouldn't get a tax refund at the beginning of the year because I put a (1) on the W2 form, which I guess means that is a dependent? So I went and re-edited it and put 0 and resubmitted it. Then it took me to the DE-4 form which I have no idea how to fill out. Do I need to fill out the DE-4 and what will happen if I don't? Or how am I supposed to fill it out?

Can someone help me out in layman's terms?

Are you a dependent? If you don't have any dependents of your own, a spouse, or domestic partner, always do Single 0 on your W4 (not W2, that's the wage statement the employer gives you at the beginning of the year) since you don't have any allowances to claim. If you want to have withholdings, specify an amount to be withheld from each paycheck.

I have no idea what a DE-4 is; someone else will have to answer that.

Are you a dependent? If you don't have any dependents of your own, a spouse, or domestic partner, always do Single 0 on your W4 (not W2, that's the wage statement the employer gives you at the beginning of the year) since you don't have any allowances to claim. If you want to have withholdings, specify an amount to be withheld from each paycheck.

I have no idea what a DE-4 is; someone else will have to answer that.

I'm a dependent to my mom. I put a zero on the W4. The DE-4 is the form you fill out after the W4 on Ehr. but i just left it blank.

Basically my mom told me that if I put a 1 on the W4 she wouldn't get a tax return next year. So I changed it to a 0 because I didn't really know what I was doing when i first filled it ou tand resubmitted it, so hopefully that fixed it.

the W-4 has to do with your federal income taxes. The DE-4 is same form, but for the State of California. Your not required to fill out the DE-4, but the state recommends it to prevent potentially owing the state money at the end of the year.

As mentioned above, DE-4 has most things in common with W-4 yet isn't mandatory to file like W-4 is. Unlike forms like W2 form are same for all states, that one and many other federal ones have its analogs in California, for a purpose of state tax refunds

Well it’s been 2 and 1/2 years but hopefully they figured it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back