Archived Hired Back for a 3rd Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked at Target twice before, both times at the same store. First was just after a new store opened and I was there, on flow, for atleast a few years. The second time I was there was also for a few years and back on flow again. The second time I left was shortly after getting married - my wife and I decided to apply for work on a cruise ship. To be honest I'm not sure why I left (can't remember) the first time. Regardless of the specific reason at the time it was obviously voluntarily as I was able to be hired a second time.

The first time I worked there my friend had me meet the TL and he pretty much hired me on the spot - I came recommend by my friend and they were very understaffed. Had to complete the application on the computer first but immediately after he interviewed me and pretty much skipped over all the questions. When can you start, was pretty much the only thing he asked.

The second time someone who I worked with the first time got ahold of me on Facebook and said they were talking about me during their break and was hoping they could get me to come back. Had some free time in my schedule and came in. Again, completed the application, met with one of the TLs who knew me and pretty much breezed through the interview.

Fast forward until today and my schedule has since allowed me to take on a part time job. Figured I might as well try Target again as I've experience their and the sign out front advertises 'now hiring overnight positions.'

From what I've heard there is no one left in the store that knows me from when I was there so the liklihood of me just breezing through another interview isn't likely. Before I get to that though, is there any policy in place that prevents someone from being hired back a third time?

I applied over their website. What's the process like from here? Both other times it was in store and I had job offers about 10 minutes after applying. I didn't enter my phone number but I did enter my email address. Will the communicate via email if/when they want to proceed with me?

Its probably been about 8 years since I was there last and I'm sure a lot has changed. Is the interview process pretty much the same?

As far as the actual application, how much weight is put on the personality/assessment test? Is there a chance they wouldn't call you in for an interview based on those results? I was asked to choose between two of the following for example, neither of which apply to me: Sometimes I get so mad I yell and scream or I often walk away when a job is too difficult. How do you answer between those two?

I know its a lot, but thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Welcome back, I take it you are a glutton for punishment? Kidding.

The nice thing about coming back is your application stands out in the que. Your name has a logo next to it indicating you worked here before. Does not matter how many times you worked there, the key is if you are listed as "rehireable" or not. If you left before by giving your two weeks and you were competent at your job you will be fine. We sometimes get people who reapply after job abandoning, those people have a hard time getting interviews but it is not impossible. I am very direct, why didnt it work out before and why should I believe it will now?

One thing I will encourage you to do is reach out to the store. If you do not give a number on an application at my store we immediately turn you down, we never email applicants. The number you put in your application is how we contact you when we need you to work. Any reason you didnt give yours?

As far as the assessment it depends on the store. Our store is considered "hard to hire" because we do not get many applicants (7 a week max) we are not allowed to use the assessment to decide whether to interview you or not. Lur99 who is another HRTM on here, his store does use the assessment so it just depends.

The assessment is not necessarily a "you suck or you are a bad person." It actually tells us which workcenters you are best suited for. Some people will get green for one assesment geared toward positions like flow or backroom but get a red for guest service positions like cashier or service desk.

Good luck! I came back after over 10 years. Target does not mind, they even welcome you back with the same team member number. (Its in the 2s which is funny because most new tms are in the 6s now I believe.

Last edited:
HR Zone said all the important things regarding rehiring. We don't email applicants either and I would turn you down as well. Like HR Zone said, give the store a call and ask to speak to HR.
My store uses the assessments, we get at least 7 applicants per day. If you score Red we can not proceed with your application. Most applications score with Green or yellow. I don't see Red very often.
There is no policy that prevents you from being rehired a third time.

Welcome back, I take it you are a glutton for punishment? Kidding.

The nice thing about coming back is your application stands out in the que. Your name has a logo next to it indicating you worked here before. Does not matter how many times you worked there, the key is if you are listed as "rehireable" or not. If you left before by giving your two weeks and you were competent at your job you will be fine. We sometimes get people who reapply after job abandoning, those people have a hard time getting interviews but it is not impossible. I am very direct, why didnt it work out before and why should I believe it will now?

One thing I will encourage you to do is reach out to the store. If you do not give a number on an application at my store we immediately turn you down, we never email applicants. The number you put in your application is how we contact you when we need you to work. Any reason you didnt give yours?

As far as the assessment it depends on the store. Our store is considered "hard to hire" because we do not get many applicants (7 a week max) we are not allowed to use the assessment to decide whether to interview you or not. Lur99 who is another HRTM on here, his store does use the assessment so it just depends.

