Archived Hiring Question (Seasonal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carramrod

Campus PD
Hello everyone!
I have a relative who is currently looking for a seasonal job to make a few extra bucks for Christmas. Our local Target has a seasonal position posted on the target jobs website, but he can't seem to apply to it. He asked me for help since I worked at Target before, and I figured he was just an idiot who couldn't use the online application system, but I'm honestly stumped too. Here's the issue:
When you go the job listing for the seasonal TM position and hit "apply" it brings you to the Target jobs site. The second pane on this site makes you select a store (we selected the proper one) and it then males you select the job you want to apply for and lists all the workcenters. I checked every workcenter available, however when you get to the next pane it says "this position is not currently available" for every position. So what gives? How do you complete an application for the seasonal jobs they have posted? At this point, I just told him to check sales floor and cashier even though the site claims there's no openings so he can at least get an application in. Anyone got a better idea?

When I originally applied at Target they had no cashier positions open apparently so I applied for Sales Floor... one phone call later "Hey so-and-so, we received your application and dadada come in for an interview" woohoo let's go.

Two days later at my interview "okay so we have no sales floor positions opened up right now, but we have lots of cashier positions opened and ready for filling" and I'm thinking "alright I was kind of psyched to be a sales floor worker stocking stuff." but still took the job since my starting $10/hr was a much needed improvement compared to my $8/hr job at a Subway where I was a closing Team Lead and the manager failed to schedule more than one person for me only to fill for the dinner rush. If you've ever worked at fast food, that dinner rush lasts for an unspecified time and is only slightly unpredictable. Some nights I'd be so swamped around 9-10pm I never fully got all my tasks done. You'd be surprised how busy it gets at a Subway located in a walmart at night that's open 24 hours.

Off on a tangent... but I just applied for Sales Floor and upon the interview process they said the position I originally intended to apply for was actually open and the one I actually applied for had no openings.

I think there's a section where you can leave a note or comments in the application. I'd mention it there.

Have your relative apply and select a few positions even if they are no openings. Tell him to call your store a day later and to ask for HR. He can tell HR which positions he would be interested in. Targets in my area are done with their seasonal hiring.

It's key to look at the date of those job postings. They could have filled the position already. But that doesn't mean they aren't still looking for help.

Thanks everyone! He eventually just checked a few positions and submitted the application. I believe he called the store HR today to follow up, but I'll have to check in with him. I figured if they had his application on file they'd give him a call if anything is open, since I know a lot of stores are hurting for help this time of year.

Have your relative apply and select a few positions even if they are no openings. Tell him to call your store a day later and to ask for HR. He can tell HR which positions he would be interested in. Targets in my area are done with their seasonal hiring.

Lur hit the nail on the head. By now most hires would start after Black Friday which isnt much help.

Some stores are not good about updating their openings. Like at my store, we accidently had our positions listed as regular rather than seasonal so if you applied for seasonal you were auto turned down.

Lur hit the nail on the head. By now most hires would start after Black Friday which isnt much help.

Some stores are not good about updating their openings. Like at my store, we accidently had our positions listed as regular rather than seasonal so if you applied for seasonal you were auto turned down.

We had issues with our postings updating correctly. Filled positions showed up as open for several days. I was told several stores had the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back