Archived Hired on for one position, yet working another...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my dilemma. The ENTIRE reason I applied to Target was because I saw a posting for Food Ave, and applied. This is what I was contacted about, and while interviewing it was brought up I'd also need to work cart attendant. I had no problem, as I enjoyed running around, being active and on my feet, so I said alright. I also understand I would be required to work some shifts as a cashier as a backup. This was fine with me.

So far, only 3 of my 14 shifts have been scheduled as cart attendant, one of which was the training two weeks ago. I have no clue how to do the job I was hired to do, and haven't even been shown how to do Food Ave (even though I previously worked concession for sporting events, the entire reason I applied).

I'm wondering if I should talk to my HR person about this and see if I can start working shifts for the job I signed on with. What do you think?

You can bring it up but I'm pretty sure they will hit you with 'the needs of the store' line.
Good luck.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but a lot of management will pull that kind of crap.

Oh, and Welcome to The Break Room.

You can bring it up but I'm pretty sure they will hit you with 'the needs of the store' line.
Good luck.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but a lot of management will pull that kind of crap.

Oh, and Welcome to The Break Room.

The thing is, I've seen them pull people who aren't cart attendants to do the duties of one, and when I talked to my trainer, he told me he was the ONLY cart attendant before me and one other new hire. I know they may need cashiers, but why take others and train them to do the job I was hired for in the first place?

I didn't want to be a cashier mainly because of my disability. Repetitive motion, standing in one place and being occasionally treated like crap lead to triggers, and I've had anxiety attacks at work, it's not fun.
My shift as a cart attendant was alright, as I was walking around, constantly doing something.

I didn't want to be a cashier mainly because of my disability. Repetitive motion, standing in one place and being occasionally treated like crap lead to triggers, and I've had anxiety attacks at work, it's not fun.
As someone who gets anxiety attacks at work, they won't really care. It's kind of a "you'll get over it" thing for them. They'll make you do it until you get used to it.

I was hired as softlines, then thrown over to hardlines the second week, then thrown into electronics without them asking. I've been with target for a year and a half and I'm still getting scheduled goddamn cashier shifts

I was hired as softlines, then thrown over to hardlines the second week, then thrown into electronics without them asking. I've been with target for a year and a half and I'm still getting scheduled goddamn cashier shifts

They schedule salesfloor people as cashiers to help them get hours and not have to hire more cashiers and take hours away from people. Tell them you would rather have less hours, and they'd probably work with you.

The thing is, I've seen them pull people who aren't cart attendants to do the duties of one, and when I talked to my trainer, he told me he was the ONLY cart attendant before me and one other new hire. I know they may need cashiers, but why take others and train them to do the job I was hired for in the first place?

My shift as a cart attendant was alright, as I was walking around, constantly doing something.

I'm all sorts of confused. You were hired as Food Ave? Three of your shifts were for cart attendant, the other 11 were for cashier?

I'm all sorts of confused. You were hired as Food Ave? Three of your shifts were for cart attendant, the other 11 were for cashier?
I'm wondering if they hired for a fill- in of the horrible positions up front. Fa/carts with cashier to fill...

...I'd ask hr. Or the food Ave tl. We always need fa people.

At some stores, the cart attendant job was taken off the schedule. Cashier listing was used to cover those shifts.

Well, when I went in today, I plead my case to my TL, and was put on Cart attendant duty. As I said, our store has one other cart attendant. I'll talk to HR when there in, but hopefully I can get it straightened out.

oddly, my TL asked if I was trained for guest services, which they needed. No one seems to know where I was hired to be, so they just stick me on cashier. When I arrived, my other TL was pushing carts. I had a guest come up to me and notify me that a row of carts was just sitting in the middle of the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back