The assessment is not necessarily a "you suck or you are a bad person." It actually tells you which workcenters you are best suited for. Some people will get green for one assesment geared toward positions like flow or backroom but get a red for guest service positions like cashier or service desk.

Good luck! I came back after over 10 years. Target does not mind, they even welcome you back with the same team member number. (Its in the 2s which is funny because most new tms are in the 6s now I believe.

Thanks for your reply. There wasn't a red asterisk on the application form indicating it was required so I didn't fill it in. I'm used to filling out forms online and only provide enough info as required. Didn't occur to me I should have provided it until after I submitted it.

I'll give the store a call and see what they can work out. I assume re-hires have to sit through orientation and training and such again?

Forgot to mention, the other two times I applied (in store) I don't recall there being a 'expected rate of pay' field. If you enter a value they aren't willing to offer you do they even bother interviewing? If they aren't willing to offer what you asked for what is that discussion like and when does it take place during the process? Is there any room for negation? Or is it pretty much "we'll give you $10 an hour, take it or leave it?"

Yes but your orientation will be much different. Its mostly videos these days, a couple in store activities, the old one was lots and lots of handbook and discussion among people who dont understand your ETL cannot and will not date you.

Forgot to mention, the other two times I applied (in store) I don't recall there being a 'expected rate of pay' field. If you enter a value they aren't willing to offer you do they even bother interviewing? If they aren't willing to offer what you asked for what is that discussion like and when does it take place during the process? Is there any room for negation? Or is it pretty much "we'll give you $10 an hour, take it or leave it?"

My store we offer a wage over the phone and you can take it or leave it. Some people are able to negotiate a higher wage during the job offer but I have only seen TLs do it. We had a flow person reject our offer. Like Lur said TMs dont really get to negotiate at my store. If they dont like the wage we turn them down. Team Leads have that luxury. We had a TL start at 20 an hour when we offered him much less. Must have been a shrewd negotiator lol.

Last edited:
Orientations are about 4 hours at our store. Mostly videos, dating will only be talked about when a new team member asks about dating rules.

As far as the actual application, how much weight is put on the personality/assessment test? Is there a chance they wouldn't call you in for an interview based on those results? I was asked to choose between two of the following for example, neither of which apply to me: Sometimes I get so mad I yell and scream or I often walk away when a job is too difficult. How do you answer between those two?

I know its a lot, but thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Ok, so which is the better answer here? Questions like this are actually helpful to screening applicants??

Received an email from the ETL HR asking me to give them a call back due to no number being listed. Have an interview tomorrow night. Can anyone give an insights as to what interview questions I should expect to be asked? Do they 'have' to ask them? I've worked at Target twice now and am applying for the same job as I had both those times. Hoping they'll just ask "so when can you start?" :)

Received an email from the ETL HR asking me to give them a call back due to no number being listed. Have an interview tomorrow night. Can anyone give an insights as to what interview questions I should expect to be asked? Do they 'have' to ask them? I've worked at Target twice now and am applying for the same job as I had both those times. Hoping they'll just ask "so when can you start?" :)

As far as I can tell the interview process is more formal now. Its Targets way of giving a level playing field, you will do fine.

8 years, wow! I don't think you'll recognize the company! good luck though... I think you'll find it hard to stick it out knowing how far downhill things have gone.

As of May they have officially gotten rid of the assessment. I assume people were having other people take it for them. We had people who don't speak English getting double greens

As of May they have officially gotten rid of the assessment. I assume people were having other people take it for them. We had people who don't speak English getting double greens

I am glad the assessment is gone. Honestly it was worthless and a pain for us HR TM when someone completed a paper application!

Why would you want to work here a 3rd time. Surly with summer coming up you can find a better summer job instead of the shitshow that about to start at Target with the E2E process

Paper apps are mostly for the hiring event before 4th quarter. Last year we had HR at a table by the door handing them out to complete in Starbucks.

What a shit show.....

I (as TL, 1st interview) passed 1 out of 20 people I interviewed. I wasn't even being too harsh. Don't f***ing tellme "I need a job" as your sole reason to apply here. Give me something. ANYTHING. No shit, you need a job.

My store doesn't have a hiring kiosk anymore, we lost them in the computer purge so now we get a lot more paper applications even though it's easy to apply on mobile now that the assessment is gonr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back