Answered Hired for Guest Advocate but next 2 weeks scheduled at checkout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Details: was hired a week ago as a guest advocate [edit: I have a lot of relative experience for high activity customer service, jobs which ended due to COVID - so I was told during my interviews that they wanted me at the service desk as soon as possible.] , but the next two weeks I’m working exclusively at registers aside from 2 cleaning shifts.

Is this common? I’d prefer to work at the service desk, so if it’s not common I’m going to bring it up to my TL.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The Tarshit wants you prove yourself first not mention they want you ready just in case somebody calls in or quits to take their place. God forbid they tell ya the truth and say prove yourself as cashier before going to the service desk instead of telling you oh yeah your roll is service desk. Probably people wouldn't take jobs if they were told this. The spot is like the doctor they lie.

My store doesn't differentiate on the schedule or breakout who is at the front lanes verses who is at the service desk. It's always 'guest advocate'. Although, everyone that is new is always cashiering for awhile before they even learn the service desk

Details: was hired a week ago as a guest advocate, but the next two weeks I’m working exclusively at registers aside from 2 cleaning shifts.Is this common? I’d prefer to work at the service desk, so if it’s not common I’m going to bring it up to my TL.Thanks in advance
Your hiring ETL may have miscommunicated the job title to you. A "cashier" at the registers IS a guest advocate. Ringing up sales, assisting guests and "advocating" for them at the register is the core function of the guest advocate, along with working as requested at self checkout and at the service desk on returns & exchanges, in-store pickup and drive-up.

S&E TMs primarily on the service desk are given a slightly different title like "service & engagement advocate".

Details: was hired a week ago as a guest advocate, but the next two weeks I’m working exclusively at registers aside from 2 cleaning shifts. Is this common? I’d prefer to work at the service desk, so if it’s not common I’m going to bring it up to my TL. Thanks in advance
Navi, in case we do so already, welcome to TBR!

The "official" job titles and department areas around the store were changed two years ago. When our job titles were changed, my ETL explained that Target's rationale for describing us as "advocates" was to "empower" the TM to "advocate" on behalf of the guest. In theory, if the guest has a price dispute or wants a damage discount, we have a bit more leeway than at other stores to "make it right" in order to "advocate" for our guests. This terminology is largely symbolic but we are given some authority to resolve many guest concerns without getting "a supervisor" (TL) or "a manager" (ETL) involved.

Your hiring ETL may have miscommunicated the job title to you. A "cashier" at the registers IS a guest advocate. Ringing up sales, assisting guests and "advocating" for them at the register is the core function of the guest advocate, along with working as requested at self checkout and at the service desk on returns & exchanges, in-store pickup and drive-up.

S&E TMs primarily on the service desk are given a slightly different title like "service & engagement advocate".
Because of my previous job experience, I was told specifically during my final interview by the ETLs at my store they wanted me at the service desk.

There is no one at my store with the "service & engagement advocate" role.

I was also trained at the service desk, I figure they don't how comfortable I am so after my next schedule is posted - if i'm not there yet I will notify them that I would prefer to work in an area with variety - where I can utilize my skillset. (I have a lot of experience with on-the-fly troubleshooting from my job which went on hiatus due to COVID)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back