Archived Helping guests find things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was my third day. Towards the end of my shift, I had a guest come through my lane and ask me if we sold road atlases and where they would be. I didn't know. I'm incredibly curious, how should I have handled it after I asked the nearest cashier who also didn't know? I only ask because the other TM (who has been there for 13 years) made no bones about letting me know I was completely wrong about how I handled it. After someone tells me what I should have done, then I'll let you know how it actually went down and what I did.

Last edited:
Target does sell them. Depending on your store, you may have a selection with the magazines at the front. But they are mainly located with the magazines in MMB.

You can look up items by description with the Item Search tool on the PDA. I think you can do the same with the POS at a GS register or any register. Its been a while. It can be a bit of a intensive search.

Or you can walkie over the item the guest is look for.

Yeah...I don't have a walkie or have any clue how to go about looking it up in the register. I know now that we have them, but I didn't then. And the other TM didn't know or care (not really sure which).

Anyway, this is what I did. I hit the button on the register to call over the GSTL. It wouldn't go through and it told me to use the register light. The oh-so-helpful TM explained to me the GSTL was on break. Ok, but this customer still had the question, so I turned on my flashing light thinking that someone was covering for him. The TM comes back, tells me my register flashing light is on (duh?) and turns it off. I looked at her, rather confused, and asked if she had found someone who could answer the question. She said no, but it wasn't my problem, and that if the guest wanted to know if we had them and where, they could go to the guest services counter. What? I was/am so confused.

Luckily, before the transaction was over, whoever was covering for the GSTL came up to verify why my light had been on and if I needed anything. Then they were able to let the guest know where to find the item.

So, if a guests asks me where something is and I don't know, I'm basically supposed to tell them to go stand in line at guest services? Really?

Gtc to you for trying to help the guest. It is suggested to walk around the store or do reshop on the salesfloor. Usually, the gstl carries a phone, so you can call them. Also, get to know who works on the sf, we can help you too. I am sorry for the bad tm. you are smarter than them because you ask questions, willingness to learn, & solve the problem. Spot will notice you now.

Last edited:
With how store payroll is now...YES believe it or not. A lot of stores want guest questions answered off the lanes that way the lanes are freed up for purchases.

I remember on the old POS systems, there is an Item Search button on the keyboard. There maybe a way to get to it in the K functions.

you handled it correctly. The other thing that you could have done since no one was coming to your lane quickly is to call the operator who has a walkie and can assist or call someone to come to your lane. Also, if team members at my store started telling people to go to guest services to find something out and make them wait again for the answer there'd be a huge problem. Guests are our number one priority. GTC to you for handling that perfectly!

First step is to signal your GSA/GSTL via light and help button. If that fails, do you have a phone at your register? You can always call the operator (ask your GSA/GSTL for the 4 digit number) who will help you. In my store sending the guest to GS is cruel and inhumane punishment.

GSA/GSTL's carry walkies but no phones. None of the cashiers have walkies or PDAs, and we can't do an item search on our registers. But there is a phone at all the registers. Funny, when I first started, I didn't know there was a phone until I heard it ringing one day. Answered it and by damn, it was for me! Shocked, I was. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed there was a phone, but wasn't sure what it ws for.

The TM basically told me if the GSTL is on break, I'm on my own, and I shouldn't be bothering him for that sort of thing anyway. Nobody else gave me that impression, but I get the feeling she's just sort of the old crank they keep around because she shows up and does her job for 13 years running.

I'm relieved to know I did the right thing and will keep my questions to her at a minimum.

It may some time for the other tm build a level of trust with you. Could of been a test for you or plain bitterness of her job. Not sure. Keep asking questions to your trainer & gstl. We are here always to ask questions too. Searching threads can help you for answers too.

I noticed there was a phone, but wasn't sure what it ws for.

The TM basically told me if the GSTL is on break, I'm on my own, and I shouldn't be bothering him for that sort of thing anyway. Nobody else gave me that impression, but I get the feeling she's just sort of the old crank they keep around because she shows up and does her job for 13 years running.

I'm relieved to know I did the right thing and will keep my questions to her at a minimum.

I would definitely make use of the phone at your register. Call the operator and ask them to send the GSTL to your lane if you get no response to your blinker! Even if the GSTL is on break there is a designated person watching the lanes. Or if you have a nice operator they may even be able to answer the question for you!

Your 13 year veteran sounds like she needs to retire already! LOL She should NOT have turned off your blinker, that was way overstepping her bounds there. You did the right thing!

You can look up items by description with the Item Search tool on the PDA. I think you can do the same with the POS at a GS register or any register. Its been a while. It can be a bit of a intensive search.

Or you can walkie over the item the guest is look for.

We have Merch Locate on the registers, but it only accepts UPCs and DPCIs - no keyword search like on the PDA. Since I started on the sales floor, I've been trying to grab a walkie every time I cash (because if there's extras, I don't have to bother the GSTL for price checks, etc.), but most cashiers don't have walkies (and they only have PDAs 0.0001% of the time).

If the GSTL can't be found, I would use the lane phone to call the operator. You should be able to reach them by dialing 0. The operator can walkie someone on the sales floor to get an answer for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back