Archived Hi Everyone! Question from an outsider!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site is pretty great. I do not currently work for Target. As someone who is interested in working for Target eventually, this site seems very useful.

It seems like it would be useful for current employees too.

Does Target hire Senior Group Leaders externally?

I know that the jobs are posted, but I'm not sure if that is just a formality.

If Target does, indeed, hire SGL's from the outside, what would the ideal candidate's history look like.

What does the SGL job look like from your perspective? Do they work non-stop or is their work-life balance reasonable? I have heard good things about target specifically in regards to work-life balance. That being said, I don't have kids so I wouldn't be something that would be a deal-breaker for me if I find that balance isn't really there.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Target.com go under careers for starters. I am in a store, not dc. Hey greenshirt! He is our dc expert.

Targethopeful:

In my DC, I have not witnessed any New SGL's being hired externally. That's not saying it doesn't happen, Just that the 2 SGL's that I've seen come on board in the last 2 1/2 years have been internal candidates.

Now since I'm stuck on A2, I don't regularly interact with my SGL. This in part is due to the typical working schedule of the SGL, however they do attend certain " all team member" event as well as conduct " chat sessions, where they will seek feedback from the people on the floor in there department. A typical SGL's background includes excelling at managing any department within a modern distribution center, including scheduling, budgeting, ect. A higher education is without question a necessity, I think all but 1 of our SGL's presently have at least a Masters degree, and degree's from service academies are highly valued. As to work-life balance I do not interact enough with mine to know directly, however remember that as a SGL you would be the point of contact for your department so you can expect phone calls at any time of the day and be asked to make a decision on something.

Now some of the GL's here have stated they wouldn't want an SGL billet due to the levels of stress, just a heads up. It's also worth noting that several GL's can be quoted on stating that a SGL slot is usually a step away from corporate, If you ever want that GM or HRM position a few successful years in Minnesota are a requirement.

There are a few other DC staff here, they may be able to give you better answers depending on there level of interaction with there SGL and shift.

Targethopeful:

In my DC, I have not witnessed any New SGL's being hired externally. That's not saying it doesn't happen, Just that the 2 SGL's that I've seen come on board in the last 2 1/2 years have been internal candidates.

Now since I'm stuck on A2, I don't regularly interact with my SGL. This in part is due to the typical working schedule of the SGL, however they do attend certain " all team member" event as well as conduct " chat sessions, where they will seek feedback from the people on the floor in there department. A typical SGL's background includes excelling at managing any department within a modern distribution center, including scheduling, budgeting, ect. A higher education is without question a necessity, I think all but 1 of our SGL's presently have at least a Masters degree, and degree's from service academies are highly valued. As to work-life balance I do not interact enough with mine to know directly, however remember that as a SGL you would be the point of contact for your department so you can expect phone calls at any time of the day and be asked to make a decision on something.

Now some of the GL's here have stated they wouldn't want an SGL billet due to the levels of stress, just a heads up. It's also worth noting that several GL's can be quoted on stating that a SGL slot is usually a step away from corporate, If you ever want that GM or HRM position a few successful years in Minnesota are a requirement.

There are a few other DC staff here, they may be able to give you better answers depending on there level of interaction with there SGL and shift.

Hey thanks a lot!

I actually live in MN so I think that part is covered.

I have about a decade of experience in Ops and I did serve in the military.

Would I be "over-qualified" for a GL spot?

I do not have an MBA yet, so what you said may limit my ability to get a SGL position.

Actually from what you described you sound like a VERY strong candidate for any GL position, and one that may be good to work for. I don't know if they're still active but I'd recommend PM'ing users Enswitzer or RG3, both are recently hired GL's and may be able to give you targeted advise on the application and interview process

Actually from what you described you sound like a VERY strong candidate for any GL position, and one that may be good to work for. I don't know if they're still active but I'd recommend PM'ing users Enswitzer or RG3, both are recently hired GL's and may be able to give you targeted advise on the application and interview process

Alright. So I'm trying to make sure I don't take a path that I regret later. I have some targeted questions, please don't take them as arrogance.

Do most GL's have experience already or is it like the stores where EL's don't need any work experience? I guess what I am getting at is that I don't want to join Target and then find that I am over-qualified for the position. Do not take this as arrogance. As a professional, I am sure you have an idea what I am getting at here. I would hate to join at a level (GL vs. SGL) if I would be better suited to fit in as a SGL. Know what I mean? Companies are always willing to take people with experience and put them in one-down position from their current job. The problem is, HR is always able to do this without being transparent about it...... at least that's my experience. It is always better to get someone (like you) to give their un-edited opinion.

Target does hire both experienced and college fresh GL's. The GL's that I have seen come in with more real word experience seem to do better in the long run as they have already learned quite a few lessons on dealing with people, however they seem to have a harder time learning "Brand". I can say with absolute certainty that on A2 at my DC there is only 1 GL that has had no real life work experience before Target, GL's like that have a demonstrated history of struggling to meet expectations and leaving after a short while. From your prior comments I would recommend applying for the SGL position, but letting Target know that if they feel you would not presently be there ideal fit for the position you would be willing to learn.

Since there is such a wide pay gap between an SGL and a GL, basically fight for that extra 40k or so a year

Target does hire both experienced and college fresh GL's. The GL's that I have seen come in with more real word experience seem to do better in the long run as they have already learned quite a few lessons on dealing with people, however they seem to have a harder time learning "Brand". I can say with absolute certainty that on A2 at my DC there is only 1 GL that has had no real life work experience before Target, GL's like that have a demonstrated history of struggling to meet expectations and leaving after a short while. From your prior comments I would recommend applying for the SGL position, but letting Target know that if they feel you would not presently be there ideal fit for the position you would be willing to learn.

Since there is such a wide pay gap between an SGL and a GL, basically fight for that extra 40k or so a year

That sounds like the course of action I will pursue. Thanks a lot for all your info. I'll be sure to message you if anything else comes up. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back