Archived Hi! ETL Starting in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

I've been working in retail for over 6 years at a department store starting as a sales associate and moving into visual merchandising and leadership. I'm graduating from college in May and will be starting as an ETL in June. I am very excited to continue my career in retail because I love it!

I won't find out my placement for Business College until May, which is a pretty nerve-racking. I've seen some of the ETL horror stories and read a lot of the complaints that people have about their ETLs. That is all info I'e taken to heart; I can't wait to get started in June!

Hey everyone!

I've been working in retail for over 6 years at a department store starting as a sales associate and moving into visual merchandising and leadership. I'm graduating from college in May and will be starting as an ETL in June. I am very excited to continue my career in retail because I love it!

I won't find out my placement for Business College until May, which is a pretty nerve-racking. I've seen some of the ETL horror stories and read a lot of the complaints that people have about their ETLs. That is all info I'e taken to heart; I can't wait to get started in June!
Just remember everyone will most likely hate you and try to get you fired. Remember the people also gunning for your job. You have the Team lead with 25 years experience and a college degree...who they wont promote because he started as a team member....

Just remember everyone will most likely hate you and try to get you fired. Remember the people also gunning for your job. You have the Team lead with 25 years experience and a college degree...who they wont promote because he started as a team member....

I am actually leaving my current company because they refuse to promote from within. I understand the frustration and I think it's wrong for company's to only hire externally. I have worked my way up in retail though and I hope that will gain me some respect. Starting as a sales associate making $6.55 an hour and moving into other positions as well as transferring stores. I'm disappointed that my current company eliminated training programs and doesn't see the value in their current employees; leaving is hard. I am happy to be going to Target and getting the opportunity to lead. I understand the perspective of people who are looking to move up and hopefully as an ETL I can help to foster growth for them.

I am actually leaving my current company because they refuse to promote from within. I understand the frustration and I think it's wrong for company's to only hire externally. I have worked my way up in retail though and I hope that will gain me some respect. Starting as a sales associate making $6.55 an hour and moving into other positions as well as transferring stores. I'm disappointed that my current company eliminated training programs and doesn't see the value in their current employees; leaving is hard. I am happy to be going to Target and getting the opportunity to lead. I understand the perspective of people who are looking to move up and hopefully as an ETL I can help to foster growth for them.
Target doesn't hire hourly to ETL. It's possible but very rare. The TL that has been at Target 25 years and is a SR. TL is at my store and was told by the DTL that it would be better for him to quit Target than reapply as a ETL...because he would have a better shot.

If that's the DTL telling him that, then he would never get hired anyway. If the DTL wanted someone to be an ETL, that person would be an ETL as long as they didn't totally bomb an interview. What that really tells me is that the DTL actually doesn't care for that SrTL that much.

I'm in a similar boat and this has not been my experience at all.

If that's the DTL telling him that, then he would never get hired anyway. If the DTL wanted someone to be an ETL, that person would be an ETL as long as they didn't totally bomb an interview. What that really tells me is that the DTL actually doesn't care for that SrTL that much.
I guess maybe because the TL is a suck up or something? He goes to every community service event, is leading the store in red cards. He gets about 25-30 a shift. HIs AAR is like 1000 percent. Crazy...lol

I feel as tho this is very wrong two of my ETLs and I know of one STL who promoted from the bottom up and I know of one TL who's doing mock ETL interviews I think it's always who you know and what you know because all those people mentioned know how to do their job really well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back